The Dolphin hype?

I bought a Dolphin from Uke Republic that wasn't very well set up and even after I filed the nut slots it never did much for me. However, a few weeks ago someone on another thread here suggested tuning cheap or small ukes up to "D" so I tried that. Greatly improved tone and sustain.

The wife no longer leaves the room when I pick it up. From annoying to tolerable. Remarkable actually.

I like the Dolphin for what it is, it does not come anywhere close to my DaSilva or any other good ukes I have, but for price it sounds better than my "Outdoor" plastic hunk.

I bought one at Bounty Music on Maui. Had them put Aquilla strings on it and it sounds fine. Gave it to my daughter to learn on and it stays in tune. Pretty good for the price.

This thread is diff't than other threads I've read in the past. Maybe it's that people have better ears, more educated, etc but whatever the reason, the dolphin is not getting as much hype as when I first started playing.

A dear friend once told me, "smoke some weed, it will sound better."

I don't know how that would turn out, since I don't do either weeds or dolphins.

I think "good" is a very relative term when it comes to Dolphins. I think what it means is "instrument grade" or "not a toy" uke for under $50 (when I bought my daughters). Comparing it to anything but another $50 uke is likely not fair. The charm of the dolphin is the fun colors, fun bridge, low price and the fact that it is not a toy. To get started on a new instrument for such a low price is a bargain and many people realized that. Once you decide you are actually going to play, then you will soon want some else. In that way, it is the perfect "gateway uke" for UAS.

Though I have "graduated" to different ukes, I still think it is a great entry-level uke. It is much easier to drop $50 to try something new (especially if you haven't played anything before) than it is to drop $200-300. Also, it could be that there is more competition at the $50 mark than there was a few years ago when Dolphins were all the rage.

For the money I don't know that you can buy a better uke. Mine stays in tune relatively well, has relatively good intonation and you just don't have to worry about it.

Don't know much about Dolphins except the fact the they are generally recommended.

I think my first uke, the Kala KA15S is is good value at about $55. It looks like a uke. It sounds like a uke. And it plays like a uke.

I was in Uke Republic in Atlanta last weekend and was in the process of purchasing a Mainland Hog Concert for my daughter. I thought I'd ask to see a Dolphin, thinking I'd pick it up for my wife and try to get her interested in the "ukemania" that is sweeping my family. I looked up and saw a very cool little Mainland "Chili" soprano that was set up and ready to go. It was strung with Red Aquilas and I couldn't pass it up. I just set it down after playing it for a while during my evening couch veg session. It sounds great for a little plastic uke and is a blast to play. Is it in any way close to my koa Pono; nope, not close. But for the coin, I am glad I picked it up!

My 2 cents on the Dolphins (thats about what we make on one) The Dolphin is not a high end instrument. Whats it point? To provide inexpensive ukulele fun. Does it provide it? Why YES!!! and more. It has a rosewood fingerboard and bridge . Many others in it's price point offer ebonized . Eh? Wood painted black. The Dolphin is durable and has an arched back. This little soprano has been used in schools, retirement communities, civic groups to name a few. Its a bit like a modern Macaferri ukulele in that it's affordable, durable and is in many homes. It slices, dices and julienne s...Okay it doesn't do that part. So many have bought one as their first ukulele which in turn has brought them joy and introduced them to playing. A lot of people buy them as their on the go uke. Toss it in a back pack, beach bag etc. No worries it cost less than $50.00. Hey I just spent more than $50.00 on a Tex-Mex meal, Burp.
I think about the VW Beetle- It wasn't as luxurious as a Cadillac, not as quick as a Ferrari but it didn't cost as much either and that little car changed the world. I'm thinking VU "The peoples ukulele"
So not saying there is any hype with the Dolphin. It is just a fun little ukulele that gives most folks more than their monies worth.

This is the first time I realized dolphins have plastic backs. My cheapest were mahalo and a Lu-21 or something similar. Meh.

This is the first time I realized dolphins have plastic backs. My cheapest were mahalo and a Lu-21 or something similar. Meh.
The first ones were all wood. Makala still has the MK-S available but not in all the colors. The Sharks of course are the same body as the Dolphin.
I can remember way back when a Dolphin was wood and had flat backs- said in an old man voice.

I'm with Mike on this.

The Dolphin does what it promises to do: cheap uke fun. No more, no less. If it was a Martin I would not have 4 Martins. It's not. Therefore, I have one Dolphin and 4 Martins.

Set up with lowered action and nicely dressed frets (mine was done by MGM) it's a delightful--I repeat--delightful instrument. It is not over-hyped. As far as I know, Kala has resisted the urge to print KAMAKA on the headstock.

I replaced the strings on mine for Aquila (at the time)
and lowered the action very slightly at the nut.I since
have fitted Worth Browns on it,and it is still my 'Go
anywhere' uke.Playable,and for the price,a good sounding
little beast! I have owned this one around five years now
and never found it to sound 'tinny' or 'off' in any way!

I'll be honest, I've never really understood the Dolphin ukes. To me, they sound like nails on a chalkboard. But they've definitely got their fans, so clearly they must appeal to plenty. There's something to be said for their durability, but I much prefer Fleas and Flukes. Just (or almost) as durable, and they sound a million times better (imo).

My 2 cents on the Dolphins (thats about what we make on one) The Dolphin is not a high end instrument. Whats it point? To provide inexpensive ukulele fun. Does it provide it? Why YES!!! and more. It has a rosewood fingerboard and bridge . Many others in it's price point offer ebonized . Eh? Wood painted black. The Dolphin is durable and has an arched back. This little soprano has been used in schools, retirement communities, civic groups to name a few. Its a bit like a modern Macaferri ukulele in that it's affordable, durable and is in many homes. It slices, dices and julienne s...Okay it doesn't do that part. So many have bought one as their first ukulele which in turn has brought them joy and introduced them to playing. A lot of people buy them as their on the go uke. Toss it in a back pack, beach bag etc. No worries it cost less than $50.00. Hey I just spent more than $50.00 on a Tex-Mex meal, Burp.
I think about the VW Beetle- It wasn't as luxurious as a Cadillac, not as quick as a Ferrari but it didn't cost as much either and that little car changed the world. I'm thinking VU "The peoples ukulele"
So not saying there is any hype with the Dolphin. It is just a fun little ukulele that gives most folks more than their monies worth.

I never tire of this video! Too much fun....

Bought a Dolphin for the nice sea foam green/blue color. Strings had probably seen previous life landing an aged mackerel. Did a 15 minute setup and added Martin M600 strings. Sounds a whole lot better than some ukes that cost 2-3 times what I paid. I like it.

Strings are important. So are frequent exercise and fiber in your diet.

Top Bottom