The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really looking forward to my first Season!

Anyone who read my new member intro earlier in the week will know I've already learned this one. I'm really looking forward to joining you all as a seasonista proper so I'll pick another song to learn from scratch this week. In the mean time here's my interpretation of this year's UK entry which I've really enjoyed playing. I'm hoping the song will remain popular long after the glittery bits of paper from this year's final have been vacuumed up so I can keep this in my repertoir without my audience thinking "What on Earth was that?"!

p.s. sorry but if some kind moderator could fix my broken video tag and educate me on what I did wrong, please... :)

Last edited:
Anyone who read my new member intro earlier in the week will know I've already learned this one. I'm really looking forward to joining you all as a seasonista proper so I'll pick another song to learn from scratch this week. In the mean time here's my interpretation of this year's UK entry which I've really enjoyed playing. I'm hoping the song will remain popular long after the glittery bits of paper from this year's final have been vacuumed up so I can keep this in my repertoir without my audience thinking "What on Earth was that?"!

p.s. sorry but if some kind moderator could fix my broken video tag and educate me on what I did wrong, please... :)

I reckon you can transfer this to season 170. Your date matches the start of the season so go for it!

Thanks Geoff, that's really kind of you to say so, but I recorded it before the start of the season, and I had been practising it for a few weeks already! I'm enjoying the challenge of doing something new this week. I've learned 'Waterloo' (after a fashion), but have something else I want to try after a bit more practice too.

This was gonna be my entry for Caseys Season but I had a severe case of losing my voice so didn't enter it but guilt wouldn't allow me not to post it here as it was Caseys birthday......Happy belated Casey !!

Last night at the Sam Ash open mic, after my "Eurovision debut", I asked if anyone had any requests. The fabulous Mayu, who so professionally wielded my iPhone camera, asked for Iz's "Over the Rainbow". I don't know it well enough, so I offered my own original rainbow song instead ... and since it's "just blues" I got to ask bassist Fred to join me. Alas the rest of our regular Sam Ash Makeshift Blues Orchestra (SAMBO, I named it last night) had already gone by this time, or they'd be there too.

If you have a Sam Ash store near you, I believe this is a "thing" - that they all do Wednesday night open mics. Some of them do other jams and things on other nights ... ours used to have five events a week, but now we all just come to the one. They are great fun - ours feels like family - and a great way to build skills, connections, confidence, and comfort performing. I did my own set and played on three other people's sets last night, met some great new folks - that happens every week - and heard lots of great music.

And they pay $10 every time you go! (Once a month they send you a $10-gift certificate in the mail for each night you participated. I "bought" my Epiphone with them, and am about to buy something else - maybe Pocket Uke or Travel Uke ... and the fabulous Makala baritone.)

Last night at the Sam Ash open mic, after my "Eurovision debut", I asked if anyone had any requests. The fabulous Mayu, who so professionally wielded my iPhone camera, asked for Iz's "Over the Rainbow". I don't know it well enough, so I offered my own original rainbow song instead ... and since it's "just blues" I got to ask bassist Fred to join me. Alas the rest of our regular Sam Ash Makeshift Blues Orchestra (SAMBO, I named it last night) had already gone by this time, or they'd be there too.

If you have a Sam Ash store near you, I believe this is a "thing" - that they all do Wednesday night open mics. Some of them do other jams and things on other nights ... ours used to have five events a week, but now we all just come to the one. They are great fun - ours feels like family - and a great way to build skills, connections, confidence, and comfort performing. I did my own set and played on three other people's sets last night, met some great new folks - that happens every week - and heard lots of great music.

And they pay $10 every time you go! (Once a month they send you a $10-gift certificate in the mail for each night you participated. I "bought" my Epiphone with them, and am about to buy something else - maybe Pocket Uke or Travel Uke ... and the fabulous Makala baritone.)

Huh. There's actually a Sam Ash near me. Well... near ish. My girlfriend kinda dragged me to the mall it's in, and myself and Mikey (a mutual friend) kinda fell in love. Might have to check out if it does something like this.

Also, rad performance. Love me some ukey blues.

I agree Geoff, I've put jim's vid on season 170 because it's fab, it's as near as dammit to season start time, and... I think I mentioned? it's fab! :bowdown:

Well done, Linda. It was well worth including. Newcomers to the seasons are often a bit hesitant but given we had two who "jumped the gun"...

Trying to beat Pabrizzer? :rulez:

Huh. There's actually a Sam Ash near me. Well... near ish. My girlfriend kinda dragged me to the mall it's in, and myself and Mikey (a mutual friend) kinda fell in love. Might have to check out if it does something like this.

Also, rad performance. Love me some ukey blues.

Thanks, Mike! Or come to Edison ... it's not so far from you. We have fun there every Wednesday, 7pm. It would be so cool to meet you! We gotta do a small NJ Seasonista gathering one of these days.

Well done, Linda. It was well worth including. Newcomers to the seasons are often a bit hesitant but given we had two who "jumped the gun"...

Trying to beat Pabrizzer? :rulez:
yes indeed, re. season newbies, bless 'em. and lol! you know the trouble is, the theme goes up, if you start work straight away you might have something ready to go pretty quickly, if it's a song you find relatively easy to get the hang of, and you can just be sitting there waiting waiting waiting to post it! I wonder what it would be like if you could post anytime? how soon after someone saying "this is my theme please bring me...............", the first vids would start to arrive?! with the musical geniuses among us I reckon an hour or two or even less!

Its raining and I'm stuck indoors this morning so I'm noodlin' and misbehavin' ...............

Top Bottom