NUD: Kala KA-ATP-CTG Solid Cedar/Acacia Slothead Tenor

flyingace

Reaction score
I am proud to introduce the newest Uke to my collection. I ordered it from Mike at UkeRepublic, a wonderful bloke to work with!

kalaukes05.jpg

kalaukes08.jpg

kalaukes10.jpg

kalaukes11.jpg

Congrats! Looks schweeet! Let us know what you think of the cedar/acacia combo.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I will love it. I can already feel there are "songs in there", you know that feeling you get with some instruments that seem to just make your fingers make beautiful music!? This one has it. I only hope my Kala Acacia Tenor doesn't get jealous when I play this one more for a while!

As soon as I get the Southcoast Low G strings in and the U-300T preamp/pickup installed I'll make a recording and post!

I can tell you this though: It's LOUD, it's easy to play with a wider string spacing than my KAT and a little bit fatter neck that feels great. It has a very "classical guitar" kind of sound and it lightly distorts (like my cedar topped Taylor GC5 guitar) when played hard, but in a really good 'burbley' compressed way. It's lighter weight but balanced, AND it's perfectly intonated up and down the neck. I've yet to find an off note (at least according to my ear, not as much the tuner). It has a sweet sound even with the Aquila Re-entrant strings on it and the NU-BONE tusq saddle and nut. (I may go with full on tusq or bone saddle when adding the pickup). Fit and finish is great as well. AND all for $250... it's a steal!

Awesome, congrats. I was looking at that on HMS a few days ago and thought it looked/sounded amazing.

Very nice, I had the version without the slotted headstock and it sounded beautiful.
I believe the top is solid, and the sides and back are laminated.

Very nice, congrats! That may be my next Kala! I played one last night, but since they had a few of them and only one new old stock Kala ASLAT (Lacewood Tenor), I went with that first. Let us know how you like it as you spend more time playing it.

Congrats. I've been drooling over the concert model. Been wanting a concert slot head

RyanMFT and I just played this uke at a shop near us last week. We were very surprised at how good it sounded. REALLY good. Cudo's to Kala for getting this out and at a price that is very affordable. According to the shop owner the Kala's come all set up and ready to go. I love cedar tops and this one didn't disappoint. Action was nice as well on it.

Sounds like a great addition. Second the kudos on the case, too. Very cool looking.

I'll tell you how much I like them. I have two. One for high g and one for low g. I keep my high g here in Hawaii with my low g Kanilea tenor. On the mainland I keep my low g Kala cedar/acacia with an Ohana high g.

If it boils down to it I need two ukes to play what I like, a high and low g. These are absolutely great ukes and I would recommend them to any ukester on a low budget or medium budget who wants to play high and low. They sound great either way. These cedar top acacias are classics. Get 'em while you can.

p.s. Sometimes you might need something smaller than a tenor if your top note on the chord is on the second fret, your middle note on the fifth, and your high note on the eighth. A soprano or a concert might be necessary. Good excuse to buy another uke.

I definitely preferred the sound of the cedar top tenor to that of the cedar top concert. Just fuller, richer.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new and lovely uke! Those Kalas sound like they are mighty hard to beat.

Congrats! I've seen thos uke in the music store...it's really nice....

Top Bottom