Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Learning the Ukulele in 6 Months

Yep, bumps for valid posts is a good thing in my book.

Any chance you can put together a video of where your playing is now?

I am currently 3 months into the odysey

Quote Originally Posted by ZappCatt View Post
    Yep, bumps for valid posts is a good thing in my book.

Any chance you can put together a video of where your playing is now?

I am currently 3 months into the odysey
    To be honest, I'm still basically just a strummer so the difference might not be as easy to see from then until now. But I did notice in the day 185 part that I wasn't very clean switching chords throughout which made me cringe a little watching it. Basically if I played the same song as I did in that, it would just sound smoother. Actually I played the same song in this sound sample a couple years ago, so these videos are from when I was a year in. Not sure if there's much of a difference

Here's the same song. Definitely much smoother
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uz_zMzo4rIE

And here's a random one around the same time. I'm not much further along from these videos as of now, but I've kinda been playing sporadically over the past two years
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5M4IUp8tj7E

How's your 3 months been? A lot of progress? Got any videos?
    Last edited by Kyle23; 03-12-2016 at 10:48 AM.
    Just Feel The Groooooove

Kyle that is fantastic. I'm at the 185 stage AND NO WHERE NEAR what you achieved lol. I'm much older then you-near 50-so not picking up things as quickly. My niece got a uke for her birthday two weeks ago (she's 14)-you should see the speed of her learning!
    Anyway-the last video you posted above-what's the song?

Great thread. Keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic68 View Post
    Kyle that is fantastic. I'm at the 185 stage AND NO WHERE NEAR what you achieved lol. I'm much older then you-near 50-so not picking up things as quickly. My niece got a uke for her birthday two weeks ago (she's 14)-you should see the speed of her learning!
    Anyway-the last video you posted above-what's the song?

Great thread. Keep us updated.
    Uh oh, I'm about half way to 50 so I better learn as much as I can now!

Is she recording herself playing occasionally? I can't stress how much recording and watching myself play helped me. It really helped me catch my mistakes that I would miss while playing. I'm 3 years in now and I still record myself while learning a new song. Everything sounds good while playing it, but when you hear it back fully focused and not playing, the errors just pop right out at you.

As for the song, I watched a video on HMS a couple years ago and changed it up a lot and added different chords so I guess it's one that I made up. Maybe I should name it haha
    Just Feel The Groooooove

Recently remembered about this thread since I've been teaching my nephew how to play. The last post in here by cosmic86 made me think about how fast kids learn. It's crazy. My nephew picked it up so fast it was insane and all of the younger kids on youtube who just belt out brilliant playing really astounds me.

Again, I hope my thread/video has inspired a few people over the past few years and here is another quick video, but this time of my nephew on his first day.
    Just Feel The Groooooove

Hi,Kyle--it is so inspired to see your sharing.
    I think the insistance is the best thing for u--

Beautiful. Bravo. I hope I can teach someone one day . . . when I really know how to play!

Thank you both!

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    Beautiful. Bravo. I hope I can teach someone one day . . . when I really know how to play!
    Honestly, if you can teach someone the basics and a few easy chords and let them freely learn on their own, I think it would be a decent way to start them off.
    Just Feel The Groooooove

It's a brilliant idea to keep track of your progress! I'd like to setup to record my playing also, just audio, no video tho...i'm trying to find way to setup just basic recording...

Quote Originally Posted by panda84 View Post
    It's a brilliant idea to keep track of your progress! I'd like to setup to record my playing also, just audio, no video tho...i'm trying to find way to setup just basic recording...
    Computer, USB mic, & Audacity software, which is free.
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & being different.....

Thread Information