Your favorite instrument?

I have this love/hate thing with the fiddle. That's been going on for 30+ years. It has a mind of its own; can't make a fiddle do anything it doesn't want to.

To play: I like my alto flute and my other flutes best, but I also enjoy playing my tuba and baritone (horn). I like to play Irish Music on my Irish flutes and whistles and old folk and military tunes on my fifes. I started playing the ukuleles because I wanted to sing with accompaniment. If I was young I'd like to play the banjo and/or the oboe.
To listen: I like classical music including opera, and lots of folk music and old standards (Jazz). It fact, I like almost all kinds except rap (like the beat-hate the words) and loud, wild rock (don't forget, I'm old).

I have this love/hate thing with the fiddle. That's been going on for 30+ years. It has a mind of its own; can't make a fiddle do anything it doesn't want to.

Damn right! I've only had a 5 year love hate relationship with the damn thing, but I truly sympathise, brother! Now I know why they call it the Devil's Instrument :)

I love playing electric bass and ukulele, but classical guitar is my favorite.

Sitar. The sound simply reaches into me and moves me in inexplicable ways.

Which is one reason I bought this pedal:

My favorite instrument to play is my voice, whether spoken or sung. It is always available, ultimately portable and just takes a drop of whiskey to tune. For slightly less portable instruments the banjo and the uke are my favorites to play. These three are the happiest instruments in the universe.

I enjoy all manner of music and consequently instruments.
I have particular fondness for Cajun Accordian, Northumbrian Small-Pipes, Raga, Gamelan and English Music Hall.

I just love the guitar. I've been playing it since I bought my first Goya M-26 in 1960. I enjoy playing the banjo, mandolin, dulcimer, Autoharp, button box, mouth harp and, my newest instrument, the ukulele, but the guitar is something I play every day, and I can't say that about my other instruments. The ukulele, being so small and portable, is getting a lot of play lately though.

It varies depending on my mood and what I've done recently, but if I had to pick one, it would be the piano. I've played piano longer than anything else and I can play the largest variety of music on it. I can sight read on the piano the easiest and put harmonies to single clef songs. I just wish it was more portable.
I call my accordion my portable piano, but I don't like the sound of reeds as much as strings.

My favorite instrument is the kalimba, though that is really a whole family of instruments. The one that I play the most is a chromatic Hugh Tracey model that covers three and a half octaves (it has tines on the back). I'm currently at nine different models, only two of them being chromatic. Some of them are electronic, but I'm not convinced of piezo pickups, and prefer recording with a ribbon microphone or a contact one.

I also have a mbira, but overall prefer the westernized kalimbas for their bell-like sound. Kalimba and ukulele clash a bit when it comes to nails of the fretting hand. I think I found a length that works for the kalimba and doesn't leave marks in the fretboard, though. :)

To Play (for sound quality and most R&R): Tenor Guitar
To Play (for casual time with most genres): Ukulele
To Play (for folk and some country): Tenor Banjo
To Play (when feeling really contrary): Mandolin
To Listen To: Anything played by someone who's really good on it.

It's got to be my reconditioned 1942 Slingerland Radio King drum kit. It's the pre-war Martin 5K of drum kits...if said Martin had a couple of expertly repaired cracks.

Listen to: Guitar

Play: Guitar

Look at: Guitar

To play uke, guitar. I like listen saxophone, violin or piano solo.

So many instruments, so many favorites! I'll listen to almost anything but I'm a sucker for classical guitar, far beyond my own meagre abilities. My fave axe for playing depends on time and place. I spend much of my life reclining with a ThinkPad in my lap and small lutes close at hand for quick access, so ukes or mandos get played most. Mouth organs also see much use. I mainly compose on acoustic guitar or with software. And when I'm walking around my remote mountain hamlet I always carry a sturdy tinwhistle both to annoy the squirrels and as a defensive weapon if/when I encounter any loose dogs or vicious owners.

I love the claves!

I love playing mountain dulcimer and tremolo harmonica.
Just started learning ukulele in May. It has quickly become my favorite.
Mess around with piano in spurts, as we have three in our home. But they are my wife's babies. She is quick to tell me "don't spook my pianos".

I stepped in as bass player for my band a couple of years ago when our bass player quit (I had been playing rhythm guitar), despite having virtually no experience playing bass. It was supposed to be temporary, but I'm still the bass player today, and playing bass has become one of my favorite things in the world.

Top Bottom