Bad Picture, but Impressive-Looking Uke -- LFDM

Aloha UU and "Magnificent 7" club, here's my LFdM on the way: Alaskan Yellow Cedar over Quilted Maple with Koa binding and back strip. My wife's name is inlayed on the 12th fret.

Attachments

• Don Hall LFdM Front.jpg
    Don Hall LFdM Front.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Don Hall LFdM Back.jpg
    Don Hall LFdM Back.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 35
I guess there are seven so here's mine!! Hope to get next week and give my opinion

LFDM (1).jpgLFDM (2).jpg

I just played the ukuleles this morning and I can tell their tone is outstanding. The sound is rich and really open sounding no need for time to be broken in as its projection was crisp and loud... however the action was a little too low for me but we are adjusting all the ukes....beautiful build and very interesting look...

Ya, I totally agree but he emailed me today saying this was the first time he used the mandolin fret wire as it was requested by a customer in Hawaii that wants to buy two of these four from us. It's not common knowledge or sense that the tang is fatter ton thinner wire. They always give fret gauge. This customer also requested action below 2mm. I feel bad for Luis. He's a great luthier.

Hi Andrew, how's that side sound port?? I think it's Luis' first uke that have a side sound port.

Aloha Andrew and Mike..
They look better than I imagined...like dannys one....I am not a fan of cut off though....sound port OK....will be waiting for your videos on them....on the ukulelereview.com

Hi Andrew, how's that side sound port?? I think it's Luis' first uke that have a side sound port.

the SSP is different for Classical Guitar builders(they usually do not use them) ...but I have seen some classical guitars with two sound holes on the top(upper bout) of the guitar...

I did not know was his first SSP...looked OK to me...

hope Andrew can record the Lfdm's soon..maybe tonight or Monday...

Just found this thread (I've been out of touch I guess). So glad to see the final pics of the Magnificent 7! Can't wait to hear these beauties :)

curses! I just got my ukulele in, but I'm at work and can't play it. My first reaction is WOW!!! This thing looks better than what I was expecting. Nobody really said much about the finish--I'm very very happy with it. And everything is extremely sharp. Sure, there are a few minor things that could've been better, but honestly, I have never seen a uke without at least a tiny little flaw. So frustrating not to be able to try it out though--looks so very beautiful. I was thinking of selling it to fund some other crazy purchases I've made recently, but this is going to be tough

curses! I just got my ukulele in, but I'm at work and can't play it. My first reaction is WOW!!! This thing looks better than what I was expecting. Nobody really said much about the finish--I'm very very happy with it. And everything is extremely sharp. Sure, there are a few minor things that could've been better, but honestly, I have never seen a uke without at least a tiny little flaw. So frustrating not to be able to try it out though--looks so very beautiful. I was thinking of selling it to fund some other crazy purchases I've made recently, but this is going to be tough

Can you at least take some good close up pics!!

Wow, I am impressed! And I don't impress easily. Some of you know that I have played some of the best custom instruments you can find. I have bought and sold a lot of instrument, and many of them were great. This LFDM is just plain awesome. I was thinking that I might sell it, but I don't know if I can. It looks even better than the pictures--when I look at it, I feel like an ukulele superhero. The sharp lines and the curves are just so great, and none of it feel forced. But of course none of it matters without the sound. And wow, the sound. I don't know if it's the macassar ebony, or the sinker redwood, or the lattice bracing, or just Luis, but it is so smooth, so precise, so sweet. I used to own a Kris Barnett tenor--I think that was maybe the only uke that had the combination of being quite as smooth and sweet as this one. I've got to say, when I play it, I feel sort of the way when I play my Moore Bettah (I still like the Moore Bettah better, bc its overall feel is just amazing, but the LFDM might even sound better). It's resonant, clean, smooth, no buzzing, precise, great overtones. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the sound. I was not expecting it to be this good

ok now you make me want to get another LFDM :drool:

Top Bottom