Loopers for ukulele?

While in the local music shop last week I made a general inquiry about loopers. The salesman mentioned the Ditto, which I recalled as being favourably regarded on UU, but he was recommending the Boss RC-3 as having more features for the same money. There is time to consider this carefully, I was thinking that Father Christmas might bring me one.

Yeah, I know, I'm 70 and I still believe in Father Christmas. If it gets me a new toy, even if I have to pay for it myself, that works for me.:D

Yep, I learned recently (after battling with Cancer and watching my sister in law steadily loosing her own battle with it!) that it's never too early or late to treat yourself to the things we enjoy as long as we can afford them after our responsibilities are met.

In any case as I mentioned earlier, I would recommend getting loopyhd or a similar app for your phone or tablet it's great to have it handy and costs around $10 if remember.

But for every day use I like the hardware loopers, they are just simpler to use while you play... I like fhe Boss loopers the best they have more features, recording time and are simple enough to setup and use once you read the manual. I find the best is to use features as you need them. The Boomerang III is also quite popular but a bit to "weird" for my taste...

Since I don't have anyone to jam and record with, I'm in the process of setting up a pedal board with the boss rc-300 (see my note above about spending on yourself...), a Helicon harmonizer and a new kick ass product called Beat Buddy which provides an excellent simulation of a live drummer with transitions fills etc.

I splurged a bit, but will have a kick ass setup where I can record, and or,loop drum, rhythm, and even vocal harmony tracks then video the lead and singing parts along. So far I'm just playing with the setup and figuring out how to use it the way I like but I'm excited about the possibilities. We shall see the initial results in a few weeks.

While in the local music shop last week I made a general inquiry about loopers. The salesman mentioned the Ditto, which I recalled as being favourably regarded on UU, but he was recommending the Boss RC-3 as having more features for the same money. There is time to consider this carefully, I was thinking that Father Christmas might bring me one.

Yeah, I know, I'm 70 and I still believe in Father Christmas. If it gets me a new toy, even if I have to pay for it myself, that works for me.:D

Last edited:
. . . but he was recommending the Boss RC-3 as having more features for the same money.

I don't know what the NZ prices are, but here in the US the Ditto is now half the price of the RC-3 ($100 vs. $200) on Sweetwater.com, Musicians Friend, and probably others.

I don't know what the NZ prices are, but here in the US the Ditto is now half the price of the RC-3 ($100 vs. $200) on Sweetwater.com, Musicians Friend, and probably others.

Interesting, whether I misheard the saleman or whatever I can't say. I visited the shop's web site just now and both are now shown as "reduced". At todays exchange rate the equivalent of US$157 and $236.

Maybe you can get a NUX Loop Core in the US or NZ? That's a Boss RC-3 clone for a little less than 2/3 of the price. I actually prefer it to the original because of the better foot switch. Everything else is pretty much the same for both models, apart from the NUX having more rhythms (that I don't really need) and a little bit too much space in the battery compartment (can be fixed very easily).

A friend and I made a side to side comparison between his Boss and my NUX. We were not able to hear a difference in sound.

By the way: I'm using the looper with a Risa Soprano Stick that's equipped with a passive Shadow piezo pickup.

Top Bottom