Ukuleles sound better with age ? Myth or True

I think this is thing that is best to find out for yourself. Just identify one or two keepers from your ukuleles and make a goal to keep interested in playing long enough to find out the answer. There are several factors involved. You learn how to play better, your fingers learn where to go, and the wood changes. Even a plywood uke can sound a lot better just because you are a better player.
If you are buying a new or used ukulele, ignore the "opening up" and only buy based on what you hear when you are at the buying stage. If the instrument does indeed "open up" as many do eventually, it will just get better. But if you don't like it you wont play it and you will never know if it ever "opens up".
I think this really sums it up.

Last edited:
OK, how about a THEN and NOW comparison?
Martin sold a tenor ukulele in the early 1930's:

View attachment 58334

Here's that Martin tenor uke as played by Cliff Edwards in 1935 when new:
http://youtu.be/gxMVctFhO88

Here's the same Martin tenor uke 70 years later:
http://youtu.be/X9fXqOz6yAc

What do you think? Has it opened up?

Is that the exact same uke Cliff used or just the same year and model? If its the former, would love to hear the story of how you acquired it. If its the later, not a fair comparison as two ukes, guitars, or mandolins built the same day from the same tree by the same person may very well sound a bit different.
Cheers!
As to which sounds better, sorry, Cliff wins!

Last edited:
Is that the exact same uke Cliff used or just the same year and model? [snip] As to which sounds better, sorry, Cliff wins!

No, they are two different ukes. But it's interesting you think the newer uke sounds better. So do I. Why? Because Edwards is a great player and therein lies the difference.

Because there is no empirical way to test this theory the topic will always be a subjective one.

FACT!!! My stained black Ovation Applause UAE20 both sounds better and is much louder than any new one hanging on a wall in an ukulele storeSo many people want to buy mine and I always refuse. It took well over a year of hard playing to break it in. Ric

A relative has a white label all koa Kamaka built in the 80s that I've kinda inherited. It sounds amazing. Very nice, sweet sound. I don't know what it sounded like 30 years ago,but it sounds amazing today.

'Ukuleles could just as easily sound worse with age. Just depends whether or not you like whatever change may occur.

they undoubtedly have more mystique/history as they get older which can prejudice the ear favorably.

True. But not always.

Ive never had anything old enough to really know the difference but i do agree that the first months, even a couple weeks and you can feel a difference. Of course having strings settle makes a huge difference but putting the first good solid hour or two straight through it makes a difference, whether that is my ear or the wood i guess is hard to tell.

You left out the possibility, along with strings and wood, that it might be the player. And if it might be the player, is it his/her hearing or playing? Or is it some combination of both?

Interesting thread...I have no science...but from my little experience...It seems to me that every uke needs to be discovered how it "wants" to be played...The more I play a particular uke the better it sounds because I discover how to get the best sound from that uke..... I think it takes time to develop that report with the uke and each ukulele requires a different approach to find it's best voice..and of course humidity and climate, etc. also changes the sound...

Interesting thread...I have no science...but from my little experience...It seems to me that every uke needs to be discovered how it "wants" to be played...The more I play a particular uke the better it sounds because I discover how to get the best sound from that uke..... I think it takes time to develop that report with the uke and each ukulele requires a different approach to find it's best voice..and of course humidity and climate, etc. also changes the sound...

I love this response. I think this is always going on, even when most of us are unaware of it. This is why a "new-to-you" fifty year old instrument seems to open up, just like a new one.

Top Bottom