GAS: Who's afflicted? How badly?

I'm just coming down from a decade-long eBay-enabled GAS bender. I have multiple electric, acoustic, and bass guitars... as well as many amplifiers. A lot of the guitars are good Japanese copies of vintage models (Tokai, Fender Japan, Yairi, Asturias, Takamine). I also have a couple of Martin 16 Series acoustics and a U.S.-made Larrivee. And a couple of Danelectro basses, plus a Danelectro 12-string electric. My best amplifiers are a 1965 Supro Trojan and an old Roland Jazz Chorus 77.

Since I became afflicted with UAS a couple of years ago, I have acquired seven ukuleles. Although, my most recent purchase -- a Kiwaya KTS-4 (MIJ, solid mahogany, featherweight replica of a vintage style 0 Martin) -- is so good that it's really diminished my new-uke cravings. I think I'll be satisfied until I can save up for a KoAloha or Kanilea tenor. (Well, maybe I'll buy a Firefly in the meantime... especially if I can find a used concert model for a decent price.)

The only guitars I'm still drooling for are a Rickenbacker 12-string electric or a Martin D-35.

Last edited:
All instrument purchases except my expected custom soprano ukulele are on hold, and have been for the past four years. I'm expecting our finacial situation to improve this summer, at which point, all bets are off. :drool:

In the big picture, I am assembling a collection of No. 1s. So far, I have a beautiful parlour guitar that has sated my lust for steel-string acoustics, and the aforementioned soprano whose delivery should be reasonably soon. I also have four Telecasters and a couple of Strats, all with differing configurations, to satisfy my inner rocker.

My ToBuy list, however, includes the following:

- A nylon-stringed concert guitar (neck joins the body at the 14th fret)
- A twelve-stringed steel-string
- A baritone ukulele of the same quality as the awaited soprano
- A bass

And then I'm done.

GAS? Nah.

I'm currently considering undergoing treatment for a particularly nasty bout of GaS. I might be picking a very rare German 7 string up tomorrow, followed by an 8 string in the very near future.

I just hope Ibanez hold off on releasing their new 9 string.

Can anyone detect a pattern here? Maybe there's a Chapman Stick in my future.

I had GAS very bad for the past 10+ years. Once I got into the uke, the GAS subsided and UAS set in. I'm now pretty comfortable with what I have and have been selling off to make room.

I recently sold my last bass. I have one banjo (Goodtime) left, and one Kentucky mandolin. I've decided to sell the mandolin for sure, and perhaps the banjo too. For guitars, I'm down to 3 hollow bodies. I'll probably sell all but one, a Gibson ES-195 that I received for Christmas. All others have to go, as well as Ukes that don't serve a general purpose for me.

not really guitars for me, mostly basses:

Rondo SX p-bass
Gretsch Electromatic Junior Jet G2202
Squier Protone V
Rondo Hadean Omega ubass solid body

as for guitars...
just picked up an older peavey rockmaster for use with rocksmith for my daughter, full size with just a bridge pickup.

need to pick which bass(es) to offload.

I'm currently lusting after a 12-string and another small-body 6-string (That's for learning Slack Key guitar, or so I'm trying to rationalize it to SWMBO.). I'm not even trying to rationalize the 12-string, though. I just want one. Again. About three years after saying
"Never again one of those #^&*)(^&%& Monsters!" Again.

Oh, yeah . . . a U-bass is in my sights, too. . .

I think I need a good 12-step program . . .

bobinde

Getting my Patrick Eggle back together again has pretty much brought my GaS to an end. I'll never find another guitar to match it.

10402640_10152453636370516_6234447072748937012_n.jpg

Then again, I've got a 7 string next to me that needs some work doing on it that I might swap for a Telecaster...

Or a Les Paul...

Or a...s**, it's started again, hasn't it?

I have three now, not counting the canary yellow with pink floral design First Act 20" scale steel string built like a tank that I found in the alley and which I cleaned up and restrung because my Kamaka broke that day so I figured the lord taketh away cool and gives me back crap, okay. I eventually put it in the Goodwill box and husband said NO! and took it back and hid it behind his chair in the corner. Oh - kay. He refuses to try to play guitar so I think he just likes the color. I remember when I couldn't see how anyone could need more than three ukes. I am super happy with my two Tacomas, though I would also like a Peavey T-60 just because. Then I might sell my Epiphone Pee Wee but it is really a kick because it is one of the early nice ones. And I seriously doubt I could hold for long let alone play anything on the Peavey.

It's been a while since I checked out this thread. I don't feel lonely at all now!

I've actually been pretty good with the GAS. I still have "only" 4 guitars. But not the same four as I had when I started this thread. I still own my my MIA Fender Stratocaster and my AVRI 69 Telecaster, but also own a MIM Stratocaster Junior in black, and sunburst Gretsch 5120.

Hmmm,ok here goes

1933 Gibson L5
1938 " " L4 x 2
1934" "Roy smeck
1938" "Roy smeck
" " LC Century
1933" " L1
1934" "LOO
1928" " TG-1
1934" "L-75

!927 Martin 0-28k
1926 Martin 2/17
1890 Martin 1-21

!920's Stella's
Jumbo modelx2
Koa grand concerts x2
Black special
sovereign x2

1920's weissenborn Kona, style 4
DSCN3103.jpg
1830's Guiot,Panormo style

Paramount Supreme archtop

National style 0 1937
" " Tricone 1929
" " El trovador 1933

Larson made Stetson 1920's

plus a few more.will have to have a look in the music room.....
DSCN3103.jpg

Last edited:
I now have two more Tacomas for a total of four, a Peavey T-30, a Yamaha JR-2, and an Epiphone PeeWee. I hope to settle out the keepers, it was the same deal with ukes but more expensive: find what fits, feels, and sounds just right and keep it, and sell the rest. I'm waiting for the latest Tacoma which is a parlor, then plan to take a photo of the entire extended family, and assess what group to sell first and also photo those for sale. One of the Tacomas (the DM-18)is the better half's so doesn't really count.

PS: Skip, WOW!!! :cool:

I seem to like guitars with a few miles on 'em. I own a 1962 Martin D-21, a 1958 Goya M-26, a 1950 Gibson LG1, a 2010 Gretsch Synchromatic arch top and a Tele clone with noiseless pick-ups. There's an old Yamaha in Nashville tuning in the house too. My wife has a 1921 OO-18 that I'm allowed to use. I guess that's it for guitars. There are also banjos, mandolins, a banduria, a bunch of mouth harps and Autoharps and assorted other instruments that I have been gifted with.
Oh yeah, we have a few Ukuleles and banjoleles too.

Gosh. I'd like more guitars, but nothing to compare with what a lot of people have here.

I've got a Takamine my brother gave me, I forget what model/series. It's quite nice.

I got a cheap electric that I use on Rocksmith, but would really like a nicer electric. Very nearly bought an Epiphone SG, but decided I should keep my cash for the trip o/s I was about to go on. I'll probably get onto it sometime though.

Also definitely want a bass guitar. Not sure I'd go too crazy with guitars once I have one of each.

I just added a circa '72 Framus "Sport" or "Wander", hog back (arched) and sides, I think all lam but solid spruce top, has a bolt on neck like my Tacoma Chief, which was great as I needed to shim it. I replaced the tuners which were tight and fugly with some StewMac cheapie geared that look and work great. Strung it up in super light steel, it's supposed to be able to take nylon or steel but was getting a little too much relief, now it's really playing nice with the neck flatter. I put my cell phone camera inside with the flashlight app on and made an HD video, it looks like it has a steel bridge plate to which the bridge is screwed in! They are usually disparaged mightily as cheaply overbuilt and funky but there are some winners, this is one of them if you find one in good shape, and cheap, but I wouldn't want a set neck. Great clear sound out of this little parlor size or travel guitar for the $112 plus shipping I paid off the 'Bay, and new tuners. Has a 22 1/2 inch scale which maxes me out. I can't really play a full size scale without a capo or barring which is hard for me. It has a nice neck with a truss rod, a little on the narrow side on the fretboard for which they are known, but playable unless you have fatter fingers, then just get a Tacoma Papoose for a sweet sparkly short scale. The Framus though I can tune standard, the Papoose has a 19" scale so tunes up. At some point I will put a bone saddle in. I had a Framus tobacco burst steel string when I was around 17, that's just over 40 years ago.

I have an entire house full of instruments in every room - not acquired so much through GAS (although I did go through that stage earlier in life), but from 40+ years of love of music. Now, I face a problem - my wife and I are seriously considering the full-time RV lifestyle so that we can travel the country. We're especially interested in music festivals of all types from coast to coast. Even if I get rid of all but one of each instrument, it will still be too much. We don't have a workable solution yet, which is why we are still house-bound and not on the road...

Guitar Aquisition Syndrome....one possible answer ....

Variax 700........27 guitar sounds ...result ...After 4 years Happy as Larry with an Epiphone 175 .....because of the ability to play the different types of guitars sound ...and an arch top semi acoustic actually fits a fat bastidd like me ..

And keep the Variax of course.....I believe the new modelling guitars are even better ...can't quite see how but there you go....!!

You guys always make me feel better. I have an old Sigma and a Taylor GS Mini HV that I bought last month. I now have full-blown GAS and am currently shopping for a good buy on a PRS electric. After that I want a PRS acoustic and then ...

I just added a Composite Acoustics (now owned by Peavey, of which I have a circa 80s 24 inch scale electric, a T-30, love it!) Cargo Raw finish travel guitar, a 22 3/4 scale and just an impeccable instrument. Scope them out if you are looking for a smaller guitar, it's awesome and is my go-to now, so now I can sell all the others except the electric and the Tacoma Papoose, Bwahahah!

Well, I will try...!

My descent into IAS

It was easier in my salad days. At any one time, just one cheap acoustic guitar and a few harmonicas. Then, for years, I grew a moustache and sometimes a beard, so no harmonica-playing. (Harps tend to rip-out facial hair by the roots. Ouch.) I built dulcimers but sold them all.

As life became more prosperous I tended to buy computer-type stuff (like synths, including a MiniMoog), then cameras and lenses, then ethnic arts.

I inherited grandpa's banjo-mandolin. And somehow a 5-string banjo crept into the house, and some recorders and ocarinas, and better guitars. One friend sold me a bass guitar and 250-watt amp cheap. I got the Aloha lap steel and its 15-watt tube amp real cheap. A friend gave me a concertina.Tin whistles and a bagpipe chanter appeared, and a slide trombone, and more guitars including an Ovation 12-string. A great yard sale provided an electrified Ibanez PF-5 and a Kay mandolin for US$130 total. Mountain dulcimers materialized, and Cumbus o'uds, and a dobro, and tubular bells, and suddenly a few 'ukes, and... it never seems to end. INSTRUMENT ACQUISITION SYNDROME. Well, we donated the trombone and a clarinet, sold the church organ, and turned down a couple pianos. That's something.

I now need a database to keep track of the buggers. I count 21 lutes (guitars, banjos, ukes, mandos, o'uds, etc) and 3 zithers (dulcimers and the lap steel). And I'll build more, yow. There are 28 mouth organs, the concertina, a melodica, 12 fipple flutes, some kalimbas, a toy piano, 2 analog synths and 4 digitals, and various percussion. I'm sure I've missed a few, but my current count is about 100 instruments.

I'm not really on the hunt for guitars but they might happen-in while I'm looking for a charango, guitarron, mandola, whatever. All I need are the right garage sales, or another drive to Paracho.

Top Bottom