The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That Feel

We had LWIII but not a Tom Waits week, but I teleported into the future and this will be the song I sing when there is a TW week.

So no tigers entry this week, but I did manage to make a quick recording with my ipad during rehearsal with my ukulele band (BUG - Brabants Ukulele Genootschap) today.

UkeyDave, I see that you have your Louisiana hot sauce from Dave-Wave's week on view there. I keep mine in the frame when I record too.

So no tigers entry this week, but I did manage to make a quick recording with my ipad during rehearsal with my ukulele band (BUG - Brabants Ukulele Genootschap) today.

Here I am just sat here noodling Fly Me to the Moon on my Uke and this pops up on You Tube. How wierd. Great job. Loved this made even more special by the fact I was sat here playing it in the same key.

Hello Misfits. I had so much fun playing with Ralf yesterday. I can't believe we don't do that more often. We teamed up way back in Season 10. Thought I'd share it here in case anyone's interested.

Ralf and Sean, you absolute MUST record together again! I think it's great to See various Seasonistas playing together, like Berni with Alan and Bill, or with FFred.
I'm going to get to play with with a couple Seasonista buddies next summer.

Last edited:
Damn straight, Son. Flippin' eck wot a spliffing performance of a great tune from a world changing record.

Respek.

Alan- If I could include yours here I would...but the powers that run our forum will not let me.
If I have told this story before, try and stop me...
When I was a kid, I was kind of portly (crap- I still am, but I could care less now). I was the overweight GATE kid with "HUSKY" written across the rear end of his rockin' corduroy pants, and not exactly a hit with the ladies.
In 7th Grade, I fell for the cutest girl I had ever seen. She was abnormally tall (and I abnormally short), quiet, alarmingly skinny, gap in her front teeth you could floss with a beach towel, and to me, she was a goddess. She was also very strange...see, she had older siblings and they had turned her on to a band called the "Cure" that none of us had ever heard of, and they were pretty much all she ever talked about.
I decided that was my "in"- go seek out this "Cure"...might just be the cure for geek I was looking for, so I started listening to college radio (thank god). I saved every penny I could for what seemed like an eternity to go buy some vinyl, and it was hard earned. I got a penny for every two snails I eradicated in my dad's garden so I was the bringer of death for Helix aspera daily, for months, rain or shine, until I had the $9.99.
Off to Tower Records we went in August of 1985, and I picked up "Head On The Door". My little sister was in tow, telling me I could never listen to her records again (what, Debbie Gibson?) if I bought it, but I did not care. This purchase was for love dammit, and it was going to happen.
Being the first kid in 7th grade with the record made me no more cool (however, the Red Hot Chili Peppers record did increase my standing..and the Dead Kennedys, well...), but I found solace in it, as I played it over and over again lamenting the fact that I was not even going to get to dance with this girl at the dance (testosterone is a hell of a mind trip when it first kicks in). I wish I could report that the girl was instantly smitten, but no, she simply asked for a tape...though she did agree to be my friend and at least talk to me, a social sacrifice in itself.
By the end of the year, I was on to bigger and better things, like driving the adults in my life insane (thank you college radio-punk rock was my redeemer). I had a new found status among everyone at my school because not giving a toss about anything really seems to reel them in (like a car crash)... Somewhere out there there is an old tape of "Bay Area Backroads" where yours truly, complete with Robert Smith hair and make-up is talking about a Goya he painted on the wall of his school at the end of that 7th grade year.
Oh yes- and I love this record. I love it like I love breathing. thank you Alan for the trip down memory lane...and right back attcha.
TCK rule employed.

Most beautiful. I am in awe of your skill and tone and feeling here. Much respect.

I'm a bit disappointed that we're not able to get a song done this week. Too much work and other things...
I did however record a Motown song back in March. I just listened to it again and was still quite pleased with the recording. I don't want to pollute the Season85 thread with something old, but I reckon there's a little spot on this island for a tune like this.

Love the ending, Starring the shaker egg!!
Beautifully done and I sang along with gusto.

A story if you don't mind. Short one. Woven Pines was playing a show for a group of developmentally challenged adults last Thursday. They were a wonderful group. Sang, danced, smiled, applauded. One woman signed for her deaf friend who danced to his favorite song, "I'll Fly Away" I think it was.

When we finished, one of the group leaders said they wanted to sing "Amazing Grace" because that is the way they end each meeting. I hit an F and they sang along. The other guys played too and we all sang together. It was a great night.

Here's one that is definitely a seasons misfit. ;-)
Playalong.

Ralf and Sean, you absolute MUST record together again! I think it's great to See various Seasonistas playing together, like Berni with Alan and Bill, or with FFred.

It's SO MUCH FUN! I don't know if you saw a recent post I made in Season 85 Ginny, but I floated the idea of having a week called "Team Up" where seasonistas would get together with other seasonistas and post videos for the week. Seasonistas in England could gather, those here on the West Coast of the USA, those in Australia, etc. If any seasonistas couldn't get together they could via the internet and enter a collaborative effort. Would that not be fun? Of course it would! That week would have to be announced well in advance so people could make travel plans if they want. I think I'll sprinkle this idea around the seasons threads and see if people are game. I know there's a few seasonistas here on the west coast who would love to get together!

Well, I have not really been all to thrilled with anything I have done lately (except Bottom Dollar- that was OK) so I conjured up old William Elliot Whitmore and played a song tonight. Sometimes you gotta get away from the season and play what you need to get out. If I was to do it all over, I think I would post this on Season 84, as I figure it is what I do.
I dare say it turned out a lot better than the train wrecks I threw at season 85. Just had no Motown in me this week (it will likely return next week...sigh). Where was I? Oh yeah- this I am thrilled with.

TIME (Tom Waits Cover)

This is my second entry for the Tom Waits season of the future. I must say I was influence by the documentary on Tom Waits which explained how he went from lush and lyrical to junkyard minimalism.

This sounds great! I'll certainly look forward to their first US tour supporting We Tigers!

Speaking from experience, I'd like to say that I'd love playing with any Seasonista who approaches the ATL area. Steve Reed and Michael McDonald are my homies as well as Skidoo of course. Getting to this section of the globe could pretty much find one of us available for a jam, I'll bet.

Let me add that ATL is the largest airport in the US so you can pretty much get here almost by mistake if you're travelling on this continent. I'd be willing to meet someone with a layover here with a couple of ukes if they want to record in a noisy airport terminal.

Additionally, anyone with video editing skills who would like to ping me with a song title and key could have a base track video from me via internets to do with as they see fit.

How's that for a start?

It's SO MUCH FUN! I don't know if you saw a recent post I made in Season 85 Ginny, but I floated the idea of having a week called "Team Up" where seasonistas would get together with other seasonistas and post videos for the week. Seasonistas in England could gather, those here on the West Coast of the USA, those in Australia, etc. If any seasonistas couldn't get together they could via the internet and enter a collaborative effort. Would that not be fun? Of course it would! That week would have to be announced well in advance so people could make travel plans if they want. I think I'll sprinkle this idea around the seasons threads and see if people are game. I know there's a few seasonistas here on the west coast who would love to get together!

Well done, Son. I agree that there are times that songs want to cooperate and songs that they don't and times when they cry like a wounded catbird to be set free. I don't know this songwriter but will need to investigate.
You're tone here is really real and present. So, thanks.

...and, for what it's worth, I've been feeling what you've recorded lately.

Appropos of very little, I managed to record a Stax tune without even thinking about it after you'd said you had Stax o' plenty but little Motown to burn. Vulcan mind meld....or something closely akin, I s'pose.

Well, I have not really been all to thrilled with anything I have done lately (except Bottom Dollar- that was OK) so I conjured up old William Elliot Whitmore and played a song tonight. Sometimes you gotta get away from the season and play what you need to get out. If I was to do it all over, I think I would post this on Season 84, as I figure it is what I do.
I dare say it turned out a lot better than the train wrecks I threw at season 85. Just had no Motown in me this week (it will likely return next week...sigh). Where was I? Oh yeah- this I am thrilled with.

Hey, Ginny. I'd love to be one of those folks who records with you (two?) sometime. I'm sure it could happen although the meetup gods haven't been helping us to align so far.

Top Bottom