Let the Custom Ukulele Art Gallery Open!

DavidB

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
One of my favorite things to do, as I am sure yours, is to look at the gorgeous pieces of art that are your custom ukes. Because of this, I decided to create an art gallery to have a centralized place where we can all enjoy the beauty of these instruments, and to encourage anyone who is considering a custom build with ideas. So, if you have a custom ukulele, we would all love to see it, and to know why you decided to make one. Hope you all enjoy :D

Guess I'll go first, I decided to order a custom uke as my second uke, because even though I am a beginner, I knew I would be playing forever. So instead of buying an intermediate uke(s), I figured I'd save some money and just get the one I've always wanted.
I love unique and personal things, and I can think of nothing more unique and personal than your own custom instrument. It is a joy just to take it out of the case...though I have to be careful that I do not spend too much time with it otherwise my fiancée might change her mind.

On a side note, if you are suffering from UAS, I find a custom uke to be the perfect inoculation. Worked for me! :)

0.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Very nice. We've got cousins. PS. Consider spending some money on a set of Martin ebony+abalone bridge pins (available on Amazon). IMO, they make a huge difference in aesthetics...and some say it helps tone too.

It's back home? Is all well?

Sorry for going off topic, but those are old pics of my ukes...I haven't even taken pics of my K4 custom otherwise I'd show those too. I haven't heard from Joe since uke fest; he's been traveling, and I've been busy, so I haven't checked in on him either...I'm sure he'll call me when it's done and I'll post an update when that happens.

Edit: Here's a pic to keep it on track...none are custom per-se, but the Sceptre has been "custom engraved" by KoAloha! If you order direct from them and want an engraving, ask about that service. I'm pretty sure they can engrave any text easily, and images as well if they are vectorized.

Last edited:
They are all beautiful, and you have an amazing collection! I am excited to see your K4 when it is ready, as you know, Joe and Kristen are awesome so I am sure it will be a fantastic Uke. Quick question, have you ever though about going all out and getting a super high end like a Divine or something? Also, I will certainly look for those bridge pins when I am State side, thanks :)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

My custom KoAloha
attachment.php

Last edited:
Here are a couple of customs my friend crist pung from kula custom ukes is working on now...

004.jpg

001.jpg

0252.jpg

I love the detail of all the inlay. At first when I saw your vertical KoAloah pic, I thought the mountain range was a huge wingspan of some mythic creature and the reflection of the lotus was the head :p

I love the detail of all the inlay. At first when I saw your vertical KoAloah pic, I thought the mountain range was a huge wingspan of some mythic creature and the reflection of the lotus was the head :p

When I first read this, I thought "What in world is he talking about??"

Then I looked at it and immediately saw it! Heh!

When I first read this, I thought "What in world is he talking about??"

Then I looked at it and immediately saw it! Heh!

Hah hah! I'm with DavidB - I think on some level I always "knew" what it was, but I thought exactly the same thing! It's nice to see it "up close and personal". Thanks for the great pix.

Give me and my builder about 10-12 weeks and I will have a pic to blow all these out of the water. :rolleyes:

WAW_1.jpgWAW_3.jpgWAW_4.jpgWAW_6.jpg

I posted some of these on another page, but I really like my Willie Wixom Koa wood pineapple concert size with tenor size neck. WAW # 152

2013 Custom Mako Tenor

My custom Mako Tenor was built on the island of Maui by luthier Dennis Kato (Mako Ukes). Dennis is one of Hawaii’s many ukulele builders and is making ~8-10 ukuleles per year. Hey with a name like Dennis, he's gotta be good right?

From the UF website:
This gorgeous Custom Mako ‘Shark’ Tenor Ukulele is handcrafted of quarter-sawn curly Hawaiian Koa wood top, back and sides. The instrument boasts a Macassar Ebony fretboard, bridge, and headstock veneer with Brazilian Ebony fingerboard binding. Solid Maui-grown mahogany wood neck and graphite rod insert for added stability and sustain. The top and back binding is crafted with Maui-grown Robusta Eucalyptus wood. The fretboard is radiused at 20" for smooth play up and down the neck and a better wrist angle for playing. Paua shell fretboard position markers with a ‘shark eye’ marker at fret 17, soundboard Paua Abalone shell purfling, and a special shark headstock inlay. Paua Abalone shell inlay on fretboard and headstock. Paua Abalone shell and mother-of-pearl in the triple-bound rosette. Unique Mako shark ‘tail’ slotted-headstock with professional Gotoh slotted-headstock machine tuners for precise tuning. Maui deer antler nut and saddle and a high-gloss finish. The lower bout has also been domed to a radius of approximately 25'. Spanish heel construction at the base of the neck.

DSCN2867.jpg

DSCN2871.JPG
DSCN2886.JPG

DSCN2880.JPG

Top Bottom