Is your uke collection up or down this year?

So far in 2013 has your uke collection grown, decreased, or stayed the same?

• Grown

Votes: 62 68.9%
  • Decreased

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Stayed the same

Votes: 11 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm up, although I have given away a few to friends and relatives that wanted learn to play.

Six is the magic number. After some impulse buys this year and selling some "keepers", presently have six concerts. :)

Try to keep it there.

What What .....I thought you only had 3 high end kamakas...you been holding out on me ...hee hee

Just checked how I was doing on the number of ukes in my house.
While I haven't done well resisting buying some really nice ukes, I was surprised to see I had more going out (-19) than coming in (+16), so far (but the year isn't over yet ). Right now I am -3 on the year.

So, I am curious to see who else has trimmed or grown their collection this year.

Stan and Len, I already know the answer. :D
Aloha Doc,
Congrats on your new Aquirement.....you sneaky guy...I know what you got now....he he :)
What collection? I am uke ohana deprived... yes I did sell alot to upgrade some of the best ukes now....always sad to let go alot, but the new better one make up for it..
What's the sense of ukes resting in their cases....Your friend, Stan

I think I've gone from 9 to 5 ukes, or -4 for the year so far. Hopefully I've hit bottom and things start looking up.

Last edited:
From 0 to 1. Just started two months ago. However, there are a number of ukes out there that really tempt me.

Same. I gave away two starter ukes to a couple of my kids, when I replaced them with two very nice ukes. I do have my eye on a bass, so then I will be up one.

Just checked how I was doing on the number of ukes in my house.
While I haven't done well resisting buying some really nice ukes, I was surprised to see I had more going out (-19) than coming in (+16), so far (but the year isn't over yet ). Right now I am -3 on the year.

So, I am curious to see who else has trimmed or grown their collection this year.

Stan and Len, I already know the answer. :D

Haha, funny Doc...

I added a Wolverton,Moore Bettah and my Devine(very soon) but I am done..my ukes need to be played now...

oh yeah...I just ordered a Ko'olau CS...Indonesian Rosewood/Redwood top for next year...haha

From 3 to 7
Although 1 is kinda on a permanent loan. :)

Haha, funny Doc...

I added a Wolverton,Moore Bettah and my Devine(very soon) but I am done..my ukes need to be played now...

oh yeah...I just ordered a Ko'olau CS...Indonesian Rosewood/Redwood top for next year...haha

Wow Len...you only got some top shelf. I bet that Ko'olau will be special...make sure Corey gives it some good mojo!

I'm the same as I bought and sold. Next year I will own a few more as I can't imagine selling any of my ukes.

Last edited:
Mine has shrunk. Sold a custom Dasilva concert, an Ohta San, a Vento tenor, a Kris Barnett tenor, a Mya Moe BRW, a Collings UT3, a William King longscale concert, a Lymana tenor, a Ko'olau CS koa and gained a Devine and an LFDM. Waiting for a Grimes, a Wolverton and another couple by a lesser known luthier.

Sold 5 and have at least 1 more to sell.

Mind you I bought an Imua is-c4 no94 which I haven't put down since I bought it.

I started playing about five months ago when I made an impulse buy of a Mahalo UT1 Telecaster style soprano. Shortly after, I realized soprano was too small, so I sold it. I did a little research and decided to buy a tenor cutaway with electronics. I bought a Lanikai quilted ash at a super discount. When I took it in to my luthier for setup and lower the action, I realized I needed a second uke while one was in the shop, so I bought an Eddy Finn spruce top also at a super discount.

Then UAS kicked in and I bought a Gretsch mahogany for a discount. I figured that was going to be it for me, three ukes and I'm just learning, but last weekend I was cruising eBay and found an Oscar Schmidt beautiful spalted maple at a deep discount, and the next day found a Lanikai monkey pod blem at a super discount. So as of tomorrow, Friday, my count this year is six, sold one, five on hand. BUT, I just came from McCabes in Santa Monica and saw a beautiful Kala acacia for a slight discount, but I reined in my UAS, at least for the time being.

Last edited:
some of you more 'mature' ukesters know how to reduce your collection.
However, the rest of us are true 'acquirers' as in 'acquisition', the name of our 'affliction'.

unlike the mercurial ups and downs, ours are steadily growing (ie in acquisition-mode).
that may not be a good thing, but boy does it start a lot of threads in this forum :)

I have acquired at least a couple more, most recently a spalted Maple Kala Soprano from MIM!! :)

I don't even know how many I have both in Seattle and in HNL :)

keep uke'in' everybody!

I stayed static. One new uke came in but one went out to make room for it (a KoAloha tenor for a different KoAloha tenor).

I gave 5 or 6 away this year, but I also bought three new Martins (style 3 soprano, style 2 concert, and 2k tenor). So, I'm down. I might be uke housecleaning again soon.

Petey

Haha, funny Doc...

Now, that is how to add to your ukes! Great additions Len. That EIR/RW Ko'olau will be awesome. Something about redwood really sounds nice with EIR.

Now, that is how to add to your ukes! Great additions Len. That EIR/RW Ko'olau will be awesome. Something about redwood really sounds nice with EIR.

It's not EIR but Indonesian. I don't know enough about wood but if it's like Indonesian coffee (civit), it's pricier.

Last edited:
It's not EIR but Indonesian. I don't know enough about wood but if it's like Indonesian coffee (civit), it's pricier.

Thanks for the correction. I'm not good with identifying coffee either! :)

Indonesian Rosewood(Dalbergia) is dense and hard like Brazilian Rosewood...looks like it too...dark and yellow streaks...seeds might of come from Brazil many many years ago to Indonesia...Noa recommends the wood...deep tones but with clarity...so i trust him....

My collection has decreased and is going to continue to do so. I've gotten back into my guitar playing so my uke playing has suffered due to this. I've sold 3 in the past 3 weeks. My Koaloha D-V1 and my 2 Collings UT-2s. I still have for sell my Collings UT-1 and my Kanilea super concert. I'll also be selling my tenor Fluke because I've played it maybe 10 minutes because i just don't like it. I never play my Favilla soprano because well its a soprano and i domt like soprano so it will be going also. I'll probably stop there for now. I'm keeping the 1st Collings I got from Dana because it had the best sound of all the Collings. I'm also keeping my Kamaka HF-3 and Kamaka Lili'u. I'm keeping my Bluegrass cigarbox because it's low G and sounds great and I couldn't sell it for enough to justify the great sound that comes from it. Also keeping my Favilla baritone because it's one of the good ones and like the Bluegrass just couldn't sell it for enough that will make that much of a difference in my bank acct to make me happy.
I can't play them all so I would rather have the money in my bank rather then in a case.

Top Bottom