So I bought a 1950s Martin Style 0!

Bumgardner

Reaction score
Update Pics added on page 2!

This morning I was at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville, just browsing around, then I saw it a 1950s Martin Style 0. Well they had several, but one of them just hit me. It is a beat up ukulele with a stripped finish, and a few top and side cracks. It however plays amazingly well. The action on it is perfect, super low, and the intonation is perfect (according to my best tuner it is less than 1c off at the 12th fret).

I played all of the vintage style 0s in the store and this had the best tone. I talked to them about stabilizing one of the cracks on the back, but they recommended leaving the crack alone, they thought the tone was too good to mess with the crack.

Anyway here are some pics from the Gruhn website
UK1226.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! I like that it has been loved.

Gruhn is high on my list of sites to see when I get a chance to visit Nashville.

Gruhn is a great store. I have been buying from them for the last decade. Their new location is awesome, it is way bigger and has tons of free parking.

Congrats. I too have an "O"...a pre-war one, a family heirloom. I call these things "the gold standard" for mahogany sopranos.

I saw yours online when I was shopping a couple of weeks ago. Then a '60's 0 appeared on Craigslist and I pulled the trigger.
Have fun with it.

Congrats. There's nothing quite like a Vintage Martin, I know I love mine :)
Cheers
Gary

Congratulations! I dream of owning one of these too!

Congratulations! I have one as well and am always amazed at the tone and volume that comes out of it.

Mitch

Congrats! My Mid 30's Style 1 Martin has a crack in the back, similar to the one your's has. The man I bought it from has had it since the late 50's and the crack was there when he got it. So I figure it's probably going to be ok during my lifetime too :)

Thanks for the case recommendations. I actually ordered one a fee days ago and it arrived yesterday. I ordered a Stagg Tweed case. It looks super nice and has an excellent fit.

Welcome home.

I think this thread deserves some more pictures!

p639767954.jpg

p697900550.jpg

p876547623.jpg
p623044930.jpg

1) you were in Memphis
2) you were in Gruhns
3) you bought a uke there
4) It's a vintage Martin

CONGRATULATIONS on all counts!!!

Top Bottom