Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Guitalele?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central CA USA
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Are you playing a steel-stringed guitar, and if so, why not just find a parlor or 3/4-sized nylon stringed guitar? They're no harder on the fingers than a uke's nylon strings, and while the spacing might be a little tighter, the necks are generally pretty wide on a classical guitar. Certainly they're larger than ukes, but they also give some variety to your playing.

    Alternatively a baritone uke will let you use the same chords as a guitar, minus of course the bottom strings, with a wide string spacing, and if you really want it to be a uke, that may be an option. (For me they're too big to have the uke sound I like (even with re-entrant c tuning) and still don't fill the bill for a guitar, but that's just me). But guitars are good too...and the larger body gives you more volume and richness of bass tones. Nothing wrong with having and playing both, rather than trying to find something that covers both categories, which will still be a compromise no matter how you do it.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Denver area
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyinby View Post
    Are you playing a steel-stringed guitar, and if so, why not just find a parlor or 3/4-sized nylon stringed guitar? They're no harder on the fingers than a uke's nylon strings, and while the spacing might be a little tighter, the necks are generally pretty wide on a classical guitar. Certainly they're larger than ukes, but they also give some variety to your playing.

    Alternatively a baritone uke will let you use the same chords as a guitar, minus of course the bottom strings, with a wide string spacing, and if you really want it to be a uke, that may be an option. (For me they're too big to have the uke sound I like (even with re-entrant c tuning) and still don't fill the bill for a guitar, but that's just me). But guitars are good too...and the larger body gives you more volume and richness of bass tones. Nothing wrong with having and playing both, rather than trying to find something that covers both categories, which will still be a compromise no matter how you do it.
    If this is for me (meaning I hijacked the thread), I'm in the same situation as OP. Only play ukulele and no experience or desire for full sized guitar. I currently have a lanikai bari string cuatro-c which I do find to be useful at times. I think it's pretty gigantic. I do have a small string student guitar we bought some time ago before I started playing uke. I was hoping my oldest daughter would play when staying with us (she took lessons at one time) but she didn't stay with it. I really, really dislike it.
    Martin OXK, Natural Concert Fluke, Schoenhut PT5400 (work), Lanikai LU21P (beater), Yellow Burst Dolphin, Plastic Bugsgear, Lanika LU21B Cuatro

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    trondheim, norway
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    I think the guitalele is a fun little instrument; certainly worth exploring. However, the thing to understand is that it is neither a guitar nor a ukulele. The guitalele is a guitalele. It is good for many types of music, as anyone can see on youtube. I like the fact that I can play guitar type music on a small, portable instrument. If I had to make a choice between a ukulele and a guitalele and a guitar, I'd go with the uke (any size).

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    21,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bao View Post
    Any classical guitar set would work for a guitalele since it's being tuned higher. If you want a colored set, Aurora strings makes colored classical strings to use (http://stringsbyaurora.com/). I can't really say much for their classical guitar strings but their bass strings are awesome!
    They would be thicker... But essentially would be fine... You can buy sets that would be better if you search for requinto strings, Requintos and Guitaleles are both tuned ADGCEA and therefore use the same strings! IN FACT! Requinto strings allow you to turn a 3/4 and 1/2 size guitar into a Guitalele (OK so it's technically a requinto but same tuning, call it what you want! )
    -Andy


    Signatures|YouTube|Twitter|E-Mail|The Blog|U.U. Mini Jams|Facebook
    They're all snipes. Usually Seeso snipes them. He just tried it but didn't get it. HA! -sukie
    Katie replied, "You poho people are like drug addicts and you're each others drugs".- salukulady

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central CA USA
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    If this is for me (meaning I hijacked the thread), I'm in the same situation as OP. Only play ukulele and no experience or desire for full sized guitar. I currently have a lanikai bari string cuatro-c which I do find to be useful at times. I think it's pretty gigantic. I do have a small string student guitar we bought some time ago before I started playing uke. I was hoping my oldest daughter would play when staying with us (she took lessons at one time) but she didn't stay with it. I really, really dislike it.
    The OP had been playing both...the uke for several years and the guitar just recently, and that was the reason for suggesting a guitar. For someone who only likes ukes, there's no reason a guitalele wouldn't be the answer, but that didn't sound like the case. I don't think one has to necessarily like playing only one or the other, guitars and ukes are different instruments, and the similarities lend themselves to migrating from one to the other, either way.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ewa Beach, HI
    Posts
    14,394

    Default

    I started out playing guitar when I was in 4th grade. I had at that time a 1/2 size classical guitar. This would in my opinion be the perfect instrument for an ukulele player to try playing guitar. It is not too big so as to seem unwieldy to an ukulele player, yet the string spacing will still be similar to an ukulele. When I pick up my guitar now (as I have been playing ukulele pretty much exclusively the last five years) the string spacing on my Fender acoustic seems impossibly narrow now, and I have trouble playing. I wish I still had my old 1/2 size classical, I bet I could rip on that sucker now!

    The descriptions of the nut being too high or too difficult to play would be easily solved by taking your instrument to a "real" guitar shop, not guitar center or Best Buy, but a local music shop with someone there who can adjust the action for you. It will make a world of difference in your playing and your ability to play easily.
    Best of luck on your musical journey!
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Purple Kamoa GC-700, Kala Concert
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Denver area
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    The descriptions of the nut being too high or too difficult to play would be easily solved by taking your instrument to a "real" guitar shop, not guitar center or Best Buy, but a local music shop with someone there who can adjust the action for you. It will make a world of difference in your playing and your ability to play easily.
    Best of luck on your musical journey!
    The current guitar shop is my garage which has so far seen ukuleles shredded in some way or another. I assume the action at the nut on a guitalele or bari will need to be somewhat higher than a soprano ukulele. just something to live with. If the intonation is spot on I really wonder if the action needs to be adjusted. Its nice to sneak in your own tuner when checking over an instrument.

    Just an update. That day (11/19) I actually bought one at best buy. I played it for the first time for a bit quietly at the office and left it there. Then I was gone for business and wasn't in around thanksgiving. Yesterday I picked it up and noticed it buzzing. Shaking it around I heard something under the bridge. So back with the cordoba gp100!

    I wanted to exchange it with the other gp100 in store but that one the nut was VERY high. Currently at best buy the cordoba gp100 is going for 69.99 which might explain why there is only one in stock at all the best buys in my area. I'm sad, I really liked playing some of the classical tabs I had downloaded.
    Last edited by bnolsen; 12-04-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Martin OXK, Natural Concert Fluke, Schoenhut PT5400 (work), Lanikai LU21P (beater), Yellow Burst Dolphin, Plastic Bugsgear, Lanika LU21B Cuatro

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Top 50 Ukulele Sites