Learning the Ukulele in 6 Months

Kyle23

Reaction score
I posted this in Uke Talk, but I thought it would be suited for these boards also. I started playing january this year after wanting a ukulele for 2 years. Procrastination... Anyways, I've been on this forum since day 1 taking great advice from it's users and I thought I'd give some guidance like that of what was given to me. I remember just wanting to quit about a week in. I hit the "rookie wall". Hard. I got to a point where I didn't see myself improving. I recorded myself since day 1 so I could watch myself from a 3rd person perspective and hear/see my flaws. I was inspired by a video just this past week about a girl teaching herself to dance in 365 days and it gave me the idea to go back and put a few of my videos together to show my progress. Let me first say, I'm still not very great, but with a lot of work, you can see the improvement. I'd really like to help inspire people who are beginners at whatever it is they're starting to keep at it and the results will come. Thanks for reading and here's my little video of my progress over about 6 months.

Great idea Kyle, the video really shows an improvement from the first days to most recently. I really hope other beginners do see this and get re-inspired.

I'm coming to the end of my fourth month and I definitely feel discouraged. I appreciate your video and your inspiration. Thank you

I'm coming to the end of my fourth month and I definitely feel discouraged. I appreciate your video and your inspiration. Thank you

I'm glad I could help. Just set realistic goals and keep on chuggin along.

Kyle, thanks for sharing. You have made amazing strides, and I agree that other beginners can surely be inspired by your progress. The idea of taping yourself so you can measure your progress seems like a great motivational tool for any beginner.

However, I want to gently encourage others not to measure their progress by comparing themselves directly to Kyle or to anybody else. We all learn at our own pace!

Kyle, thanks for sharing. You have made amazing strides, and I agree that other beginners can surely be inspired by your progress. The idea of taping yourself so you can measure your progress seems like a great motivational tool for any beginner.

However, I want to gently encourage others not to measure their progress by comparing themselves directly to Kyle or to anybody else. We all learn at our own pace!

Ahhh good point on your last 2 sentences. Didn't even think of that. Thanks for adding it.

Good on you, Kyle. That is great progress and nice to see it documented like that.

I'm at 18 months in with no real musical background, and I have surprised myslef both with hitting walls and moving beyond them.

Amazingly enough, that whole "practice" thing really has helped ;)

It is fun to share this journey with you and the other members here.

Now, have you put an entry in the Seasons, yet? That has really helped push me along because it has deadlines. I am working on a song for Sunday's deadline that has really pushed me to do more than I could before and I am *almost* there. Plus, the Seasonistas are a fun and supportive bunch.

Last edited:
Good on you, Kyle.

I'm at 18 months in with no real musical background, and I have surprised myslef both with hitting walls and moving beyond them.

Amazingly enough, that whole "practice" thing really has helped ;)

It is fun to share this journey with you and the other members here.

Now, have you put an entry in the Seasons, yet? That has really helped push me along because it has deadlines. I am working on a song for Sunday's deadline that has really pushed me to do more than I could before and I am *almost* there. Plus, the Seasonistas are a fun and supportive bunch.

It truly is amazing. If I showed myself this video before I started, I'd never believe it was actually me. I too came in blind with no background. ANd I've done one song for the Seasons of the uke only because no topics have come up that I have a song for. I'm guessing most people here see the subject and learn a song for it before that week ends, so I might have to try that.

It truly is amazing. If I showed myself this video before I started, I'd never believe it was actually me. I too came in blind with no background. ANd I've done one song for the Seasons of the uke only because no topics have come up that I have a song for. I'm guessing most people here see the subject and learn a song for it before that week ends, so I might have to try that.

I guess the "seasoned" players (pun? you bet!) have a repetoire of songs they can pull from.

Us nUUbs have to learn a song special for each one unless we just happen to have one that fits.

Actually, the song I am doing this week is a repeat from about a year ago, but I am doing it much differently.

I guess the "seasoned" players (pun? you bet!) have a repetoire of songs they can pull from.

Us nUUbs have to learn a song special for each one unless we just happen to have one that fits.

Actually, the song I am doing this week is a repeat from about a year ago, but I am doing it much differently.

Haha I bet they do. I have about 30 or so songs and none of them ever get a topic! And I can't wait to see what you have for this weeks.

Cool idea and great job!
I can only hope to have as much progress in 6 mos.....
I love my Luna too! :)

well done,
i have been trying to play since last october, with no musical background, what i do to keep motivated is pick out songs i really like to learn to play, then use them as practice for chord changes, then pick songs with new chords ie Bb as practice to try and nail the chord,
and to stretch myself enter seasons,

Wonderful to hear you progress, your sense of timing and musicality just explodes across the months. and isn't this a great site to get feedback and encouragement? UU! Wooo!

Wonderful to hear you progress, your sense of timing and musicality just explodes across the months. and isn't this a great site to get feedback and encouragement? UU! Wooo!

Thanks. And it really is. I've learned so much from here. Glad I found this site.

Great job! I am at week 1 and and already feel I could hit the wall. There is so much info and I do not know where to start.

What was your best teaching tools?

Thanks!
Alex

Poop. I got sick last night (sinuses acting up) and did not get to record for the seasons.

But we can all keep improving together, anyway!

Great job! I am at week 1 and and already feel I could hit the wall. There is so much info and I do not know where to start.

What was your best teaching tools?

Thanks!
Alex

I watched A LOT of youtube videos. That's basically how I learned.

Appreciate it! What kind of Luna do you have?

I have the Luna Maluhia Concert. Love the design on it but they have a lot of cool ukes.
I tried a bunch of concert ukes and thought this one sounded better than even some more expensive ukes I tried. I wanted a little mellower sound and this one sounded perfect which I'm sure was partly due to being set up properly.

kyle23,

thanks so much for this post! i'm new to ukulele underground (been a member for about twenty minutes!) but i've been playing uke for about a year or two, and i totally get discouraged often.

i've been playing a lot more recently, and my improvement has shown. seems like the key to playing any instrument better is practice!

thanks again for the inspiring video :)

Top Bottom