The Dolphin hype?

bbycrts

Reaction score
I don't know...

I have a custom but wanted something cheap to kick around and enjoy in harsher environments. So I got a dolphin, mostly based on things I've read around here.

My thoughts? Well...I tried new strings, tweaked the tuners, polished the frets and the thing still sounds like a cheap plastic uke.

Any ideas?

The only thing I like about the dolphin, is that I gave one to my three year old twins (actually when they turned two years old), and they have yet to find a way to break it. It has really taken a beating, and only has a couple minor cosmetic marks to show. Otherwise, it's just ok. I bought it from Uke Republic, so it was set-up properly, but it still just doesn't do it for me. In my opinion, a Flea is a better choice for lower cost, durable, but still playable ukulele.

-Steve

If you can afford a custom, you can afford a Flea.
Mine has been with me all over the world.
Sounds good, plays easy and it's darn sturdy.

it is a cheap plastic uke. well is has a laminate top. they are mostly playable and near industrictable. with the right strings and a little tweaking, mostly lowering the action at the nut and or saddle, they don't sound half bad and better than most $40 instruments.

Having played "plastic ukes" the dolphin doesn't sound plasticky. That being said: a dolphin *can* sound okay. I won't say it *will* sound okay. ukerepublic sent me a serious serious lemon when I bought mine. I doubt they will put much effort into a bottom end ukulele. perhaps quality control was bad that day or just on vacation. I had to move the bridge 1/4" closer to the nut and it currently sounds about like my 3yro son's mahalo...playable but not great. On the other hand I was extremely fortunate with a butler music lu-21p which has been excellent for me.

I've played a lot of Dolphins and never quite gotten the point either. With that being said, I have played some sub-$50 ukes that were quite playable and intonated correctly, which is all I really expect at that price point. I suppose like anything else that is mass-produced, you're bound to find good ones and bad ones. I doubt you'll find many great ones, though.

I agree. I bought one after reading all the positive reviews and haven't been very impressed. Mine wasn't professionally set up. I've changed the strings and worked with the bridge. I wasnt expecting it to sound spectacular, but hoping for something better than how it sounds.

My experience with them is pretty limited, but when I bought a Dolphin for a friend's kid a couple years ago, the shop I went in probably had a good 25 or 30 on display. I tried Every. Single. One. of them and only one passed my criteria for playability and tone. I took it home, strung it up with Aquilas, and my friend's kid ended up with a pretty decent uke. Had I bought it sight unseen, I doubt that this would have been the case - the other 20+ Dolphins sounded awful (the shop in question, for the record, does not do setups).

That being said - my cheap kick-around uke of choice is the Kiwaya KS-0P travel uke. The MSRP doesn't quite fit my criteria for "cheap" but they come up on eBay and Craigslist occasionally for half that. I think I've had mine for 3 years and it's spent a lot of time in my car trunk, on the beach, and on hikes, and is still going strong. And it's actually a pleasure to play.

I got mine setup by Uke Republic with Aquila strings and it plays nicely.

Of course it sounds cheap. It is cheap.

I am one of those people who regularly plug a well setup dolphin - but I don't do that to people with $200 to spend - I do it people who are insistent they are only buying a $40 uke as in that price range (having played dozens of brands), I think they are hard to beat.

I don't know...

I have a custom but wanted something cheap to kick around and enjoy in harsher environments. So I got a dolphin, mostly based on things I've read around here.

My thoughts? Well...I tried new strings, tweaked the tuners, polished the frets and the thing still sounds like a cheap plastic uke.

Any ideas?

I never played one but they always looked like cheap toy pieces of crap. I would say the lanikai lu-21 is the best cheap soprano out there that still sounds like a mid range instrument with the cost of a low end one.

I have one that has never been set up properly. I have a set of Blacklines on it and it sounds pretty darn good. I think it is the best bang for the buck out there.

I've played many LU21's and many Dolphins. The Dolphin sounds, to me, far better on tone and projection

Oh, oh. Quick, don your flame retardant underwear - you're about to go down! LOL

Seriously, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the Dolphin is way, way, way over-hyped. The Dolphin I had is the only uke that I have owned that I had to level the frets to be able to bring the action at the nut down low enough for decent intonation. None of the LU-11s (roughly the same price) that I have purchased for kids needed anywhere near as much work.

They're cute, and if you have the patience and knowledge you can make them playable. That's about all I can say for them...

John

It's the sound that matters, at the end of the day.

I've heard plenty of ukes in the Cheap Uke category. The Dolphin beats the others I've heard.

I've played many LU21's and many Dolphins. The Dolphin sounds, to me, far better on tone and projection

I heard there is quality control issues with lanikai
which may or may not be true. I can say however my lanikai
right out of the box was pretty much spot on for a cheap uke.
Its not perfect but pretty close to it for the price. I'm very happy with it.

I think you get quality control issues with both. I've seen a LOT of LU21's and 11's with issues, particularly at the nut, saddles that can't be lowered any more (i.e. bad neck joint etc).

Same with Dolphins - but they are half the price. I just personally think with both, in good setup shape, the Dolphin has more zing

I spent less than an hour on adjustments for mine! I filed down the bridge to lower the action and restrung it with aquilas. Didn't need to do anything about intonation, it stays in tune just fine all the way down the neck. I must have been lucky.

It is no Martin, but for what I paid for it, it makes a fine "All-Weather" Uke. I am not afraid to take into schools or on holiday with me.

Top Bottom