The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I will put this one on here because it doesn't fit into Season 314, due to a thing called Rules.
In the Oscars for 1968, "Oliver" got a dozen nominations, and won six, including Best Picture (the last musical to win until Chicago in 2002) and Best Musical Score. But the songs weren't eligible for the Best Original Song award, as they were not new for the film - they had been used in the stage version. If I could do a decent Nancy voice, I would have a go at "As Long As He Needs Me", but you'll have to make do with this instead.

I'm using my other You Tube Channel to put up recordings of songs based on broadsides and traditional ballads.

I was recently looking into the origins of Scarborough Fair. It is a version of the second of the Child Ballad collection which he called "The Elfin Knight". In the earliest versions there actually is an Elfin Knight in the story but he gets dropped along the way and the song becomes about setting two people a series of impossible tasks. The earliest known version comes from a broadside from about 1670 and concerns seduction (or not as the case may be) and the impossible tasks determines whether or not the Elfin Knight has his wicked way with the woman. (He doesn't) There are a number of traditional songs with variations on this theme. It is thought that the story is older than the 17th century and is possibly based in European folklore.

Here's an extra non-entry bonus for Ylle's "The Sea, The Sea" Season. I worked on this one a bit many months ago, cause I love this song, but worked up it again now, in a higher key to fit my voice better. This was a fun challenge to try to pick and sing on.

Call Me the Breeze - J.J. Cale

I got a new toy to play with and figured this was the perfect song to break it in.

i really like this song.and thanks to DR uke for some very nice chords

I don't recall this ever happening before. The first two songs posted on this new week 320 of the Seasons were the same song! Wee Ginga Ya and I both performed "It Ain't Me, Babe" by Bob Dylan. Very different versions, and I thought it would be a challenge to mash them up. Given our very different tempos, at times it's more of a "round" than a colaboration, but we eventually get back together.

Top Bottom