The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This isn't a song from the 30's or 40's, I heard Asleep at the wheel do this years ago, and thought it was a really cool western swing tune. Just found out it was written by Guy Clark, who also did it western swing style I found out after giving it a listen. Never thought I'd be doing this song, which is the fun of Seasons. Put this one together pretty quick.

Giorgia on my Mind based on an arrangement by James Hill from his book 'Duets for One"

Norma Jean is a country singer who has been around for a long time. I think she was born right around the time that Bob Wills was really hitting his stride. This song is from a quite recent album of hers, which if I recall correctly was released in 2012. Way too new to be part of last week's theme.

My guitar-slinging friend Carrol Sammons plays an instrumental version of this which is brilliant. I looked up some vocal versions and they all sound like colossal d-bags. So I thought I'd sing it straight, more like the way Carrol plays it, and vastly improve upon all other vocal versions. LOL

Go ahead an look up for example Pat Boone's version if you really feel the need for some cringe-inducing vocals.

All the willie talk on the thread for this Season reminded me of this Boxcar Willie song I've been wanting to work up for awhile, sort of an extra for this week from me. This song has a lot of fills in it, and me trying some of them here proves I really need to practice a lot more.....

Prime of Life - Neil Young

Decided I had better crack GargageBand open again before I get rusty. I'd been meaning to work in an Irish tin whistle/penny whistle into something for awhile, and this song was perfect for it. I play uke, the whistle and bongos on this one. I also added some bass in by using a midi keyboard. First time I ever tried that.

I also wanted to get some more Neil out there because Friday marked a big day for him. Not only did he come out with a new album, The Visitor, but he also unveiled the Neil Young Archives. All of his music is available online at his site for free through June 30, 2018, and it's a pretty slick setup they have once you've played around with it awhile.

I'll be right upfront: I hate Christmas. I hate having it shoved down my throat everywhere I turn at this time of year, I hate having someone wish me a Merry Christmas while he/she is trying to screw me over six ways from Sunday, I hate the sanctimonious SOBs who complain when I say "Happy Holidays", rather than "Merry Christmas" (" No, I didn't say 'Merry Christmas' because I don't know which holidays you want me to exclude.").

However, there has been some nice music associated with the holiday. Here's one that I did this past Sunday, with my friends Stephanie and Adam:

Last edited:
Andy (Desert Pavement) requested I maybe try this one out, so I did. This was my 2nd take. Super fun song, but this took a lot of wind!

Top Bottom