about performing and fear

Blank731

Reaction score
I recently made a video that discusses the social fears and anxieties that go along with performing, where they come from and what to do about it. I made it with playing guitar in mind but I play the uke more these days, especially out at open mics, so I think this applies here too. Let me know what you think :)

Great, lots of new players have problems with this.....some not so new also. Thanks for sharing.

I always enjoy threads on performing. I'm interested in all aspects. I want to hear about equipment, set lists, singing tips, memorization, performance anxiety, and more. I have been finding the blog, The Bulletproof Musician, helpful. I also subscribe to your vids, Adam. I found them helpful, early on, for picking some easy cool song that I could perform without a lot of pressure. I agree with you that folks should get out there and play in public, regardless of skill-level. There are easy 3 or 4 chord progressions that are great songs. For a beginning performer, it makes you comfortable and relaxed in your performance when you know you can memorize the chords easily and you already know the melody and most of the lyrics. Then you can concentrate on your musicianship and enjoy performing. It's about as stress free as you can get. I think putting yourself out there, performing, right from the start helps you to grow more as a musician and is a good habit to develop. Thanks for the encouraging vid.

First of all, I loved this video, it had a real vsauce feel to it, I learned about more than just the main subject, laughed, and most importantly, you have a great flow to your speech and editing.

Second I felt like you were speaking directly to me, this is something I have a huge issue with,
I have a couple weeks of seasons of the uke stuff recorded that I could never bring myself to post.
I have absolutely no problem acting like a fool in front of people on stage or at a social event but as soon as it comes to singing and playing its totally different.

I am very new to ukulele, two months under my belt, but I feel and hear myself getting better(kind words from my gf help), but I know I am not a competent singer. I had a surgery with a few complications a couple years ago and I haven't been able to sing since. I may not have been an amazing singer before but I could carry a tune, now it's like trying to balance salt shaker on a tooth pick to control my chest voice. My daughter and girlfriend are the only ones who have heard me sing since(well sober) but I still enjoy it so much, I love belting out lyrics to a song I haven't heard in years.

Alright I'm done yapping away now, thanks again I am gonna check out your videos. I was thinking of finding one song I think I'm good at and posting somewhere here, but we'll see.

Thanks again

This was great! You have a fun, easy presence on video! I am terribly intimidated by the thought of playing in front of anyone. This is mostly due the fact that, (of course I recognize that I am new and unskilled) my nerves get a hold of me so tightly that I make mistake after mistake...it is just a cascade of errors. I can't concentrate...in fact, I can hardly think straight. I have been this way ever since I started playing stringed instruments over a decade ago. I guess this is stage fright?

I am not really concerned as much with being judged as I am about not being able to function! I already recognize that I am a big nerd, no one can offer me any insight in this dept about myself that I don't already recognize. My co-workers have already observed that I go TDY with a ukulele strapped to my back (and that it has to come to lunch with us when we arrive, because we haven't checked into the hotel, and it can't stay in the car--I call it my ukulele purse)...SO...what else is there to be embarassed by at this point? Hehe...

I am really working to get my brain on board with my desires! I love playing both my guitars and (especially) my ukuleles, it seems sad to not be able to enjoy my passion with others. But, at any rate, your video is very encouraging! Thanks! :D

As an improvisational comedian as well as a teacher, I have no fear or qualms about getting up in front of a group of people (small or large) and perform. However, when it comes to playing the uke, I still have a bit of hesitation. The feeling of “Am I good enough?” is quite a hindrance. I suppose I’ll never know if I never do it. The first time will be quite harrowing, but after that, it’ll no longer be “the first time”. Should be a lot easier after that point, because that fear of the unknown will be gone.

And, after all, it’s about personal satisfaction and joy, yes?

Great post, and great video and topic.

I like the point the video makes, and the tie to our primal history, and that only reaffirms my experience that for me the key is to make the performance be about the music itself not me. With that the music happens, and ends up being/feeling more sincere and honest. And I even get to enjoy it more as I listen along with the audience...

Since you are already comfortable in front of groups, yet still feel uneasy about playing with a Uke, and for others that may be interested, I highly recommend reading Kenny Wenrers excellent book Effortless Mastery http://kennywerner.com/effortless-mastery

I first read it when I started studying classical guitar about 6 years ago. Talk about performance anxiety with classical guitar in particular, you can feel like the red dot on a target.

The rest of these comments apply mainly classical guitar, but they can apply to the Uke if we take it too seriously...

Usually, you play by yourself very intricate, and precise, and the audience usually knows the music and can be critical... All this goes through your head as you try to play Bach or what not... Then if you forget your place etc...

Well with this book, and over time, I've come to feel comfortable playing in public. And have stopped the running commentary in my head.

In fact as the book suggests, the optimal feeling/experience is if you can hear the music, and enjoy it much like the audience does. When you perform music, all thoughts of what's wrong, right etc have to be left behind in the practice room.

And if you mess up so what, the sign of the best musicians are the ones that hop right over any mistakes like stepping over a puddle and continue with the music. It's all about the music, not us.

Ironically, what I do find even more difficult, is making videos as I hate mistakes since they will always be there. However, once posted I've come to realize that even those mistakes are just like a live performance, part of the fabric of music.

And as it turns out, even though I can be overly critical with myself, and still a bit reserved, I've come to love the warmth of a formal stage. I find it strangely comforting, like being under a pile of fresh dried laundry...

In fact I find it easier than an informal performance since in those cases people are not really focused, talk, tslk to you while you are trying to make music etc...

As an improvisational comedian as well as a teacher, I have no fear or qualms about getting up in front of a group of people (small or large) and perform. However, when it comes to playing the uke, I still have a bit of hesitation. The feeling of “Am I good enough?” is quite a hindrance. I suppose I’ll never know if I never do it. The first time will be quite harrowing, but after that, it’ll no longer be “the first time”. Should be a lot easier after that point, because that fear of the unknown will be gone.

And, after all, it’s about personal satisfaction and joy, yes?

Last edited:
Top Bottom