14 weeks till retirement

Tailgate

Reaction score
7 weeks ago, I posted that I pulled the plug and will be retiring at the end of the year..here's the original post:
21 weeks to go

So I'm now 14 weeks away from joining my wife, who retired officially a couple of weeks ago. Am so looking forward to the next phase. It's very scary in a way, but I'm at peace and good to go. The scary part is the 'what the hell will I do all day?' question and will I miss the action at the job and the people that I really enjoy working with.

I know we'll adjust, especially to all the time we will spend together that we haven't had before. I know many on this forum are retired and sound extremely happy and lovin' life. I have my Moore Bettah (lucked into a private sale) to keep me company. Might be selling a Mya Moe that doesn't get played much. The MB is truly all it's cracked up to be.. absolutely a joy to play. Golf lessons are definitely in plans as is some travel.

Anyway, with so much good feelings and joy on this forum, I thought I'd share a link to a thread on the Early Retirement Forum that has guided me through a lot of the process of preparing. The thread is enlightening and sometimes sobering about the realities we all face in the future, young or of age. Here's the thread It was written by a forum member who has been in retirement for 23 years and he talks about life and living in a straight forward way.

If you're close to retiring or even not so close, the thread is a good reality check and a resource, as the ER forum is a very good source for all things in advance of and in retirement.
Now just dreading the 'retirement speech' :smileybounce:
Cheers...

Congrats on your retirement..
I did it at the beginning of 2013...best thing I have ever done..kind of busy doing nothing....

and I have a new MB to keep me company too....plus other ukes also...haha

I retired in Hawaii so I have fun hanging out at HMS and doing other uke related stuff here...if you are a uke fan no place better than here!...

good luck

Congrats on your retirement..
I did it at the beginning of 2013...best thing I have ever done..kind of busy doing nothing....

and I have a new MB to keep me company too....plus other ukes also...haha

I retired in Hawaii so I have fun hanging out at HMS and doing other uke related stuff here...if you are a uke fan no place better than here!...

good luck

thanks so much... enjoy your posts about hanging out with the guys at HMS... would love to be doin' that on a regular basis.. bet some great players come through the shop. The music must be awesome!

thanks so much... enjoy your posts about hanging out with the guys at HMS... would love to be doin' that on a regular basis.. bet some great players come through the shop. The music must be awesome!

Today I was there for 2 hours and Jodi Kamisato came in and hung out for a hour... super nice friendly guy too....

I enjoyed talking story with him...and he can play with the best!

Last edited:
14 weeks is soon. Good for you. Keep us informed about how it is going, and keep those tips coming. Thanks for the links. I'm planning on retirement at the end of March, I'll be 57. My wife will most likely will retire that same week. We are worried about the money too. But all the numbers and calculations we have done indicate that we will be fine. We will need to be somewhat conservative. My wife will have no trouble keeping busy, me I'll have to get into a routine. I'm making a list of things to do, ukulele, biking, marital arts, pottery, swimming, adulte ed classes. The big thing is the unknown about the money that worries me. We are buying things now that will last well into our retirement including as many ukuleles that will hold me for the duration, a UAS justification, Ha!. Plus we are bringing the house up to par, exterior paint, carpet/hard-wood flooring, plumbing, fencing, etc. By doing these things now should help our finances in retirement, and by the time that I need to paint the house again the mortgage will be paid off. Plus I will have the time to paint it myself. Thanks for sharing. Happy Retirement, keep strumming.

14 weeks is soon. Good for you. Keep us informed about how it is going, and keep those tips coming. Thanks for the links. I'm planning on retirement at the end of March, I'll be 57. My wife will most likely will retire that same week. We are worried about the money too. But all the numbers and calculations we have done indicate that we will be fine. We will need to be somewhat conservative. My wife will have no trouble keeping busy, me I'll have to get into a routine. I'm making a list of things to do, ukulele, biking, marital arts, pottery, swimming, adulte ed classes. The big thing is the unknown about the money that worries me. We are buying things now that will last well into our retirement including as many ukuleles that will hold me for the duration, a UAS justification, Ha!. Plus we are bringing the house up to par, exterior paint, carpet/hard-wood flooring, plumbing, fencing, etc. By doing these things now should help our finances in retirement, and by the time that I need to paint the house again the mortgage will be paid off. Plus I will have the time to paint it myself. Thanks for sharing. Happy Retirement, keep strumming.

Yeah I saved up before my retirement...to get myself something nice...Corvette or a boat...but I am so happy I found the uke...I have many ukes that I love now and so happy to have a great hobby that makes me happy...

not sure I will be able to afford anymore ukes now though...but I am very satisfied with what I have now...

Congrats on your retirement...you will be so busy .....I see you got a Moore Bettah, Was that Rich's uke before>> Hmmmmm

Congrats on your upcoming retirement. Now show us some pics of your Moore Bettah.

7 weeks ago, I posted that I pulled the plug and will be retiring at the end of the year..here's the original post:
21 weeks to go

So I'm now 14 weeks away from joining my wife, who retired officially a couple of weeks ago. Am so looking forward to the next phase. It's very scary in a way, but I'm at peace and good to go. The scary part is the 'what the hell will I do all day?' question and will I miss the action at the job and the people that I really enjoy working with.

I know we'll adjust, especially to all the time we will spend together that we haven't had before. I know many on this forum are retired and sound extremely happy and lovin' life. I have my Moore Bettah (lucked into a private sale) to keep me company. Might be selling a Mya Moe that doesn't get played much. The MB is truly all it's cracked up to be.. absolutely a joy to play. Golf lessons are definitely in plans as is some travel.

Anyway, with so much good feelings and joy on this forum, I thought I'd share a link to a thread on the Early Retirement Forum that has guided me through a lot of the process of preparing. The thread is enlightening and sometimes sobering about the realities we all face in the future, young or of age. Here's the thread It was written by a forum member who has been in retirement for 23 years and he talks about life and living in a straight forward way.

If you're close to retiring or even not so close, the thread is a good reality check and a resource, as the ER forum is a very good source for all things in advance of and in retirement.
Now just dreading the 'retirement speech' :smileybounce:
Cheers...

Congrats on your retirement...:drool:
I have at least a couple of years to go before I can join the retirement crowd. Have fun and keep on strumming

14 weeks is soon. Good for you. Keep us informed about how it is going, and keep those tips coming. Thanks for the links. I'm planning on retirement at the end of March, I'll be 57. My wife will most likely will retire that same week. We are worried about the money too. But all the numbers and calculations we have done indicate that we will be fine. QUOTE]

Kent, thanks... if you want to find yet another 'retirement calculator', the absolute best I found is Firecalc .. it's free and HERE Takes a little getting used to and the user interface is ugly, but it's the one that makes the most sense to me. It runs 102 different 30 year runs of the stock market going back the 1890's and gives you 102 'what if's' for your retirement year based on historical performance, then gives you a probability of success. The whole ER forum is predicated on usage of this particular method, albeit still a crystal ball approach.

Top Bottom