Koa grades

Jorma

Good to see you here. I used to buy koa shorts from your dad's company. He'd select some boards out of the kiln, I'd send money and hey presto, beautiful quartersawn boards would arrive - lovely pink koa, light as a feather and superb sounding. Those were the days when I could trust that I'd get what I asked for - it was called pfc then and a phone call to Renee would make me wish I was 8000 miles from home on the beach in the Big Island...

I think in a few Moore Bettah Koa buys he'll get ahold of the elusive "Pele grade Koa". It does not shimmer but instead looks like flowing lava. It even glows.

Hello All! This is my very FIRST post and felt it was probably the most appropriate place to start and share the DEEP SECRETS to how we come up with the grades of Koa.

THANK YOU! This is a terrific first post. So based on what you said, when a seller says the koa grade is 4A we need to ask "how high does your scale go".

I guess the grade is just based on supply and demand. Which is good cuz I don't like the super curly koa. Mine will be less expensive. :D

Ultimately it doesn't matter and what I think us makers look for is 'pretty wood'. Maybe we should have that as the grading system - pretty, prettier and prettiest... because lest's face it, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ain't it?

Just want to chime in here and express my gratitude for the awesome builders and suppliers who take the time to post here at the Underground. The information you supply this community does not go unheard or unappreciated. Thanks.

Buying Koa

Hi again all,

Thanks for the kind words about appreciation for the insight to koa grading. I just got back from the Big Island this afternoon- was busy over there checking on my koa production and buying more koa and all that kind of stuff. Flew back in late in the afternoon to inspect a batch of green, quarter-sawn, curly koa that someone was offering me for sale.

My advice when buying koa- no matter who you buy from- even if from us- don't be afraid to say NO and check on your suppliers experience. Some people don't have as much experience as others, and the claims I hear all the time, today included, don't often justify the price being charged.

If you have the luxury of inspecting before you buy- please DO! I as a supplier wish every one of my customers could look at the wood before they buy. And if you are choosing your own wood, if for any reason you don't like the wood or don't want to buy it, you shouldn't feel pressured in any way. know your budget and what you want and try to stick to it. believe it or not, koa can be found out there if you look hard enough- even if you don't live in Hawaii.

But if you do come across 5A, 6A, or even some of Chuck's 7A, snap it up if you can afford it. It is hard to find.

Later, when I find some time, I'll start a thread on "koa mythbusters"

Mythbuster #1 - it is NOT illegal to harvest koa or cut LIVE, standing trees. seems odd I would even say that, since there are so many koa ukuleles out there, but many people often ask me if it is illegal to cut koa. It's odd for me to field that question, since I think, "wow, they must not think very highly of me considering my business is all about cutting koa!" Maybe they don't think about it like that, but when I bring it up, they are kind of like, "you're right, it would be odd for so much stuff to be made out of koa and it be an illegal activity."

They are probably thinking about cutting down the live trees, versus salvaging the rotting trees on the ground, but regardless, they are all legal activities. If you own your own land, you can pretty much do whatever you want with the trees, which includes koa.

Aloha!
Jorma

Hi again all,
Later, when I find some time, I'll start a thread on "koa mythbusters"

Mythbuster #1 - it is NOT illegal to harvest koa or cut LIVE, standing trees. seems odd I would even say that, since there are so many koa ukuleles out there, but many people often ask me if it is illegal to cut koa. It's odd for me to field that question, since I think, "wow, they must not think very highly of me considering my business is all about cutting koa!" Maybe they don't think about it like that, but when I bring it up, they are kind of like, "you're right, it would be odd for so much stuff to be made out of koa and it be an illegal activity."

A Koa Mythbusters thread would be excellent!! Yes, please make one.

I thought it was illegal to cut koa too. Or at least, I thought it was getting endangered enough that they are under some sort of protection. So is it true they are endangered? And if so are things being done to replant them? How old must a koa be before it is mature enough to be cut?

koa I've got is so dense and "tight" that it's impossible to resaw straight, like ironwood.
i am not bad at resawing, its the one thing i do good so far.

A Koa Mythbusters thread would be excellent!! Yes, please make one.

I thought it was illegal to cut koa too. Or at least, I thought it was getting endangered enough that they are under some sort of protection. So is it true they are endangered? And if so are things being done to replant them? How old must a koa be before it is mature enough to be cut?

from what i learned today from one of the guys at work, the state and bishop estate own about 90% of all the koa. it is illegal to use that.
the other 10% is private land owners, which is where all of the koa for instruments comes from. so imagine, out of the miniscule 10% that is used, how much of the 10% is actually master grade.

Last edited:
Koa is the largest of the native trees of Hawaii. This beautiful tree has been used by Native Hawaiians for many uses, such as canoes, paddles, housing timbers, and carved figures.
-taken from jorma's website

imagine a 5A curly canoe.

Top Bottom