What is the difference (besides looks) between a $200 and a $600 uke?

revdj

Reaction score
Let me give my question some context. I have my $40 dolphin. I think it sounds good. This is my definition of "good"

When I'm at a friends house, and they take out their guitars and keyboards, I can take out my ukulele and play with them, and I'm not embarrassed - they enjoy me playing with them, and I enjoy playing.

When I'm somewhere like a bar, or a friends house, or hanging in the back yard with people over, I can take it out and sing a few songs (careful not to overstay their tolerance!) and they enjoy it, and I enjoy it.

When I'm home alone, I can play for an hour, 90 minutes, and have a great time, practicing the songs I'm trying to memorize, and then random songs I found on the internet that amuse me. I've played for 3 months, never having played a stringed instrument, and I think it is amazing how pretty it sounds, and I wish I sang better.

So for Xmas or my April Birthday, I'm getting a new one. My local store has Kala, Oscar Peterson, and Lanakai. (My other local store has different brands, but the salesperson at the first has been so helpful, I'd like to throw the business that way). When I've played some of the $100 ones, they are clearly easier to play than the Dolphin, and there is more room on the concert ones. But then I've seen $700 ukes (one on sale for $400!) and played a bunch on the spectrum, and I cannot tell much of a difference. But that can be because I am new; my fingers and ears are not well trained.

I don't want to do the UAS - I want to buy one more uke and then be done buying for a long time. I can pay $100. Or I can pay $200. Or I might be able to swing $600. But I would only do that if it were worth it. The expensive ones LOOK a lot cooler - I've been on the internet and of course am enchanted with descriptions of exotic woods. But I don't want that to be a factor.

I don't want to buy a $200 uke, and then in a year have a better ear and better fingers and want a $400 one.

So for those of you who know - looks aside... what's the difference between the low-mid range ($200) and the mid-high range ($600)?

As always, thank you for your help.

I have a good number of ukuleles, all different sizes and types. Before buying a more expensive uke, it is a good idea to know exactly what size is best for you. I ended up trying a lot of $200- $350 ukes first, then skipping the mid-range ukes, and aiming for the high end ukes. I found in my shopping that you could find many good ukes in the lower mid-range, and that the mid-higher range did not provide enough of an upgrade to justify the price. The high end Hawaiian ukes, and customs are much nicer in tone, and are beautiful, so I would suggest saving up for one of those after you are sure what size you will want. If you can, before buying a high end ukulele, play it in person. Each uke will have tonal differences, and you want to choose the one that you will love the most.

–Lori

I ended up trying a lot of $200- $350 ukes first, then skipping the mid-range ukes, and aiming for the high end ukes. I found in my shopping that you could find many good ukes in the lower mid-range, and that the mid-higher range did not provide enough of an upgrade to justify the price. The high end Hawaiian ukes, and customs are much nicer in tone, and are beautiful, so I would suggest saving up for one of those after you are sure what size you will want.
–Lori

Thank you for your response. A couple of questions:
(1) What is your definition of "high end" - I was thinking "over 600" and it seems you are thinking more
(2) Can you help me to understand "nicer in tone"?
(3) Out of curiousity - what size did you settle on for yourself and why?

The best answer to this question is to play all the ukes you can and buy the one that sounds best to you. Price does not necessarily equal "better," but it usually is an indicator of better quality. The better the quality, the better the chances of a nice sounding uke.

Great question OP (go Hawkeyes btw!) - I too am curious... Especially if someone can compare say a well-setup $200 uke (from MIM or HMS for example) vs. a $600 uke.

Are the $200 and $600 ukes the original retail price or the used price?

Too many variables, really. Solid wood is typically better than laminate. However, a used high quality uke is likely a better idea than a full priced import uke. Again, many qualifiers because the best thing to do is play before you buy.

The differences generally are solid wood, better final product quality control (less likely to get a lemon), typically a better warranty, finer details (more "bling"), more refined build quality (less glue drip, overspray, etc.), and of course, much better resale on the higher priced uke making the actual cost of ownership sometimes less than the $200 uke. (e.g buy $600, sell for $450. Buy the $200, no one wants to buy it as they can buy a new one for $200).

Last edited:
+ resonance
+ sustain

The $200 uke should sound like a block-of-wood in comparison.
...If it doesn't, it isn't that the $200 uke is that good, it's that you got a bum $600+ uke.

Thank you for your response. A couple of questions:
(1) What is your definition of "high end" - I was thinking "over 600" and it seems you are thinking more
(2) Can you help me to understand "nicer in tone"?
(3) Out of curiousity - what size did you settle on for yourself and why?

I consider high end as Hawaiian ukes like Kamaka, Kanile'a, KoAloha, and custom makers like Mya-Moe, Mike DeSilva, Dave Talsma, etc. I love my super concert Kanile'a, and my concert sized Talsma and Mya-Moe. The nicer tone I notice in the high end ukes maintain a rich bass tone but adds a really sparkly treble end that I really love. Oftentimes, there are magical overtones as well, that add an interesting depth to the sound. I have decided to play concert size lately, except for a few songs that I can play better on the super concert's tenor neck.

–Lori

A good $200 Kala (I would recommend a spruce top) is going to sound a lot better than your dolphin. But you definitely want to play before you buy because the variability in sound quality in $200 seems huge to me. If you get a good one I don't think you will regret it. But you will also almost definitely want to upgrade later. I am a huge proponent of the Pono Deluxe and Pro Classic models. Every Deluxe model I have played felt and sounded great. Lots of sustain, resonance, and volume. They sound a lot more like $1000 ukes than $200 ukes. If I were in your shoes I would be looking for a used or blemished mahogany deluxe model Pono.

Those are my 2 cents (but I have only been playing a year so they might be worth less than that).

I, too, have only been playing for several months. My theory is that my ukulele should be as good as I am. At the beginning, I started playing because someone gave my son a Kohala soprano. It wasn't that great, but then, neither was I.

I upgraded several times but now have a Kala Lacewood which was beautifully set up for me by Mim. It's got a solid spruce top, solid lacewood. It retails for over four hundred dollars but of course, no one pays retail. Mim had it on special because they were discountinued which left it a little over $200. I think she still has a few. I absolutely love it, and I don't think I'll get better than this instrument anytime soon.

If I ever get really good, enough to do the instrument justice, than perhaps I'll get a K brand. But until then, my little Lacewood suits me fine.

P.S Fleas/Flukes are also great.

If it sounds great to YOU, and you enjoy playing it, then that is really all that matters.
I have an Epiphone Les Paul that cost $99 - I love playing it. Does it have the rich tone and sustain of my custom Hawaiian ukulele? No. But I still like it.
You are paying for quality construction and attention to detail (usually) as the price goes up.
I also recommend that you buy it from someplace that will set it up and make sure it plays well rather than just handing over the box.
I do have a Pono myself, and personally I think it is among the best quality of the Hawaiian maker import brands. I do feel that my Pono looks, feels and plays like a MUCH more expensive ukulele, I have had it for six years and it still looks new.
If it is at all possible, play the ukulele before you buy it. Buy the one YOU like and can afford.
And most important, keep having fun with it!

+ resonance
+ sustain

The $200 uke should sound like a block-of-wood in comparison.
...If it doesn't, it isn't that the $200 uke is that good, it's that you got a bum $600+ uke.

My sub $200.00 KPK's have both resonance and sustain. Both the mahogany and acacia models.

Look up Louis Armstrong's response to the question "What is Jazz?"

OK, my 2 cents. I own 3 ukes, a lanakai $200 laminate, a Pono low end solid mahogany(about 400 new, I got it for 250 used), and a loPrinzi cherry(650), all tenors. Now, I'm a relative noob on uke, maybe two years, but I've played guitar for almost 50, so I know good instruments. Here are my takes.

The lanakai, the intonation is not real good. (how in tune the uke plays up the neck) There isn't a lot of sustain, but it was fine to start and learn on. I wasn't satisfied with it, in the long run, but it's fine to toss in the van. and not worry.

The Pono is a big step up. The sound is somehow richer, and sweeter, the intonation very good, it just feels like a real instrument. I like playing it, and really don't need a better uke; BUT!

The LoP? It has more volume, it has more sustain, it sounds rich and full, and is an absolute joy to play. I've never played a Hawaiian Koa uke: wish I could some day. But in the mid-price you mention, there are some great instruments. I would look at used ones, if I was in the market, but above all, I wouldn't worry about getting one that's "too good", I would hope to find one to fall in love with.

My two penn'orth (UK money)
Different people will hear things differently, and will like different sounds. I would suggest going to a shop and trying all the ones in your price range in random order without looking at the price tag. If none of them grab you, try another shop. If you like how it sounds, looks and handles, buy it. The one I bought wasn't the most expensive in my price range, but it was the one I was (and still am) happiest with. I only have the one.

What makes an ukulele worth hundreds (or thousands) of dollars is a question I struggle with as well... but in my experience the most important consideration is whether the intonation holds up the neck. I once tried 7 ukes (all the same make and model) in a shop and only one had acceptable intonation. As your skill level progresses I think you will become more aware of this, especially if you fingerpick or play chord melodies.
Beyond intonation close your eyes and go with the sound you like!

What makes an ukulele worth hundreds (or thousands) of dollars is a question I struggle with as well... but in my experience the most important consideration is whether the intonation holds up the neck. I once tried 7 ukes (all the same make and model) in a shop and only one had acceptable intonation. As your skill level progresses I think you will become more aware of this, especially if you fingerpick or play chord melodies.
Beyond intonation close your eyes and go with the sound you like!

You hit the nail on the head dogsatplay. Good intonation and a sound you like. That describes every one of my Brükos's - none of which are anywhere near $600.00

Top Bottom