Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning the Ukulele in 6 Months

Default Learning the Ukulele in 6 Months

I posted this in Uke Talk, but I thought it would be suited for these boards also. I started playing january this year after wanting a ukulele for 2 years. Procrastination... Anyways, I've been on this forum since day 1 taking great advice from it's users and I thought I'd give some guidance like that of what was given to me. I remember just wanting to quit about a week in. I hit the "rookie wall". Hard. I got to a point where I didn't see myself improving. I recorded myself since day 1 so I could watch myself from a 3rd person perspective and hear/see my flaws. I was inspired by a video just this past week about a girl teaching herself to dance in 365 days and it gave me the idea to go back and put a few of my videos together to show my progress. Let me first say, I'm still not very great, but with a lot of work, you can see the improvement. I'd really like to help inspire people who are beginners at whatever it is they're starting to keep at it and the results will come. Thanks for reading and here's my little video of my progress over about 6 months.

Just Feel The Groooooove

Great idea Kyle, the video really shows an improvement from the first days to most recently. I really hope other beginners do see this and get re-inspired.

I'm coming to the end of my fourth month and I definitely feel discouraged. I appreciate your video and your inspiration. Thank you
    Laura
    Kala SMLT
    🙈🙉🙊

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1$ View Post
    I'm coming to the end of my fourth month and I definitely feel discouraged. I appreciate your video and your inspiration. Thank you
    I'm glad I could help. Just set realistic goals and keep on chuggin along.
    Just Feel The Groooooove

Kyle, thanks for sharing. You have made amazing strides, and I agree that other beginners can surely be inspired by your progress. The idea of taping yourself so you can measure your progress seems like a great motivational tool for any beginner.

However, I want to gently encourage others not to measure their progress by comparing themselves directly to Kyle or to anybody else. We all learn at our own pace!
    Live long, prosper, and play your ukulele.

Quote Originally Posted by cantsing View Post
    Kyle, thanks for sharing. You have made amazing strides, and I agree that other beginners can surely be inspired by your progress. The idea of taping yourself so you can measure your progress seems like a great motivational tool for any beginner.

However, I want to gently encourage others not to measure their progress by comparing themselves directly to Kyle or to anybody else. We all learn at our own pace!
    Ahhh good point on your last 2 sentences. Didn't even think of that. Thanks for adding it.
    Just Feel The Groooooove

Good on you, Kyle. That is great progress and nice to see it documented like that.

I'm at 18 months in with no real musical background, and I have surprised myslef both with hitting walls and moving beyond them.

Amazingly enough, that whole "practice" thing really has helped

It is fun to share this journey with you and the other members here.

Now, have you put an entry in the Seasons, yet? That has really helped push me along because it has deadlines. I am working on a song for Sunday's deadline that has really pushed me to do more than I could before and I am *almost* there. Plus, the Seasonistas are a fun and supportive bunch.
    Last edited by pootsie; 07-19-2013 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pootsie View Post
    Good on you, Kyle.

I'm at 18 months in with no real musical background, and I have surprised myslef both with hitting walls and moving beyond them.

Amazingly enough, that whole "practice" thing really has helped

It is fun to share this journey with you and the other members here.

Now, have you put an entry in the Seasons, yet? That has really helped push me along because it has deadlines. I am working on a song for Sunday's deadline that has really pushed me to do more than I could before and I am *almost* there. Plus, the Seasonistas are a fun and supportive bunch.
    It truly is amazing. If I showed myself this video before I started, I'd never believe it was actually me. I too came in blind with no background. ANd I've done one song for the Seasons of the uke only because no topics have come up that I have a song for. I'm guessing most people here see the subject and learn a song for it before that week ends, so I might have to try that.
    Just Feel The Groooooove

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle23 View Post
    It truly is amazing. If I showed myself this video before I started, I'd never believe it was actually me. I too came in blind with no background. ANd I've done one song for the Seasons of the uke only because no topics have come up that I have a song for. I'm guessing most people here see the subject and learn a song for it before that week ends, so I might have to try that.
    I guess the "seasoned" players (pun? you bet!) have a repetoire of songs they can pull from.

Us nUUbs have to learn a song special for each one unless we just happen to have one that fits.

Actually, the song I am doing this week is a repeat from about a year ago, but I am doing it much differently.

Quote Originally Posted by pootsie View Post
    I guess the "seasoned" players (pun? you bet!) have a repetoire of songs they can pull from.

Us nUUbs have to learn a song special for each one unless we just happen to have one that fits.

Actually, the song I am doing this week is a repeat from about a year ago, but I am doing it much differently.
    Haha I bet they do. I have about 30 or so songs and none of them ever get a topic! And I can't wait to see what you have for this weeks.
    Just Feel The Groooooove

Thread Information