Want a new amp - have got a shortlist - your opinions please

ChaosToo

Reaction score
Laney Linebacker LR5

Behringer GM108 V-Tone

Vox Mini 3

Roland Microcube

To be honest, they all seem much of a muchness to me, and all come from good makers, with similar modelling specs and price range, so is one a 'stand out'?

Cheers in advance. :D

Microcube. Perfect for ukulele.
Well built, good effects. If you need it louder go for a cube 20 or bigger.

The only one I'm familiar with is the Vox Mini 3, because I had one, didn't like it, and sold it. It sounded thin (I know it's just 3 watts, but . . .) with or without effects. Maybe it would work better with a solid-body uke (or guitar?).

+1 Microcube. I like the Cube Lite at a little more $ also. Not as many effects, but a versatile bit of gear.

I only play for my own enjoyment and chose the Roland Street Cube.

Like my Roland Street Cube, but find it a little large (heavy) for me. I'm over 60 though and not very strong. It's not something I want to lug around, otherwise I'm very happy with it. Like the sound, the battery capability, the effects and the mic line. Good product and good price.

I own a Vox Mini3 and 2 Roland Microcubes. Between the Mini3 and Microcube, I prefer the Vox Mini3.

The Vox Mini3 is 3 watts which gives it a slight, not significant power edge. The Mini3 has a larger speaker than the Microcube, giving it slightly more low end - neither of these amps have a lot of low end output. The Vox Mini3 has a separate microphone channel with it's own volume trim control and effects send control. This allows you plug in your ukulele and also a microphone at the same time. I use Mini3 a lot for busking:

Mini3Busking.jpg

MotuHawaiiParty.jpg

Thanks for all the replies guys - doesn't seem to be too many Behringer or Laney owners out there?

So far, I'm leaning towards the Vox. It's only for playing at home, but the battery power means I can maybe take it away on surf trips, but that isn't a major factor in my decision.

:D

Top Bottom