The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While I was hunting RnR songs for season 89, I was reminded of this. It's as cheesy as hell and only one reference to hair so doesn't really fit season 89, so I have come here with it.

Still it'll be a bit of a change from all that heavy Lou Reed stuff. I was never really into Velvet Underground, but his death means yet another of my generation who has just F-f-f-f-faded away.

I remember the show Juke Box Jury when they played "My generation" by THE WHO.
David Jacobs was the presenter and on the jury was an old guy with a stutter (forget his name)
who went goggle eyed during the song, since he thought they were taking the piss.
Jacobs could hardly contain his glee, as he waited in anticipation for the unfortunate
panelist to give his verdict… only to be slightly disappointed when he made a faultless response.

I hate one song seasons. I am not afraid to say it, and I figure I have been around here long enough to do so. SO, of the 15 songs I have down for season 90, this is the one I was playing tonight.
It is a punk rock song.
I was shocked to learn that my wife knows all the words.
Of course, it is the cocktail hour here, so she knows the words way better than I do.
In fact, I am half in the bag-but, I can say in all honestly, me and Mel have never had more fun making a video.
I totally screwed it up, several times...but this is the island. Here enthusiasm is king.
Here is enthusiasm...coupled with suck. And a guest appearance from a bad dog.

Y'all are some old people...

Last edited:
Sweet. A little SD to lift the happy hour vibe to a peak. How about some Angry Samoans, next, Steak Knife maybe?
Older may mean we're dyin' sooner but it also means we've seen a buttload of weird s**, sonny. We drink napalm and piss enthusiasm.

I loved this man.

I hate one song seasons. I am not afraid to say it, and I figure I have been around here long enough to do so. SO, of the 15 songs I have down for season 90, this is the one I was playing tonight.
It is a punk rock song.
Of course, it is the cocktail hour here, so she knows the words way better than I do.
In fact, I am half in the bag-but, I can say in all honestly, me and Mel have never had more fun making a video.
I totally screwed it up, several times...but this is the island. Here enthusiasm is king.

Somehow I knew when I was saying that, I would get catch somethin'...Angry Samoans huh? I figure I can do that. Mel, not so much ;)
Sweet. A little SD to lift the happy hour vibe to a peak. How about some Angry Samoans, next, Steak Knife maybe?
Older may mean we're dyin' sooner but it also means we've seen a buttload of weird s**, sonny. We drink napalm and piss enthusiasm.

I loved this man.

It is a punk rock song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGm0VfN4brM&feature=youtu.be
This was great fun, Dave. Fantasies about transatlantic uke jams go through my mind, when I watch your videos.
Same with Alan's by the way.

It is a punk rock song.

I just want to throw one back with you and give you both a great big hug.

Here is my misfit! I was late on the 88 season because it took me longer to get a song I did not know down. Don't mind the computer, I forgot to close it. I had always wanted to learn this one and it was harder than I thought. Dean

If you ever find yourself in London, you must come on my famous rock & roll walking tour.

Hey Paul -

I am going to be in London in early December. Let me know if tours are available Thursday or Friday, December 5 or 6, through a PM. Thanks in advance!

- greenie44

Nice job. I just never get around to listening to commercial country and I guess that means I miss a nice one like this once in a while. Thanks Dean!

Here is my misfit! I was late on the 88 season because it took me longer to get a song I did not know down. Don't mind the computer, I forgot to close it. I had always wanted to learn this one and it was harder than I thought. Dean

"House Meeting! House Meeting!!"

Lots of us statesiders went out of our way to hear Cliff and the Shadows and to see "Young Ones" but I do recognize that we're in the minority.
This is a terrific one, Geoff!

I'm glad to see he did have some fans over the pond. Though he never broke through big time, I think he did have some minor hits.

I was a big fan back in the day. After the Beatles, he became uncool but he's still performing successfully and producing records and his fan base crosses the generations. The media here call him the Peter Pan of pop.

I've come across US Folkies who say that it was Lonnie Donegan who got them into Folk Music. Interesting.

thanks D. It is a fun song and was challenging for me at least.
Nice job. I just never get around to listening to commercial country and I guess that means I miss a nice one like this once in a while. Thanks Dean!

Lou Reed tribute

Proud to be a misfit.

Lou Reed was a pretty key part of my life when I lived in NYC in the late 70s. He played the Bottom Line every couple of months for a few nights, and I usually caught at least one show. I had a pal from the UK in one Xmas season and we went to see Lou on Christmas night, where he played the entire Berlin album - one of my all time favorites, but depressing as hell. Oh, and he threw in Jingle Bells in the middle and then said "Now back to the topic of the evening, here's a song about suicide".

I went back to this song when thinking about him last week, and it really blew me away what a great tune it is - Lou's admiration for people like Doc Pomus, mixed with his own artistic temperament, shines through big time here. It encompasses so much scope in a couple of verses of plain spoken lyrics. And hearing Lou tell New York City lovers to not be afraid hit me particularly hard after his passing.

So, from what I feel like is a pretty forgettable album, here is Tell It To Your Heart.

Hey Paul -

I am going to be in London in early December. Let me know if tours are available Thursday or Friday, December 5 or 6, through a PM. Thanks in advance!

- greenie44

PM sent. Look forward to catching up!

Me too! Especially for a theme like this where everyone must have loads of favorite songs from their 18th year.
Here's another John Prine song:

I wore out my copy of Bonnie Raitt's Streetlights album - this song is on it.

Last edited:
So, I kind of had this idea that Ukuleledaddy would show up first, and we would light the fire. Standing around it we would start playing as our friends came along and helped us out.
Alan, Kurt and Micheal could take turns filling in the leads.
Saskia could do the bass line on the Glock...
Paul would jump off the roof and give us the tempo.
Ralph harmonizing the highs and librarian hitting the lows...
Myrna filling in the background vocals with Lily,
Jon and John on mouth trumpet and megaphone...
all the rest in rank and file taking things up where they were needed...
and Melissa just laughing.
That is how things were playing out in my head, and of course, none of it happened.
So I was forced to record this alone.
I love the island.

So, I kind of had this idea that Ukuleledaddy would show up first, and we would light the fire. Standing around it we would start playing as our friends came along and helped us out.
That is how things were playing out in my head, and of course, none of it happened.
I love the island.
Oh man, now I want to do No Parking on the Dance Floor. You all had better hope my brutal work week continues..

I love the island.
First of all, Dave get out of my head. I have constant fantasies of such a gathering.
Secondly, I wish I had this version to spin back in my wedding/ice rink DJ days. I had once thought that you'd have to put a gun to my head to listen to this song again, now I can't stop listening. Look what you've done.

Very nice. Got the soul of this one, didn't you? But then you normally do.

Me too! Especially for a theme like this where everyone must have loads of favorite songs from their 18th year.
Here's another John Prine song:
I wore out my copy of Bonnie Raitt's Streetlights album - this song is on it.

Like TCK & Myrna said, pity this is a one entry season. Maybe I don't have 15 potential entries and, anyway I won't have time to record them. Here is a new recording of Blowin' in the Wind, though - with harmonica this time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom