The cheaper the better

Status
Not open for further replies.

UkeKiddinMe

Reaction score
I don't know if there has been a thread on this before, and it's hard to search for.

The thread is about - your view of the enjoyment of low end ukes.

All my life, regardless of what instrument I played at the time, I always sought low end - low priced - equipment. It may seem strange, but I get satisfaction out of getting good tone out of something that doesn't cost much.

I'm totally not into instruments that are works of art. I can appreciate them a great deal from a distance, but I have no desire to own them.
Instead, I have always gravitated towards low end, ordinary stuff - that I try to get the most out of.

You?

For many years, I was that same way. However, after sitting down one time and looking at all of the work I spent in updating, modding, or just general setups, I realized my time was worth something and opted to find an instrument that might cost more initially, but that I wouldn't have to do anything with down the road (with the exception of a minor setup here and there).

That's not to say that I don't still find some very inexpensive ukes that fit that bill, because I do. However for me, at this point in time, I'd rather spend more time playing a well made instrument instead of working on one to make it sound better.

I love my "The Triumph" ukulele from Empire Music. I think the price has gone up all the way to $58 US.Triumph.jpg
One of my favorite guitars is a $300 Cort. If they play nice, they are nice.

It's not an either or for me. I love plugging in my k-wave and making up loud, ridiculous, bad songs. I can't imagine having as much fun doing that with a high end uke.

For daily playing I use one of my more traditional, medium range ukes. I think I would like it even more if I had a k-brand, or other high-end uke, but it's gonna be awhile.

My first uke was a Makala tenor, and I'm still amazed by how good it sounds. I had assumed I would be moving on from it once I got some "nicer" ukes, but the sound and pleasure it gives far outweighs the little bit of money I would have had in my pocket had I sold it. It's officially my daughter's now, but I still claim it as my low g tenor.

I may have been lucky, but it didn't even need any setup when I got it. All it needed to sound great was a set of Aquilas.

I have a little blue Mahalo soprano that cost me £20, and you know, it plays just fine, there's nothing wrong with it and it gives me lots of pleasure. Yesterday I tuned it up to the old traditional D tuning out of curiosity, and liked it just as much..... I won't be giving it away.... it doesn't sound the same as my high end Kiwaya but I don't expect it to...... by the way, I've got Living Water fluorocarbons on it now - as I have all my wooden ukes.

Last edited:
It is all so very personal. I have a high end ukulele. I LOVE to play it. My low end ukuleles sit on stands. I remember when Jake played my first ukulele. I made it screech. Jake made it sing. Should have heard him play my high end one. Wow!

It is not the ukulele, it is the player. Nothing wrong with a low end ukulele.

I get a lot of enjoyment with the whole "silk purse from a sow's ear" sort of thing, but I have a good ear and do appreciate how a "great" uke sounds. I can remember clearly how good I thought my Pono sounded until I picked up a Kanilea. I figure as long as you're having fun and enjoying your instruments, what the hell, isn't that what it's all about anyway?

It's not an either or for me. I love plugging in my k-wave and making up loud, ridiculous, bad songs. I can't imagine having as much fun doing that with a high end uke.

For daily playing I use one of my more traditional, medium range ukes. I think I would like it even more if I had a k-brand, or other high-end uke, but it's gonna be awhile.

That K-Wave was cool. I'm glad you are enjoying it but sometimes I wish that I had kept it. I was in a marching guitar band this summer and the K-Wave would have been cool to march with.

I have never owned a high end ukulele. I have a Rogue soprano and two Rogue baritones that I like a lot. The other cheapos I've had, I've given away as gifts. One day, I may get more upscale baritone, but there is something lowdown and funky about those Rogues that I really like. I have modified them some - lowered action, changed tuners on them all and the bridge on the soprano - but basically they are the same. This does not mean that I have some kind of principle here; in my career as a pianist I absolutely LOVE great grands and such...

I own a makala baritone and I don't think i'd ever switch to a better one! this one has a sweet tone and not to mention, I refinished it myself :D

A Makala baritone sounds like a good idea.

My beater uke is a purple Mahalo soprano. The nice thing about it is that you CAN beat on it and mistreat it and leave it outside in the grass or in the car. . . very useful that way, a feature not found in higher-end musical instruments! :)

I didn't started playing uke until earlier this year. Since I have the means, when a friend suggested how much fun the uke was to play I decided to get a nice one. My Dad always said buy the best you can afford at the time ... it will last longer. He wasn't talking ukes but that always stuck with me. Now that I have some quality ukes I am far less impressed when I play a cheaper model at the music store. As long as I can afford them I'm going to stick with the high end. As was mentioned earlier, I like to spend my time playing them as opposed to fussing with the setup stuff.

I've kinda gone through this on my other posts, but to reiterate; I always look for good deals, my first uke about 5 months ago was a Mahalo UTL-30 T Style, designed to look like a classic Fender Telecaster. I saw it in a Musicians Friend catalogue for $99 shortly after I bought a Fender Telecaster ($399 down from $499), which was really the only reason I bought the Mahalo, thought it would be "cute" matching the Tele. I searched the internet and found the Mahalo for $65.

T-style.jpg

As I started playing the Mahalo, I found that it was rather difficult to make the cords, and in researching, found out about sizes. The Mahalo is a soprano, and I realized I needed a tenor, coming from playing guitar for so many years. So I opened up my latest Musician's Friend and found a Lanikai LQA-TCA on special, $149 down from $329. I drove over to Sam Ash in Hollywood and saw it there for $329, asked if they match prices, they said yes, so I bought it for $149. But, it had a Fishman Sonitone preamp in the sound hole in a bad position. I tried to return it to Sam Ash, but I was past the return period, so I yanked the Sonitone and installed a Fishman Isys+ in the side. (I sold the Mahalo shortly after for $35).

uke1 Lanikai LQA-TCA2.jpg

While the Lanikai was out of commission, I realized I would need a second uke in those circumstances, so I got online and found an Eddy Finn EF-13-TE for $158 down from $249. I didn't like the preamp either, so I changed that out.

uke2 Eddy Finn EF-13-TE2.jpg

To cap the whole story, when I tried to return the Lanikai to Sam Ash, they looked up another choice and found a Gretsch G9121 ACE for $239, but it would arrive after the exchange period, so I passed. When I got home, I researched the Gretsch and found lots of very positive reviews. I then found it at N'stuff in Pennsylvania for $199, free shipping, so I ordered it before I actually bought the Eddy Finn. The Gretsch was on backorder with a two month delay, but the price was so good, I went with it. I arrived yesterday and is it nice.

uke3 Gretsch G9121 Tenor2.jpg

They're all solid top, the Lanikai is easy to play with a wide nut and I had the action lowered, the Eddy Finn is brighter with a polished finish, and the Gretsch I'm still evaluating, but it sure feels good. I'm going to have the action lowered on both. I also added strap buttons to the bottom of all of them (no qualms about that what-so-ever, especially since I also cut the sides out for the replacement preamps).

So yes, I look for bargains, but I also try to stay in a level that makes the deal worthwhile. All three ukes get good reviews, and I think they all sound good.

Last edited:
It is not the ukulele, it is the player. Nothing wrong with a low end ukulele.

bad intonation is bad intonation. Not even jake can fix that. And I'm sure trying to compensate the intonation by doing slight string tension adjustments on the fly is just utterly irritating to someone like him.

It's not an either or for me.

Same here. I have several expensive ukes and a bunch of cheapos that cost between 15 and 50 dollars. On balance, the cheapos get played more. All ukes are happiness machines, whatever their cost. Dodgy intonation doesn't even bother me, my ear isn't that refined. My first uke was a painted blue mahalo that cost 20 bucks and still gets played most days, even with the bridge and the back separating. :)

I've not spent more than about $275 so far and I really value a "find"... great performance for the price.

One of my favorites, if not *the* favorite I've had is my little Kala-SLNG concert neck laminate soprano. $88. With an HMS setup!

If it intonates well, has a decent action, and isn't terribly screechy (which more often than not is a result of string choice) I'll play it. If it doesn't at least intonate well I just can't stand it. Out-of-tune chords are like fingers on a blackboard for me. Price doesn't really figure into the equation.

John

The best low end value I have seen in my short uke life so far is - the natural finish uke at RondoMusic. Enclosed tuners. Very beautiful wood.
It was an awesome Soprano. I set it up as best I can, and I gave it to my daughter, who loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom