kamaka HF1 bridge, nut and tuners

willisoften

Reaction score
I have a Kamaka in need of some care and attention.

This Uke is in good condition but whether though some poor modifications or "special" set up I'm not sure but:

The slots in the bridge seem enormous and only fairly thick nylon strings will sit easily in the A and G slots without tying enormous knots.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Equally - the slots in the nut are neat looking and cleanly cut and about the right depth, but again noticeably wide for anything but the thickest nylon strings. Is it worth doing anything about this.

I replaced the missing Schaller tuner with a look alike but they suck.
I'm happy with Gotoh UKA tuners on other Ukes but have to wait to 3 weeks to get them. How do Worth 4Ws compare? I can get them fairly quickly.

Thanks.

Not sure if this will help or not, but for what it's worth - I own 2 circa-2000s Kamakas that I bought new (and have owned 2 that I bought second-hand) and every last one of them has had this problem with the A and G string slots in the bridge with every string set I've tried other than those awful black nylon things that they come with. I just tie enormous knots and don't worry about it, but every string change it annoys me just a bit. It doesn't seem to cause any problems other than aggravation - intonation is not effected and there isn't any buzzing or anything.

But it still annoys :)

Funny, I have the opposite condition: the bridge slots on my Kamaka concert are too narrow. Kamaka strings fit, but Aquilas will not thread through.

Nevertheless, it's not a difficult fix. In the case of slots too wide in either the nut or bridge, a luthier can fill them in with CA glue. The nut slots will have to be recut.

Not sure if this will help or not, but for what it's worth - I own 2 circa-2000s Kamakas that I bought new (and have owned 2 that I bought second-hand) and every last one of them has had this problem with the A and G string slots in the bridge with every string set I've tried other than those awful black nylon things that they come with. I just tie enormous knots and don't worry about it, but every string change it annoys me just a bit. It doesn't seem to cause any problems other than aggravation - intonation is not effected and there isn't any buzzing or anything.

But it still annoys :)

A fellow sufferer - sort of a relief in a strange way :)

Some pictures would help, but I tie the string around a craft bead which hold well in the slot. I also have a few sets of Gotoh UKA's. You don't mention in your profile where your located, but I could probably sell you a set cheap. I have black, and pearl. The Grover 4W's are excellent tuners as well. PM me if interested

Some pictures would help, but I tie the string around a craft bead which hold well in the slot. I also have a few sets of Gotoh UKA's. You don't mention in your profile where your located, but I could probably sell you a set cheap. I have black, and pearl. The Grover 4W's are excellent tuners as well. PM me if interested

I 'm in Belfast - Northern Ireland. Theres a local craft-shop not far from here , I'll take a look in there - thanks for the offer - I've got some Grover pegs on order too.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom