The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Folks!

I though that I should post this here on the Island, rather than cause any speed bumps or make extra work for out wonderful host, Janet for Season 229.

My original entry to this Season 229, is posted to the thread here.

I like this FIRST attempt because both the spoken intro that I did, as well as the video performance were both very spontaneous, organic and improvised. It felt very 'on-the-fly' and I wish not to detract from that with a more polished and possibly 'sterilized' version as my 'official' Season entry.

So much of the essence of the Seasons is 'come as you are' (warts and all) and I really love that ethos here...

But when I listened back to the video the next morning, all the rest of that day, I could not shake the feeling that I had the ability to 'do better' with both the performance of the song, and the technical side of the recording...

Thus, I made a new recording, audio-only, and with a smoother flow to the lyrics.

I was hoping that my fellow Seasonistas might like to hear this version as well.

I did not bother Janet with this, since she is going to be busy in the 11th hour...

However, after consulting with a few of my precious confidants...I have decided to go with this path as explained herein.

You know who you are - and I thank you for your meaningful counsel.

So without further delay, I present to you, the ALTERNATE, audio-only version of my original song: 'Aloha, Mahalo, I Love You'.

Please feel free to tell me which version you like better, maybe either via PM or in the YT comments, or here if that is ok (I'm not sure of the Island protocols since I'm new to the Island).

https://youtu.be/JJXJFfPU89M

N.B.: If you click on the SHOW MORE of the YouTube description area, there are reciprocal links between the original version of this song, and this alternate, audio-only version.

Mahalo,

Booli :music: :)

Hi everyone! I haven't been around much because I'm recovering from surgery. And here's a song about it.

I got a brand new scar
Brand new scar
They had to open me up and fix my heart
It wasn't working right
Wasn't working right
Couldn't get it right try as I might
Now I got a new valve
Brand new valve
That old valve was all wore out
Now I'm good as new
Good as new
Looking forward to spending time with you

Here is my review of my new Outdoor Ukulele :)

CONGRATS! Linda! That sounds GREAT!

Loved the song. Made me smile wide :)

I've been on the fence about the ODUs, and I think you might have just sealed the deal.

Is there a 'lelouden' ODU referral code? (maybe you can get some free strings or something?)

OY! UAS is killin me! I need to win the lottery.

jackluis did a great original instrumental for season 228 of the ukulele, you can see it here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjZO37WFKg

i loved it and wanted to do a cover, i said can i change some chords to minor chords, he very kindly said yes, so here is my take on the dance of the amazons! thank you so much jackluis for letting me do this!

jackluis did a great original instrumental for season 228 of the ukulele, you can see it here...

i loved it and wanted to do a cover, i said can i change some chords to minor chords, he very kindly said yes, so here is my take on the dance of the amazons! thank you so much jackluis for letting me do this!

I'm not sure it should be called the "Dance of the Amazons," perhaps the "Lament of the Amazons?" Those minor chords and thumb rhythms are very different from my Dance, but it does fit the genre of what I guess the music was like North of the Wine Dark Sea.

Good one! Send me the chords for it, please. Looked to me like Bm, Em and Am? I assume it's on a C6 Uke?

I originally wrote this after the Bombings in London in July 2005 but, given the title I gave it, it seemed appropriate to re-record it in light of the events in Nice two evenings ago.

Photos of Nice were taken from Google Images.

That sounds really good, Linda. Much better than I expected. What's the setup like and what strings did it come with? I thought I saw a red G string which makes me suspect Aquila?

Sorry You two. Tickets to the island are expensive and I don't get here as much as I should.

The strings are Aquila Reds low G. The set up is great. IT is comfortably just right. I love a low set up and I have to say this is as comfortable as any uke I have had set low.

CONGRATS! Linda! That sounds GREAT!

Loved the song. Made me smile wide :)

I've been on the fence about the ODUs, and I think you might have just sealed the deal.

Is there a 'lelouden' ODU referral code? (maybe you can get some free strings or something?)

OY! UAS is killin me! I need to win the lottery.

You know, I had thought about getting one of these for several weeks before I jumped in. The strings it came with are high G Red Rabbits and I thought they were great. I like a low G so I had them send me some Aquila and I put them on myself.

I wish I did have a referral code but I don't. All I can say is I wasn't expecting to love this uke as much as I do. This is the uke to take every where with no worry. I love its sound. The intonation is right on and I never missed my wood babies once for the whole two weeks I had this with me. That is saying a lot for me!

I am not one to just whip my uke out in public and sing my heart out but with this uke I was completely comfortable and confident and didn't take a second thought about it. There is something awkward about walking down to a lake with a ukulele case but this thing easily fit into the backpack along with everything else I needed. No case, no worry! I was holding a uke while everyone else was holding a pole.

I have to admit that I did park myself away from others. I didn't want to scare the fish or the fisherman :)

Here is the strings choice page from the OU site http://www.outdoorukulele.com/collections/strings and from there you can navigate to the uke page and from there you can navigate to the purchase page ;-)

Ki

"You've Got a Friend" by Carole King (1971). Love Carole King and love this song, which I think summarises perfectly what friendship is all about. (Sorry - not perfect, I know; I did two better takes: the first one was ruined by two motorbikes going past and the second by a fly which landed on my face and made me look as though I was having some sort of fit as I tried to get rid of it!)

Just having some fun with a Beatles tune and Linda (Turtledrum) joined in.

Top Bottom