New Uke Day: Rob Collins (Tin Guitar) 8-string tenor, cherry

wadleysf

Reaction score
Here it is!
DSC_9821.jpg
More pictures here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amwadley/sets/72157635266870921/

It's a lovely ukulele, and I'm getting to know it well. I'm very grateful to Rob for putting in the extra hours to get this done in time while I was over in the UK. I know it was a push, and thanks to his other customers who took a delay so he could get this out to me before I flew home.

The specs are listed on the Flickr pics (link above) and are, briefly:

Cherry soundboard and sides
Grafted cherry back (like Ben's baritone, from where I got the idea - thanks Ben!)
Laburnum fretboard and bridge
London plane rosette
Yew headstock faceplate
Yellow poplar (tulip wood) neck

Of particular interest to me was that all the woods were UK grown. In fact there's even a report on the sourcing of the tulip wood tree here.

I'm really enjoying playing this new instrument - it's lovely and bright with a lot of sustain and has, at least to me, a unique sound. There may be a sound sample forthcoming if I can get myself happy with a recording!

I own a Rob Collins Meranti Soprano,and the general feeling among 'Tinguitar' customers that I have
met and exchanged views with on forums,is that you can't beat a Rob Collins instrument for both the
care that goes into the build,and the individual,distinctive sound of each and every one.Well done on
your eight string and if you get as much pleasure from it as I have from my Soprano,you have there
an instrument for life!

I own a Rob Collins Meranti Soprano,and the general feeling among 'Tinguitar' customers that I have
met and exchanged views with on forums,is that you can't beat a Rob Collins instrument for both the
care that goes into the build,and the individual,distinctive sound of each and every one.Well done on
your eight string and if you get as much pleasure from it as I have from my Soprano,you have there
an instrument for life!

Thanks timebug! I agree. It's an immaculately built instrument and I am really delighted with it. More than a "keeper" I'd say - one to pass on to future generations (assuming I haven't worn it out!!).

I've got Living Waters on it at the moment. From your chats with other Tinguitar uke owners does any preference emerge for particular strings?

Last edited:
It is beautiful! Congratulations, and here's to many blissful years of strumming!

When I got my Soprano from Rob,we met up at the Snowdonia Ukulele gathering
in North Wales.It was strung,as are all of his,with fishing line at the time,and still
sounded great!
I firstly tried Aquilas on it which were fine,and I used them a lot at that time;but
for the next string change,I went with Worth Browns,and have stayed with them on
this particular instrument!
They sing on it,and have the necessary 'bark' if required,together with a mellowness
that can be obtained by gentle picking or strumming.
Most Rob C uke owners that I have spoken to go with either Aquila or Worth for choice
but I have known Living Water strings and others used,to suit the player's own preference!
It's all about getting the feel of the instrument,and what works well for one,may not work
for another;but ALL Tinguitar Ukes seem to have 'IT' whatever it may be!

That is one strikingly gorgeous ukulele! The grafted cherry back is very cool, and I like the simplicity of the other appointments, like the fretboard, the rosette and the headstock. I can't wait to see it in person and play it!

Top Bottom