Help with identification

hansentj

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm Tyler. This may be poor forum etiquette as my first (and I'll be honest, possibly only) post and if it is, please feel free to tell me to bugger off.

I inherited this uke a couple of years ago and it's been sitting in my office with all my guitars doing nothing. A couple days ago it occurred to me it was silly to just let it sit there and I should either commit to learning to play it or sell it. Sadly, with how much I have going on in my life right now, I can't find the time to start learning. So I'm trying to figure out some details on the instrument and it appears you good folks might be able to help me. I appears to be a Martin Baritone, which according to my limited research, was built possibly back in the 60's and Martin no longer makes. It's very possible it's a fake and not worth a dime but if so, it's actually a pretty darn good fake, the quality is pretty darn good. The only thing that seems suspect to me is that I can not for the life of me find a serial number. What do you guys think?

FeoBBEI.jpg

BfnM5yw.jpg

ySzotEH.jpg

3tOvZLH.jpg

Martin didn't use serial numbers on their ukuleles. Looks good to me, almost mint. Is there a case with it?

Martin didn't use serial numbers on their ukuleles. Looks good to me, almost mint. Is there a case with it?

It did come with a case, although the case is nothing to write home about in terms of quality.

2enAnez.jpg

kqIiXkP.jpg

I doubt that's the OHSC

Looks like the real deal to me. This is worth some coin to a Martin fan.

Congrats....quite a collectible uke. Some would say the baritone uke to which all others must be compared. Go to YouTube and search Martin baritone ukulele. Can send pics to ukulele hall of fame, elderly, etc. I'd say it's worth $1200 up to ??????

Nothing looks fake about it to me.....that stamp indicates it was made after 1962. Looks like it is in great condition. If you are not going to play it, I suggest you put it up for sale on this site in the marketplace. Good people on this site who know ukuleles. That is a desirable baritone and you could get a fair price for it here.

Nothing looks fake about it to me.....that stamp indicates it was made after 1962. Looks like it is in great condition. If you are not going to play it, I suggest you put it up for sale on this site in the marketplace. Good people on this site who know ukuleles. That is a desirable baritone and you could get a fair price for it here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I also had my friends at the acousticguitarforum take a look and they narrowed it down to a '60's (likely '64 or '65) Style 51 Baritone Uke based upon the stamp and the tortoise binding. So it looks like both forums are in agreement. And I think I will be listing it on here pretty soon. Thanks everyone for your help!

you'll be sorrrrryy!!!! There will come a time when you realize what you had. If you play your guitars up above the 5th fret because you can easily do 7ths-9ths and beyond--and you don't do all 6 strings when you are playing chords which need one finger dedicated for each string, and you only have four fingers to the front, the uke makes a lot of sense.

Yes It was built post 62 by the stamp in the soundhole and it is in mint conditon.. I'd think twice about sellig this one..hardly you find ones in this conditon.
it's a 62+ model 51 baritone a real beauty with faux tortise binding... in the range of 1000- 1200 low is for quick sale, and high is for actual cost worth...

Top Bottom