Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp expanded and revised

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
Aloha, UU Ohana,

just a note to let you know that I've rearranged Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp into a TRIO of helps:

1) UBC-Self-Examination Tool for Ukulele Proficiency (SET-UP) :)
2) UBC-Uncle Rod' Ukulele Boot Camp (rev 2013)
3) UBC-FREE Songbook (2011)

actually all 3 parts are FREE for you to use and pass along :)

To those of you who choose to tune 'differently' (from G-C-E-A), please supply the appropriate chord diagrams to replace the GCEA diagrams on the Practice Sheets. That said, you may also use the Practice Sheets for any chorded instrument with the appropriate chord diagram substitutions :)

links are in my signature below.

keep uke'in', everybody!

Mahalo,

Last edited:
Thanks for offering these great resources!

Excellent! I wondered about the C6 on the G page myself . . .

I made myself a copy in with transpositions into thirteen of the fifteen keys. I figured Cb and C# just don't come up all that often . . .

As always, thank you Uncle Rod. Any first-time readers, or people new to the uke, please click on Uncle Rod's Mediafire link and download. The Boot Camp is perfection and will help out a lot.

Thanks again for providing a wonderful resource! I am using it now to learn and it has been very helpful.

Just have to say using Uncle Rod's method has taken me further along then all the other resources at my beck and call . Can't Thank you enough for this great way to learn the Uke . You Da Man Uncle Rod !

Last edited:
Thank you, Uncle Rod! You're the cat's!

It can't be repeated enough: if you are new to the 'ukulele, Uncle Rod is one of the best resources you will find. The Boot Camp is not the most comprehensive program, but that is exactly why it is so useful. It's not so much material that it's overwhelming, yet it is enough that you can learn the basics, and it also does not outlive its usefulness. A lot of us still use Uncle Rod's tools regularly as a warmup or refresher. I am not a great 'uke player, but I am able to play a lot of complex chords and change smoothly between them. I can thank Uncle Rod for that.

I'm going to take this camping with me this weekend and try my hand at it. Thanks for the great resource!

Thanks Uncle Rod. Forced me to go back and start some chord practice after taking the "test". 4 & 3 strums I can do but I'm not even close to 2 strums when I get to Bm! (even the 3 strums slows up) I printed some blank chord grids and put them over the ones you already have. Then I marked in the Baritone chords for those keys. This is really going to help me. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words of appreciation... I appreciate it! :)

Great idea, quiltingshirely, re: placing blank diagrams over the GCEA ones to get your Baritone chords up front and personal :)

If any of you have some suggestions for improvement, please PM me.

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
Hey JonThysell, may I make a suggestion?

after you work through a Practice Sheet, say key of C, try this:

line 1 - 2 or 3 times at 8 strums per chord, then
line 2 (once through) then back to line 1 a couple more times;

then on to line 2 again, then on to lines 3 and 4, then back
to line 1, then lines 2-4, then on to line 5 ending with C-2 strums,
F-2 strums, and C-3 strums.

This will add a little variety and intersperse easier chords among
the more complex/difficult ones :)

NOTE: for each succeeding Practice Sheet, you may use a similar
ending with the final printed ('key') chord (2 strums), then the 3rd chord
from line 1 (2 strums), then back to the 'key' chord for 3 strums.

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
I just updated the UR-UBC Songbook to include Practice Sheets for each of the songs... to
show how you can create your own to learn the songs you love to sing and play :)

keep uke'in'

Thanks Uncle Rod. I still use the Bootcamp exercises for warmup, and to refresh my old, old brain.

Hello Uncle Rod, you have provided a very good training tool for beginners like myself !

I am having trouble locating the Chord Diagrams on your link. I see the Practice Sheets but not the Chord Diagrams. I want to use your diagrams to make sure I am using the correct finger on each string when playing the chord.

Thanks.

A++ material!! Thanks for all the hard work and then just gifting to the rest of us! Really good stuff!

I'm a total newbie. I just found this thread and trying the Practice Sheet #1. This is my first stringed instrument and I'm having loads of fun. 2 1/2 weeks since I first got a uke and I'm a little addicted. I'm doing this and UU 101. I hope this helps!

Rodney

Kukui SK-220
Islander MAT

Top Bottom