Joined the Pono Family

Pono arrived tonight. I really like the low key satin look though I do like the fret board on the D model better. I am moving from a Soprano so I will have to get used to the size and the seemingly thicker strings.

I am not sure I like the steel (wound?) third string. It rings for a long time which is nice but seems out of balance with the others and not so traditional. It also just feels a lot different on the fingertips and I can hear it hitting the frets. I'm not sure I will stick with it but will give it a while and see.

I'm wondering if a low G will sound better with the wound C string. Or if I go low G and unwound C. I'm hearing good things about the flourocarbon in terms of warmth.

Any of your experiences are appreciated.

Thanks

Glad to hear your uke has arrived. As you can see, string choice is very subjective and varied, so just be willing to try a few and see what sounds good to you. I actually prefer having the wound third string, the sound seems to be more balanced and not as "dead," to my ears anyway.

congratulations! let us know how sweetly it plays!

I replaced the wound C with a regular one and like it much better. Maybe I'm an odd one.
Now I notice the G seems very muted and the A could be brighter.

I ordered a set of Fremont Blackline Mediums and an unwound Low G. I also ordered a set of Savares 150(?) and will see which ones I like.

In the meantime I may go to my local Alameda store and see if they have a Low G and/or Aquilas or Worth Browns I can pick up. Their selection is limited for ukes.

I replaced the wound C with a regular one and like it much better. Maybe I'm an odd one.
Now I notice the G seems very muted and the A could be brighter.

I ordered a set of Fremont Blackline Mediums and an unwound Low G. I also ordered a set of Savares 150(?) and will see which ones I like.

In the meantime I may go to my local Alameda store and see if they have a Low G and/or Aquilas or Worth Browns I can pick up. Their selection is limited for ukes.

have you checked out El Cerrito Music Works...they have some nice ukes there and strings too...or Ukulele Source in Japan Town in San Jose, all ukes only and all kinds of strings

I would try Ukulele Source first

have you checked out El Cerrito Music Works...they have some nice ukes there and strings too...or Ukulele Source in Japan Town in San Jose, all ukes only and all kinds of strings

I would try Ukulele Source first

I'm definitely going to Ukulele Source on my next trip to San Jose. Oddly I haven't had any face to face meeting down there lately. I might see what Music Works has if my local shop doesn't have anything.

Thanks

I'm definitely going to Ukulele Source on my next trip to San Jose. Oddly I haven't had any face to face meeting down there lately. I might see what Music Works has if my local shop doesn't have anything.

Thanks

Also check out Aloha Warehouse in San Francisco's Japan Town. They carry all of the Hawaii "K" brands, a large selection of Pono's, and the entire line of Ko'olau strings and the most popular ones.

Top Bottom