A Good Deal on a Luna Acoustic Electric Concert

drmosser

Reaction score
I was looking for an acoustic electric uke to plug into my computer to experiment with recording. I think I found a pretty good deal on a Luna TAPA Concert through Amazon. The price fell a few bucks last week to $92.00 and I quickly snapped one up. It was back up to about $100 this afternoon. I think the average street price is about $199.00 at the moment. After playing it for a few days, it has met my expectations for an entry level acoustic electric (decent sound at a good price). I am still experimenting with plugging in and recording to my computer, but initial tests, even at my beginner skill level, sound pretty good to me. This uke came with Aquilla strings which I will probably change to some variety of fluorocarbon strings. Just thought I would point out the deal for others who might be wanting to experiment with an acoustic electric uke at a lower price point.

Luna UKE TAPA CDR Solid Cedar Top Ukulele
http://amzn.com/B0073XH0IC

Looks like a great deal. Those Luna's are decent ukes for this kind of money. Amazon, as well as many other sellers, change prices on Sunday.

Buying from Amazon, I knew that I would get this uke "as is" from the factory without any setup. However, for 50% off and with Amazon's reasonable return policy, I was willing to take a chance. So far the only thing I have noticed is that the 2nd (C) string is a little sharp coming down each fret. I can see that the C string sits a little high in the nut. It looks like the string is just too fat to seat into the slot nicely like the rest of the strings. That might be corrected by switching the strings from Aquilas to smaller gauge fluorocarbons or with some very gradual sanding of the nut on that one string. Even if it needs minor adjustments, I still feel like I got a deal.
I didn't realize Amazon changed prices on Sundays. I will have to keep an eye out for that as I order from them frequently.

Looks like Amazon read my post to these forums and the price on the Luna Tapa is now back up to $116, just $4 shy of the price on the similar Luna Mahogany Series Tattoo Concert Acoustic-Electric Ukulele. I wonder what algorithm Amazon uses to adjust their prices on things. I would speculate that item demand factors into price adjustments somehow.

Update: Luna Tapa

Update: The Amazon.com price on this Luna Tapa is back up to $160 as of 11/11/2013. I did end up sending back the first one of these that I bought and getting a replacement from Amazon. That first one had a slight intonation problem that I just couldn't accept. However, the replacement was perfectly fine out of the box. I've left the Aquila strings on it for now, as it sounds reasonably good. I plan on wearing out the stock Aquilas before trying different strings. Overall, I still think it was a good deal at slightly under $100 when I purchased it. At $160, I don't know. There may be equivalent or better sounding electric ukes slightly above that price point.

Top Bottom