kamaka vs Imua

The world can only get better for ukulele players if they both do well and co-exist peacefully. It would be sad to see some form of stupid commercial battle which ends up with both brands losing market share and the Hawaiian making industry suffers overall.

Well said! Luckily we are not bashing any brand here, just doing a simple voting and opinion. My priority is to get a Kamaka first. Only then I will start venturing to other brands. Ko'Aloha, Kiwaya and Imua are definitely included in my to-buy list. :cool:

So, some time has passed and I think many people could play an Imua.

How do they compete with Kamakas ? Do you notice the price difference in the sound and feel ?

Really, as has been suggested, the best option is to try both before buying although that isn't always possible.

I have been visiting the Imua web page of late and was looking with lust at their lineup. I was also contemplating purchase of a 2016 Kamaka, that being their centenary year. As it is though my ukulele buying budget is blown for now, so I'm currently avoiding ukulele ads of any sort including the UU marketplace.

So perhaps against the flow my suggestion to the OP is buy an Imua this year and a Kamaka next year.

I've been trying some Imua out, looking for the the newer ukulele logo as opposed to the older i logo.
I think they sound like a koa ukulele and I'm sure with a change of strings you could make them sound pleasing to your ear.
Finish wise, I haven't seen a gloss, only the satins, and they are nice!
If I had to choose between the two, I'd go Kamaka for the reasons already stated, but if the uke was talking to me I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the Imua either.

This has been very enlightening. I've noodled around on a Big Island and an Imua. I liked em both, the workmanship and the tone were impeccable on each instrument, but both were way outta my price range. I've never played a Kamaka other than an 8 string, which I just plain do not care for.
If I was privileged enough to have the money, I'd try a go at all 3 of them, one each year, until I find out which one sings to me.
Yes, Kamaka holds a very big place in uke history, and someday ukes like Imua, MM, MB will too!

Both have great craftsmanship, both sound great, both are expensive, I enjoy both everyday...In my house they coexist perfectly!!! I vote for both!!!

20161028_213932.jpg

Top Bottom