What uke you would carry around

RayGret

Reaction score
I am about to be on a vacation and I will travel around out of the city. I would like to have an uke to travel with.

What size would you suggest to carry around? Is pocket size too small for playing? (I am a 5ft 6in guy)
I love jazz but I also play ordinary ukulele music, should I use high G or low G?

A flea is very nice in that it has a built in stand and is relatively durable. A solid body like a risa may float your boat as well.

a Concert flea or fluke would be a great travel uke. Re: Kala travel ukes, I only like the sound of the tenor size. Ohana roundback a super "budget priced" choice too.

I'm 5'-7" and travel by car. Recently got myself a soprano Martin OXK for traveling because it's small and made of HPL (formica).

Tuned high G. Sounds okay as I learn Blue Skies, but, I'm just a beginner.

Last edited:
A concert flea w/ the plastic fretboard (fun pineapple face, I wouldn't bother with fancy wood for knock around uke) is my travel uke. Flat bottom is nice for setting it down and sound is not bad and decently loud. Not crazy about the stock tuners, but fine for this purpose. I think the fleas and flukes are too pricey new but if you are open to different colors and patterns you can get a good buy on this forum or FMM. I think I paid $100 for mine.

Another vote for a flea.

I've traveled with a Koaloha concert, a Mele tenor, a mainland soprano and concert, and an outdoor uke. I grab what ever uke I feel is best for the situation. Now I'm traveling with the outdoor uke b/c it is more feasible in my environment.

Another heck yeah for a fluke or flea.

I am about to be on a vacation and I will travel around out of the city. I would like to have an uke to travel with.

What size would you suggest to carry around? Is pocket size too small for playing? (I am a 5ft 6in guy)
I love jazz but I also play ordinary ukulele music, should I use high G or low G?

Carry what you want. I travel with a tenor. As for high or low g, that's your choice. Everyone has their preference.
I travel with a uke that is inexpensive so if it goes swimming I can dry it out and keep playing. :)

Recently made a trip around Australia with my flea. No worries. Need to be a little careful sending it through security. That's all.

Add one more voice to the Flea/Fluke chorus! A soprano or concert Flea is perfect for travel and knocking around.

Scooter

Top Bottom