The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tutto Nero (Paint It Black)

Well, I haven't been on these shores for quite a while. I'd researched all these Italian songs for Srax's season, only to realise when checking the rubric, that there was a 3-song limit - and of course, this is what this Island's all about. So without further ado, I present to you the first of 4 songs I knocked off tonight. There's some flubs here and there, but as they're hors concours, I let them go.

A big (Italian) hit for Caterina Caselli back in 1966 - her "golden year" according to Italian Wikipedia! Italian lyrics by Luciano Beretta. Great fun, but a real tongue-twister (check out her version to see how it should be done):

Last edited:
Il Paradiso Della Vita (If Paradise Is Half As Nice)

A 1968 Italian hit for Ragazza 77 (Ambra Borelli) and one year later Patty Pravo (recommended); a tune that, once fitted with English lyrics, gave Amen Corner and Andy Fairweather-Low his big break in 1969. If the 14 year-old me could see me now, he'd have me taken out and shot, Amen Corner were such a teenybopper band back in the day :)
Music by Lucio Battisti, lyrics by Mogol (Giulio Rapetti).

Last edited:
Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola (Space Oddity)

Released in 1970, some months after Space Oddity itself. Italian lyrics by our man Mogol (Giulio Rapetti) once more.
The reason DB released this Italian-language version was that two Italian bands (Computers and Equipe 84) had already had minor hits with Mogol's lyrics; and so, to protect their investment in the Italian market, his record company got DB to do his own cover - a cover, i.e., of Mogol's Italian-language version!

The story goes that DB only learnt the lyrics phonetically and never checked what he was actually singing about until after 'Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola' was released. When he discovered that instead of telling the tale of Major Tom, he'd actually been singing about a lonely boy and a lonely girl alone in the big city, he went mad - well you would wouldn't you?

Still a great fave in Italy. Three great versions, all very different here, here and here

Last edited:
Con Le Mie Lacrime Così (As Tears Go By)

"As Tears Go By" was one of the first ever Jagger/Richard compositions, they were too embarrassed to put it out themselves, as it didn't really fit their 'bad boy' image, giving instead it to Mick's then-girlfriend, Marianne Faithful - but this Italian-language version was released as a single in Italy in 1965 backed by 'Heart of Stone'. The Stones do include "As Tears Go By" in their setlists today, but when they're touring Italy, they do this version. Italian lyrics by Danpa (Dante Panzuti).

I don't know what happened with this one, but right toward the end, the volume on my uke went up to 11. I thought at the time it was the battery in the active pickup, but now I'm more inclined to think I had a loose lead that suddenly connected.

Last edited:
that was ****ing awesome lefty.
here's one on the git fiddle that was written by probably my all time favourite songwriter.
his name is Richard buckner.
and yes lefty, I have heard of that jerry douglas fella.
pancho

what the hey.
here's a Felice Brothers song.
my all time favourite band (for today anyway)
It's about baseball, right.
(actually it's about Bumgarner but that's between the bases)

Still behaving poorly because I CANNOT sing in a foreign language...

Do not worry me neither! ;) But what matters is the intention, and that music is much more than words, it is emotion: and emotion is universal.

Hugs!

Sara

If I had to pick a favorite performer from the 1920's it would be Charlie Poole. Poole had a unique style of playing the banjo due to a crushed right hand, playing baseball in his early days. Charlie Poole was a superstar before music was popularized on the Radio. He and his band the North Carolina Ramblers recorded over 67 songs in the 20's and 30's.

I like Neil Young and this is a particular favourite of mine, gave me a chance to try out my new baritone banjo ukulele quietly in the background. Apologies to any banjo players who might listen, I obviously haven't a clue how to play it properly yet.

I left my heart in sanfrancisco alternative lyric

Lyric by the late Mr Spike Milligan famous british humorist and author

I found this song the other day (never heard it before) and thought it was really pretty. For no particular reason, I have accompanied it with photos from our garden. They were taken last year ... Spring may have sprung, but it hasn't got that far yet!

Thought I might follow up I Will with the song that follows it on The Beatles, or The White Album or whatever you want to call it. Always feel deeply moved listening to Lennon sing this.

Iam having a very tough week. One of my best friends for 25 years is being subjected to Elder abuse by Her Daughter. Everyone who visits her from outside the family is removed by the State Police and receives a letter from the daughter's attorney to refrain from all contact. Makes me think about leaving for the Coast.

What should you do when you suspect elder abuse?

Lullaby of Broadway

I don't know how you communicate with your baby but this is how I do it. Don't expect a Busby Berkeley production here but I did consider it. I know enough Choreographers and dancers to do it; but the problem is my chorus line of Drag Queens are scattered all around the world and we had scheduling conflicts!

Randy doesn't want us to post old videos on his new season - but I'd like to remind people of the song I wrote for the last Cowboy theme we had back in Season 223.

I was particularly proud of this one and hope it can get a few more plays:

Top Bottom