Cheap chinese Ubass

I think they are the steel string models aren't they?

I've played 2 steel string U Bass style instruments. Personally I WOULD buy them over a U Bass because I preferred the feel, sound and intonation over a U Bass. One of the instruments I played was branded Kamoa but the other looked the same as the ones you have linked too. I guess it depends on what you like and what sound you want. While the U Bass is more like a double bass the steel string ukulele bass's are more like an electric Bass in feel and sound. Tighter sound. More string tension. More control.

They were accurately made, solid instruments.

Anthony

Last edited:
You are right. These are the same as the Kamoa. Does anyone know if I can use ubass strings? I want a sound more like the ubass, but spending less.

From the picture in the links you provided, they look like they are perhaps Thunderguts? Don't look like metal strings, none look wound. If so, that makes it a UBass clone. I chose a Samick 34" P-Bass. Paid a little over $100 bucks for it used. Hard to find the little suckers though. Sounds like a regular P-bass.

Last edited:
The Kamoa and the other I played definitely had steel strings. No way that the U Bass or Thundergut strings are going on these instruments. Completely wrong size.

Anthony

You are right. These are the same as the Kamoa. Does anyone know if I can use ubass strings? I want a sound more like the ubass, but spending less.

If you want the U-Bass sound, look for a used U-bass, you should be able to find a good deal on one.
The Kamoa bass is tuned a full octave up from the U-bass.

Top Bottom