The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yes indeed alan bless you for starting this thread... this one, and the anticipation thread, are such a part of seasons life that one wonders how on earth anyone managed before we had them!

Aww thanks, BEV. I think anticipation was someone else. It's really cool that there are nearly 2,000 posts here, though. I like fun because it is so...fun!

season 1 to 6 are on this thread

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ns-of-the-Ukulele-Contest-starting-Feb-5-2012

the first season starts on page 4

ceejay posted a fab cover of wagon wheel, played on banjo, over on seasonistas play other instruments thread, the vid is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNB8WuJxYC8

it made me wanna do a cover too, not such a good one, but a cover nonetheless!

i am thrilled to add my contribution to the ooh not many only about a trillion million gazillion uke covers of this song on the net!

I'm going down S2 T3

ceejay posted a fab cover of wagon wheel, played on banjo, over on seasonistas play other instruments thread, the vid is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNB8WuJxYC8

it made me wanna do a cover too, not such a good one, but a cover nonetheless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGcQBeCWVEg

i am thrilled to add my contribution to the ooh not many only about a trillion million gazillion uke covers of this song on the net!

I was going to introduce these next few immigrants to the island in order of track listing on the BITUSA album, but this one shares the same I-V-vi-IV progression as "Wagon Wheel" (and many, many more), so it's interesting to compare and contrast what can be done with this progression - it's not as hackneyed as some might claim :)

Last edited:
Darlington County S1 T3

Reverting to track order, here's my stab at "Darlington County"

I'm On Fire S1 T6

This is one of the songs off BITUSA I can do by heart (I've been playing it since 1984, so I should know it by now!), but I really need a metronome.

Surprised no-one entered this one for the Season (177).

Bobby Jean S2 T2

Another of those deceptively 'simple' songs backed up by a tricky rhythm pattern underneath. In the end, I think I was concentrating too hard on that, which is why this one ends up here and not in Season 177

<trivia>This one wasn't going to make the album. It was Miami Steve who convinced Springsteen that it needed to make the final cut.</trivia>

My Hometown S2 T6

The closing track to Side 2 of BITUSA.

Even more so than its companion closing track on Side 1 "I'm on Fire" (which provides a counterpoint to all the bravado of the opening tracks on S1), this number "bookends" the entire album, the coda to the opening track "Born In The USA"

Remember how running order on vinyl/cassette was of such crucial importance in the artistic statement a performer was trying to make? Now, with streaming and iPod shuffle, track order is almost redundant.

Another of these songs I can play off by heart, which is probably why I rattled it off so quickly, even though I was trying to take it slow.

Remember how running order on vinyl/cassette was of such crucial importance in the artistic statement a performer was trying to make? Now, with streaming and iPod shuffle, track order is almost redundant.

Very true. Download/Streaming effectively destroys the concept album where all the songs are related to a theme or even provide a narrative. In the best of such albums, the running order of the songs was crucial - even more so than in a "regular" albu and the the whole then became greater than the sum of the parts.

Very true. Download/Streaming effectively destroys the concept album where all the songs are related to a theme or even provide a narrative. In the best of such albums, the running order of the songs was crucial - even more so than in a "regular" albu and the the whole then became greater than the sum of the parts.

putting 'war of the worlds' on shuffle doesn't really work :^(

After listening to BEV's and CeeJay's versions of Wagon Wheel I just had to give it a go. I got my Risa Stick out, retuned it to A, plugged it into my little Vox AC1 (bass) amp and played it in the original key of A. The uke/amp combo gave me a nice jangly sound which I think just suits the song and the key was perfect for my voice.

I was looking at the Wiked Pedia entry for the song and it seems to have got like the Wild Rover or Whiskey in the Jar over here. It's become one of those over played songs that no one actually wants to sing any more. A pity because they're all great songs but that's what happens if a song gets played too much.

SOTU 178 Tell Me a Story - Bonus

I first This heard sung by Andy Gaul, at a campfire when I was eight years old. I liked it and decided to learn it. My Dad, Tom Coughlin likes it too! This is for him. Abdul Abulbul. It is a bonus to Season 178 -"Tell Me a Story"

SOTU 178 Bonus: Cremation of Sam McGee

The Cremation of Sam McGee is a campfire Classic. This is posted as a "Bonus" to Season 178 "Tell me a Story". I hope you enjoy it.

we had some thunder rolling around tonight. i wanted to make a little song about it for joo's tiny song thread but it ended up being half a minute too long! so i'll pop it here!

thank heavens for the island!

here's a 178 bonus inspired by peewee's entry. sweet betsy from pike.

Top Bottom