Song Help Request Take Five by David Brubeck

emennace

Reaction score
Again, my band teacher is making me learn it. WHich stinks. But all I need is tabs! so.

And I would just like to thank Seeso for tabbing out Linus and Lucy. This really is one of the best forums ive been to, where everyones nice.

But please help with take five.

Check the Clickable List of Tabs, it's already tabbed out. You should do a search before making a new thread.

Also, the Tabs section is only for threads that contain tabs. To ask for help on a song, post your thread in the Song Help section, after you've done a site-side search. I've moved this thread to the Song Help section.

What stinks about learning "Take Five"? It's a great and significant piece of music. Can you name any other hit songs in 5/4 time off the top of your head?

Paul Desmond (the alto sax player in the Brubeck Quartet) wrote it and had one of those singularly unique sounds on his instrument. Three notes into a solo and you knew exactly who it was. The whole "Time Out " lp is worth having and listening to. (it also has "Blue Rondo ala Turk" which is 9/8) Desmond also released a really sweet solo album called "Take Ten" which I do recommend along with some recordings he made with a guy named Jim Hall...

Also when Desmond died he left the royalties for the tune to the Red Cross, so your band's performance royalties will go to a good cause.

now get off my lawn.

What stinks about learning "Take Five"? It's a great and significant piece of music. Can you name any other hit songs in 5/4 time off the top of your head?

Yeah, I've always been amazed that the song was such a huge hit. Not that it's not a great piece of music--it is. But look at how many "strikes" it had against it:

1) It was an instrumental
2) It was in 5/4
3) A huge chunk of the song is taken up by a lengthy drum solo

Any one of those things would probably be enough to keep a song off the Top 100 nowadays. It's kinda sad. :(

JJ

Take five is a great piece! Learn it, love it, and LIVE it!!

Also when Desmond died he left the royalties for the tune to the Red Cross, so your band's performance royalties will go to a good cause.

I never knew that. What a wonderful thing to do! Desmond is one my favorite musicians -- and I love his wit.

Also, Desmond made a fantastic album with Canadian telejazz master, Ed Bickert, called Pure Desmond.

Top Bottom