Just lost a friend

My most sincere condolances to his family and friends..

Aloha Mike. We are sad here because we will miss you. Kind gentle soul, sold me my first tenor uke.

I was lucky enough to spend a couple of hours on the phone with Mike before buying my Kala from him - the instrument he recommended and set up, and which I will never let go of. It is special, because he was special, and treated everyone else as special, too.

I finally got to meet him in person at the Wine Country Uke Fest this past September, and I know that the heat was doing a number on us all, but even though it was rougher on him than on many of us, he was still MGM, and larger than life, to me. One of my Ukulele Heroes.

He is at peace now, and we are all richer for having had him in our community.

-Kurt​

RIP Mike--I'm so glad I got to spend time with you in NYC--you are everything that is good about the ukulele community and life in general. I'm gonna miss you a lot

:( I was hoping he would pull off another miracle.... I loved seeing his Facebook posts of good food and good times and great ukes. How he lived his life was a good example to everyone. Enjoy everything, have a great sense of humor, and be a friend to all. Done too soon, Michael Aratani. :(

This is some shockingly heavy news. I last saw him after a stopover on Oahu after a Korean tour a few months ago. He was his usual chipper self and we were all laughing and joking around. I'm glad my last memory of him was a happy one.

My condolences goes to the family and friends of MGM. We all lost a a key player in the uke world. Rest in peace, MGM.

Wow, MGM helped me get my Kamaka tenor earlier this year after I had just lost my mom.

I learned Gentlemandolin and play it when I think of her.

I haven't had my uke out lately, been concentrating on my mandolin but tonight I'm getting it out and will play Gentlemandolin once more for MGM.

RIP Mike

Deepest condolences! It's a loss to this world and a gain to the other. Keep ukeing. Although I don't know him personally, I've had a plan to get something from him in the future, but fate has turned the corner and it won't happen now.

Into Paradise may the angels lead you MGM.

Didn't buy my first 'ukulele from him but bought my best 'ukes from him.

Wow, this comes as a big shock. Knew he had health issues, and had been up and down over the last few years, but he always managed to bounce back with a lot of resiliency and spirit.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

I would say Rest in Peace, but it doesn't seem appropriate for Mike. I'm sure he's hanging out now with the other guys up there that are just making some noise. He may no longer be with us, but the legend of MusicGuyMic will live on. Condolences to all friends and family.

Aloha MGM. You will be missed...

Sad to see you go my friend. May you rest in peace with an ukulele in your hands...

Man...never met a stranger and always happy to help. Thanks for steering me down this road MGM, and for always brightening things with your smile.

Top Bottom