76th Season of the Ukulele - Happy Birthday Jerry!

Pueo

Reaction score
Aloha everyone,
I just realized that my being in Hawaii must be driving the East Coasters, and even more so the Europeans, absolutely crazy!!!
I just finished breakfast.

This Thursday, August 1st, will be the late Jerry Garcia's 71st birthday.

This season will be all about songs performed by Jerry Garcia and/or the Grateful Dead. This is a very vast repertoire, ranging from Rock & Roll to folk to bluegrass.

If you need confirmation or suggestions for a song, check http://www.rukind.com and click on Grateful Dead tabs. They have a comprehensive list (and many tabs/lyrics) of pretty much every song they ever performed.

There were not many rules at Grateful Dead concerts, so please feel free to make your videos however you want, multitracking, etc.
All I ask is that the ukulele be the main instrument used to perform the song, and I would like to see you perform the song.
Bonus Entries? I cannot really think about how something would be a bonus, as there is so much material available that fits in with the Season.

My wife and I will select the winners - they will just be our favorites.

I am really looking forward to seeing what you folks come up with!

Prizes - I have 90 tracks of unreleased Grateful Dead songs from live concerts. Winners will receive "bootleg" discs of live music. I am thinking it will probably be top three but we will just have to wait and see.

Please do not post any videos in THIS season until Season 75 is over. Love the Imaginary Season by the way so perhaps that can be the Bonus track location for this season.

Deadline for entries is 11:59:59 PM on Sunday, August 4, 2013.

PLAYLIST BONUS

Last edited:
Bonus points for filming at Analy HS? In the river in Cazadero? Going to be another fun week for sure ;)

Aloha everyone,
I just realized that my being in Hawaii must be driving the East Coasters, and even more so the Europeans, absolutely crazy!!!
I just finished breakfast.

[snip]
Please do not post any videos in THIS season until Season 75 is over. Love the Imaginary Season by the way so perhaps that can be the Bonus track location for this season.

Deadline for entries is 11:59:59 PM on Sunday, August 4, 2013.

(Video and playlist are coning soon!)

Pueo. There's supposed to be a one-day overlap between one season finishing and the next season beginning. And it's not the Europeans, but the Australians who will be suffering. Their Sunday is already over.

Mahalo nui loa, Pueo!

Looks like a great season for sure. Now...the Jerry connection can be songs he performed with the Dead, or songs that he wrote in some way? The one I'm thinking of was one he wrote music to...Robert Hunter wrote the lyric.

Mahalo nui loa, Pueo!

Looks like a great season for sure. Now...the Jerry connection can be songs he performed with the Dead, or songs that he wrote in some way? The one I'm thinking of was one he wrote music to...Robert Hunter wrote the lyric.
Excellent question! I would say any Garcia/Hunter tune would certainly be allowed. I was trying to focus on songs Jerry specifically performed, whether on any of his solo projects or with the Dead, but as long as there is a connection go for it!

I don't think I can name a Grateful Dead song. Wikipedia here I come.

Pueo. There's supposed to be a one-day overlap between one season finishing and the next season beginning. And it's not the Europeans, but the Australians who will be suffering. Their Sunday is already over.

Host sets the rules but yes, by convention the new season starts on Sunday morning at some flavour of continental US time so there is an overlap. No one is actually disadvantaged, though as the season ends at whatever local time corresponds to midnight Sunday, Hawaii time. (11am Monday for us in the UK - until the clocks go back, that is.)

Last edited:

Just check the link Pueo posted in the OP. There's fantastic scope as they have done a host of covers as well as their own original songs. Even a died in the wool folkie like me can find suitable material.

Go to http://www.rukind.com and click on Grateful Dead Guitar Tabs.
This is not necessarily about original Grateful Dead songs, but Jerry and the Dead covered many, many songs, including country, folk, bluegrass...
Also many Dylan songs and many 60's Rock standards. I promise, there is A LOT to choose from.

Was this posted? Oh well- in the event that folks may not know Dead songs, this is a list of covers they did.
"You Ain't Woman Enough" by Loretta Lynn must have been a pretty funny one

Was this posted? Oh well- in the event that folks may not know Dead songs, this is a list of covers they did.
"You Ain't Woman Enough" by Loretta Lynn must have been a pretty funny one
Thanks for posting this. I didn't see it, but there was another good list posted. It all helps.

Hey, didn't you just do about four of these last week? Are you going to have to learn new songs this week? I'm sure you'll be okay.

Top Bottom