View Poll Results: Have you ever posted to the Island?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

21 87.50%
  • No, but I will do so today!!!

3 12.50%
Page 2 of 187 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMoon View Post
    I suggest one for each season so the theme doesn't get lost. Call it The Other Season 80 (or whatever number).
    That makes most sense to me but we already have a "Don't
    It would rarely be needed as most times (or it used to be the way) you are able to post as many bonus vids as you are inspired to do.
    It is just my opinion but I don't like seeing videos from previous seasons reposted in a new season as a bonus but that is only because I have already seen them.
    Having this extra thread when needed could mean the host can concentrate on the official entries without a lot of the extra banter that sometimes goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by uke4ia View Post
    To me, this is an argument for having Bonus Track playlists. Weekly hosts may have to point out that they do not promise to make time to watch/comment on every Bonus Track. But it provides a good place to exhibit tracks from the "overzealous", and videos someone made previously that fit the current theme.
    Just pointing out that .......
    The host does have to create that playlist and watch at least part of the bonus video to place it in the playlist because it can only be done in YouTube. In a busy season keeping track of all the entries and bonus vids does take time.
    It is what hosting is about and I enjoyed doing it on the seasons I hosted so it is not a complaint from me just a clarification.

Thanks pals.

All good thoughts.

I tend to agree that an entire thread within this topic or elsewhere might be overkill. Maybe, when we read the rules and there is a rubric we want to respect but don't want to interrupt the flow of the host's season, we can start a new thread here. Season 100 Unbound or something. After all, it is sort of an homage to the host's brilliant theme but i don't want to make the job any harder than it has to be for anyone.

We haven't had seasons with the limitation on bonuses much until lately so this might not happen often. As I mentioned, though, it might be nice to have a place where multitrackers can let their creative impulses run wild. It seems to me that the initial thought on banning multitrack might have been that it's sort of a different playing field, not just music but also technology and mad skills that not everyone has. That makes sense, too. But when I think of the amazing multitrack stuff that comes out of the seasons where it's allowed, I wonder what the harm would be of having an additional venue for that creativity.

and (just because I'm a self-identifying jerk) when hosts say something like "The week is Car Songs but NO Beachboys!" Folks can come here and display their 'she's real fine, my 409' chops.
    It's the songs, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by GinnyT11 View Post
    It's a good idea, Alan, to have a place for general conversation that relates to the Seasons without being about a particular Season.

Most Seasons accept endless bonuses, but some hosts limit the number to make it easier to manage the week's comments. Seems like those Seasonistas who want to post more than the limit would be glad to find a place to do so. It could be a place to announce a separate thread for Sean's idea of highlighting a particular album (e.g., "Hey, Seasonistas, join me over at __ thread to make covers of every song on Dark Side of the Moon.")

Don't make a new thread each week: Let it be like the "seasonal anticipation" thread, where it's activated when someone has a thought.
    I think the thread should be very general and not be a "shadow season" that distracts from the active Season or takes away from that host's fun. Maybe let it be an appendix to a Season that follows it after it's closed.
    I like this idea. I think there's a place for a thread like this too.
    I read somewhere that 77% of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23% who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.

~Jerry Garcia

I think that whatever you have in mind should in no way be connected to the Seasons because it would only detract from the Seasons.
    Why not just start a thread called "Alan's Playhouse" or "Alan's Backyard" for the handful of you who need to post infinite numbers of songs on any topic?
    No offense intended amigo...just saying the Seasons are fine the way they are and the number of entries and rules should be set by the host each week and adhered to!

Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by lakesideglenn View Post
    I think that whatever you have in mind should in no way be connected to the Seasons because it would only detract from the Seasons.
    Why not just start a thread called "Alan's Playhouse" or "Alan's Backyard" for the handful of you who need to post infinite numbers of songs on any topic?
    No offense intended amigo...just saying the Seasons are fine the way they are and the number of entries and rules should be set by the host each week and adhered to!

A place for us to be excited to the point of obnoxious and not piss anyone off? This is the Big Rock Candy Mountain Alan- A great idea. Part of me had always hoped the train songs thread would serve this purpose... but yeah. This is solid gold brain work right here.

I agree with lakesideglenn that if you're going to do it, it's better to have a single thread like this one rather than making a new thread for each season. You don't want it to be a remora clinging to the underside of the Season. (Wild-ass visual metaphor completed) This thread can be a virtual front porch to sit back on and kick some songs around.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Default Post Your Videos on any Theme in any number

With or without multitracking but with love and respect for our hosts.
    Or, if you have a problem with this...don't.
    xoxox,
    alan

I started this out of a sense of guilt for overtopping the restrictions. I was self-deprecating and explained all that. I seem to have forgotten that most folks only skim the Cliff Notes at best.

Also, I suppose I took to heart the disengagement from the Seasons that made a couple of folks Calvinistically uncomfortable. So I just moved from under the Seasons umbrella and stayed under "Contests". That's probably wrong, too but I think it is certainly an extension of the Seasons and not any sort of red headed step child (although I'd take that description).

Anyway, it did lead me to a pastiche-ish mission statement yet:

Just Do it Your Own Way
    Based on "I Threw It All Away" By Bob Dylan

Once I had rulebooks
    commin' out of my ass
    thought i was happier that way

But now I'm certain
    It was me that I was hurtin'
    I couldn't live that way
    I couldn't live that way

Rules are important
    Well, at least as a rule