The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In between doing seasons videos, I also take part in Concertina.net's tune of the month.

Each month there is a tune to record and post and a theme. January's theme was hornpipes. I chose to record two Northumbrian tunes: Till The Tide Comes In and Steamboat Hornpipe.

Till The Tide Comes In is a traditional Northumbrian pipe tune and Steamboat was written by a 19th Century Fiddler from Gateshead called James Hill (No, not a certain ukulele player).

And the tune of the month itself was called Halsway Carol Schottische. It was written by a Hurdy Gurdy player called Nigel Eaton and someone has put some words to it to create a New Year Carol.

The timing on my version is a bit off in a couple of places but it still got some positive feedback including from the composer himself.

Hi Pabrizzer,

I love Dave Dobbyn's music. I used to go and watch him play in Th' Dudes band at the Isle of Real Cafe in Auckland NZ many many moons ago when I was a uni student. He was just out of school then and already an obvious talent. His early songs 'Bliss' and 'Be Mine Tonight' are worth googling. I also was there when he was arrested for supposedly causing a riot whilst performing at the Aotea Centre in Auckland. I'm pretty sure he was cleared of that charge.

Hi Pabrizzer,

I love Dave Dobbyn's music. I used to go and watch him play in Th' Dudes band at the Isle of Real Cafe in Auckland NZ many many moons ago when I was a uni student. He was just out of school then and already an obvious talent. His early songs 'Bliss' and 'Be Mine Tonight' are worth googling. I also was there when he was arrested for supposedly causing a riot whilst performing at the Aotea Centre in Auckland. I'm pretty sure he was cleared of that charge.

I remember hearing this song for the first time and being blown away by it.
It reached No 1 in Australia - no real recommendation I know but it is a great song IMHO.
I am not sure I have heard any other of Dave's songs to match it though.

I remember hearing this song for the first time and being blown away by it.
It reached No 1 in Australia - no real recommendation I know but it is a great song IMHO.
I am not sure I have heard any other of Dave's songs to match it though.

Hi Pa,

Here is one of Dave Dobbyn's many great songs. It is from an excellent album he did called "Twist" which was produced and played on by Neil Finn(Crowded House, Split Enz).
Unfortunately the video for the song is absolutely awful. Dave adopting rock poses in a black leather trenchcoat is embarrassing and very bad for his brand. It doesn't suit the gentleness of the song either. Hopefully the video director has moved on to doing thrash metal clips or chest expander advertorials.

Hi Pa,

Here is one of Dave Dobbyn's many great songs. It is from an excellent album he did called "Twist" which was produced and played on by Neil Finn(Crowded House, Split Enz).
Unfortunately the video for the song is absolutely awful. Dave adopting rock poses in a black leather trenchcoat is embarrassing and very bad for his brand. It doesn't suit the gentleness of the song either. Hopefully the video director has moved on to doing thrash metal clips or chest expander advertorials.

Liked the song and can hear the Finn influence. Some parts of the vid were just fine.

Top Bottom