The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm Walkin"

Well guys I got a new brace that mostly fits. Iam staggering around like an infant or a Drunken Sailor. To commemorate thev occasion I learned a song!

BEVOMU: Here is another dance in D, played on my Rubin RP-102 tenor. Sweet isn't it?

I've about worked out the "Amazon's Lament" but I'm still finding chords to expand it in E.

Amazonian Suite #3 in D. "The dance of the short spear!"

i love that! and yes i love that uke too! i look forward to the lament, and indeed any long spear or other weapon versions of the dance! xena warrior princess - the show may have ended, but the music lives on!

Just a bit of primal therapy... beating up a defenceless plastic ukulele that can't defend itself
and shouting very loud with exaggerated arm movements, then when the system is vented
tossing the instrument aside like some dirty trash, since it has done its job.
It is one way to make music. Look in the YT description for a short history of the song.

Sorry to keep you waiting Linda (Turtledrum). A song from the 60s.

For BEVMU, "Lament of the Amazon" On my re-entrant Tenor, in Em and slow paced.

I want to thank BEVMU for the ideas in this Amazonian series. Free styling the key variations has yielded me many hours of play in several keys. I even moved this free styling to my C6 concerts and found my Ohana's niche, in A, Am, and G.

This doesn't quite fit with Season 234 but it is an expansion of an existing song - it adds an additional 30 seconds to the original (about a minute and a half).

Devil Went Down To Georgia (Uke version) :)

The devil went down to Georgia he was looking for a soul to steal
He was in a bind cuz he was way behind he was willin' to make a deal
When he came across this young man strumin' on a uke and playin' it hot
And the devil jumped 'pon a hickory stump and said boy let me tell you what

I bet you didn't know it but I'm a uke player too
And if you'd care to make a dare I'll make a bet with you
Now you play a pretty good uke boy but give the devil his due
I bet a uke of koa against your soul cuz I think I'm better than you
The boy said my name's Johnny and it might be a sin
But I'll take your bet your gonna regret cuz I'm the best that's ever been

Johnny loosen up your wrist and play your uke hard
Cuz hells broke loose in Georgia and the devil deals it hard
And if you win you get this shiny uke made of koa
But if you lose the devil gets your soul

The devil opened up his case and said I'll start this show
And fire flew from his fingertips as he tuned up his uke
And he strummed across his strings and it made an evil hiss
Then a band of demons joined in and it sounded something like this

When the devil finished Johnny said well you're pretty good ol' sun
But sit down in that chair right there and let me show you how its done

Fire on the mount run boys run
The devil's in the house of the risin' sun
Chicken in the bread pin pickin' out dough
Granny does your dog bite no, child, no

The devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat
He laid that koa uke on the ground at Johnny's feet
Johnny said devil just come on back if you ever want to try again
I told you once you son of a bitch I'm the best that's ever been

He played fire on the mount run boys run the
Devils in the house of the risin' sun
Chicken in the bread pin pickin' out dough
Granny does your dog bite no child no

I did this for Theme Music. After being lukewarm on it, I had some big experiences (like being able to buy an amp, a mic, and a mic stand from my earnings as a busker) and it hit home in a big way.

Lately I have been doing some research on "historical" bands and musicians from south Texas--that is--bands and musicians who are no longer active and many of which have passed away. Back in the 50s and 60s there was actually quite an active music scene coming out of the west side of San Antonio. Some would say there still is, but now it's kind of localized. Sunny and the Sunliners were one of those bands, popular in the 60s, originally called Sunny and the Sunglows. I'm not sure why they changed their name, but at the time they released this song, they were the Sunliners. They have a star on the South Texas Music Walk of Fame in Corpus Christi. Sunny Ozuna, the lead singer, is still making music. http://www.sunnyozuna.com/

Coincidentally, I just heard this song on the Songs Stuck In My Head podcast.

Last edited:

I finally took my Outdoor Ukulele outdoors ... well as far as the front porch. This song comes from the British animated film "Watership Down" and has a special significance for me because the lovely lady who ran my sons' nursery group was always playing the record for the children to dance to ... or whatever it is that 3-year-olds do. So, if you're about Josie, this is for you!

My YouTube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZKxzOmx62wsxmdC47Ng-Q

And another from the same open mic. I fluffed the words in a few places, but got there in the end. I got a "well done" from someone afterwards :music:

Another Harmonica instrumental. I've just got a new harp mic. It does change the sound somewhat; gives it more of a blues tone which I'm not sure is quite appropriate for English trad tunes but it's very comfortable to hold in the hand. Still I think it came out OK in the end. Bruko tenor uke accompanying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom