Learning the Ukulele in 6 Months

I've been playing for 2 months and the songs I have learnt and scales and what not has been great!! Now onto go and buy a new uke!!! Hehe maybe do a video soon with a song lol!

Sorry after looking at my receipt it's been a month on the 20th of this month. So only a month.

Last edited:
kyle23,

thanks so much for this post! i'm new to ukulele underground (been a member for about twenty minutes!) but i've been playing uke for about a year or two, and i totally get discouraged often.

i've been playing a lot more recently, and my improvement has shown. seems like the key to playing any instrument better is practice!

thanks again for the inspiring video :)

Thank you and I'm happy your first post is in my thread! I hope you continue to improve and when you get frustrated just know that the harder it is, the happier you'll be when you finally nail what you're working on.

By watching your day 1 video I think you were born to play the ukulele Kyle. Great job!

Shameless bump for the new people of the past few months :p

By watching your day 1 video I think you were born to play the ukulele Kyle. Great job!

Sorry for not replying sooner! But thank you so much. I've progressed quite a bit and it feels great.

Love the video, any thought on how to improve my strumming? I can't seem to get the hang of it

Kyle, you are supremely skilled now. Very strong playing. Impressive speed of learning.

Maybe it's those blustery, snowy days, when the wind whips straight up I-90 (as it just did) dumping mounds of white up your way, and you can hunker and practice. More likely, it's the dedicated mind and still nimble hands of youth. Whatever it is, you rocked it, K. And big time!

PS. I slept overnight in my truck in the Walmart parking lot in Batavia, NY, just up the way from you, a few months ago when I drove out to New England to hike.

Kyle, you are supremely skilled now. Very strong playing. Impressive speed of learning.

Maybe it's those blustery, snowy days, when the wind whips straight up I-90 (as it just did) dumping mounds of white up your way, and you can hunker and practice. More likely, it's the dedicated mind and still nimble hands of youth. Whatever it is, you rocked it, K. And big time!

PS. I slept overnight in my truck in the Walmart parking lot in Batavia, NY, just up the way from you, a few months ago when I drove out to New England to hike.

I really appreciate it, you have no idea. And yeah, I put in a lot of work, and I'm still doing so except a little less because I've been working a lot lately at my new job. It's so cliche, but hard work really does pay off and even though it was hard and frustrating it was all worth it. I'm still not happy where I'm at currently, but I'm still trying to get better especially with finger picking.

And that's so true haha, the weather really makes me not feel like crap for staying inside and practicing. If I would have bought my first uke in the summer, I wouldn't have much progress. I haven't been to Batavia in so long, how'd you like your stay there for the night haha. I went to Chicago a few years ago to see a friend. Pretty nice place!

It's been a couple years which is crazy, not sure how I ended up back in this thread but it seemed like I inspired a lot of beginners back when I first posted this. I feel like it's annoying to bump this again, but I hope it can help a few people out by following a few of the steps that I took early on. So here's to the new wave of beginners!

No reason not to bump it up. If your obvious progress in a relatively short time inspires a few folks, then only good karma can come of it :).

Yep, bumps for valid posts is a good thing in my book.

Any chance you can put together a video of where your playing is now?

I am currently 3 months into the odysey

Yep, bumps for valid posts is a good thing in my book.

Any chance you can put together a video of where your playing is now?

I am currently 3 months into the odysey

To be honest, I'm still basically just a strummer so the difference might not be as easy to see from then until now. But I did notice in the day 185 part that I wasn't very clean switching chords throughout which made me cringe a little watching it. Basically if I played the same song as I did in that, it would just sound smoother. Actually I played the same song in this sound sample a couple years ago, so these videos are from when I was a year in. Not sure if there's much of a difference

Here's the same song. Definitely much smoother

And here's a random one around the same time. I'm not much further along from these videos as of now, but I've kinda been playing sporadically over the past two years

How's your 3 months been? A lot of progress? Got any videos?

Last edited:
Kyle that is fantastic. I'm at the 185 stage AND NO WHERE NEAR what you achieved lol. I'm much older then you-near 50-so not picking up things as quickly. My niece got a uke for her birthday two weeks ago (she's 14)-you should see the speed of her learning!
Anyway-the last video you posted above-what's the song?

Great thread. Keep us updated.

Kyle that is fantastic. I'm at the 185 stage AND NO WHERE NEAR what you achieved lol. I'm much older then you-near 50-so not picking up things as quickly. My niece got a uke for her birthday two weeks ago (she's 14)-you should see the speed of her learning!
Anyway-the last video you posted above-what's the song?

Great thread. Keep us updated.

Uh oh, I'm about half way to 50 so I better learn as much as I can now!

Is she recording herself playing occasionally? I can't stress how much recording and watching myself play helped me. It really helped me catch my mistakes that I would miss while playing. I'm 3 years in now and I still record myself while learning a new song. Everything sounds good while playing it, but when you hear it back fully focused and not playing, the errors just pop right out at you.

As for the song, I watched a video on HMS a couple years ago and changed it up a lot and added different chords so I guess it's one that I made up. Maybe I should name it haha

Recently remembered about this thread since I've been teaching my nephew how to play. The last post in here by cosmic86 made me think about how fast kids learn. It's crazy. My nephew picked it up so fast it was insane and all of the younger kids on youtube who just belt out brilliant playing really astounds me.

Again, I hope my thread/video has inspired a few people over the past few years and here is another quick video, but this time of my nephew on his first day.

Hi,Kyle--it is so inspired to see your sharing.
I think the insistance is the best thing for u--

Beautiful. Bravo. I hope I can teach someone one day . . . when I really know how to play!

Thank you both!

Beautiful. Bravo. I hope I can teach someone one day . . . when I really know how to play!

Honestly, if you can teach someone the basics and a few easy chords and let them freely learn on their own, I think it would be a decent way to start them off.

It's a brilliant idea to keep track of your progress! I'd like to setup to record my playing also, just audio, no video tho...i'm trying to find way to setup just basic recording...

Top Bottom