Good or Bad idea?

ohmless

Reaction score
I have a problem with my fretting thumb getting slippery on the neck from sweat. Then my thumb slides up the neck and my fingering gets sloppy. I am considering putting a textured sticker on the back of the neck at the second fret position to help with the problem. Should I do this or would it be detrimental to my playing when I get more proficient? I don't care about resale value or none of that because I am hooked!

I have a problem with my fretting thumb getting slippery on the neck from sweat. Then my thumb slides up the neck and my fingering gets sloppy. I am considering putting a textured sticker on the back of the neck at the second fret position to help with the problem. Should I do this or would it be detrimental to my playing when I get more proficient? I don't care about resale value or none of that because I am hooked!

Is it a glossy neck?

If you 100% truly don't care about resale, sand it down to matte/satin.

I'd recommend not doing that. As you play more challenging music, you need a bit of slip and slide to move your hand up and down the neck quickly.
If you can find a sticker that won't leave sticky gook on the neck after you take it off, then maybe it would be alright.

Or just play in a cold, sweat-free room :)

thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and went the less intensive route and got some 240 sandpaper and rubbed the finish off a bit. It was a glossy neck BTW.

How does it feel and look now?

Feels great on mine!

I don't encourage it, but this practice is very common among mandolin players. Many players believe that a flat finished or unfinished neck increases their speed (bluegrass playing requires a lot of speed!), and will either dull or remove the finish from the neck entirely. Some builders even market models with an unfinished neck. Personally, I think it looks and feels weird, but some swear by it.

DIAMONDBACK_B.png

How does it feel and look now?

Feels great on mine!

definitely less slippery. I know most of the problem is my biology but that is something I cannot change unfortunately. I still have to wipe the back of the neck after a couple songs.

if you stated playing Nov 1, 2013, I'd give it a little more time and see if your technique improves. some of the things I had problems with when I first started are no longer problems. sanding the neck is ok, I've done that with some of my other instruments. not to bare wood, but to make them feel less sticky and easier to move around on. at any rate, good luck in whatever you decide to do!

edit: I also have somewhat sweaty hands, although sometimes it's worse than others

I might be weird (no comments needed) but I have started using powder on my hands. I get really nervous and my hands get sweaty, too. I had some old bowling ball powder and have been using that. It sure helps keep my hands dry. Maybe try something like that. I'd do that instead of sanding the neck

Top Bottom