Say "Hola!" to a really solid enty uke

hucklelele

Reaction score
Sorta new at this ukulele thing- although I've played some guitar-

But I just got this Hola! soprano uke on ebay after shopping around for something beyond toy and souvenir, but not costing a lot of money otherwise.
http://www.amazon.com/Hola-HM-121MG...=UTF8&qid=1381056889&sr=1-88&keywords=ukulele

I've had a Rogue mahogany steel string guitar for a few years, and I bought it after hearing a street player with a mahogany. I love the mellow sound of the wood, but know it's not the more expensive uke.

When I started pricing this kind of uke, this was in a price range by itself- seemingly similar to others usually around $15 more.

I bought mine- a basic mahogany model with no binding on the edges- an hour too late. It was priced at $35 right up until I went to order it, and it had jumped up three dollars within the hour. I ordered it anyway.

The reviews were all good, and I'm NOT disappointed, although I haven't had it for a day yet. It's put together very well, the mahogany body is attractive with satin finish and minimal varnish to dull the sound. The soundhole is an ample 2 1/8 inches to deliver good punch, while the mahogany delivers good resonance and overtones.

I'm not sure what the strings are, but they seem very adequate for the first round- not cheap looking plastic- they are nylgut of some type- and 24 hours later they are holding good tune. The geared tuners are soild and not cheap looking or feeling in any way.

The saddle has grooves for knotted string ends, if you are concerned with that in either way. It seemed they took just a bit more peg turning to settle into the groove, but seem to work adequately otherwise.

The nickle plated frets are finshed nicely, with dot inlays- The body is also quite ample in the soprano category with a lower bout of nearly 7 1/4 and an upper bout 5 3/8 wide, the body depth is a full 2 1/2 inches while the length of 9 3/8 gives a great sound. So high marks in worksmanship all the way around.
This extra lightweight full resounding ukulele will undoubtedly blow most cheap painted ukes out of the water!

I am usually wanting to lower the action on almost every string instrument I play, and this is the first one that might be just the teeny tiniest smidgen low,

because so far I'm noticing the slighteset fret buzz on the high string "A"- it appears to be slightly vibrating onto the 12th fret mostly when I'm pressing on the middle, on the 5th through the 7th fret, and only when playing hard. A slightly thicker guage string, or a dab of glue under the nylon bridge at that end would probably be enough to quell it. I'm going to maybe file that 12 fret just a little first. I don't know if ukes are much like classical guitars yet, but on a guitar the neck bending under string pressure would quickly take that much buzz out naturally. That would be my only complaint, and very possible to solve I think. The low action makes it a very playable uke otherwise.

Anway- at still over $10 under the competition otherwise, I'd recommend this Hola! uke to anyone. It just looks "quality" and unless you get a fluke uke, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom