Request UUer Impressions - Kanile'a KSTP (Slot-Head Tenor)

rjbopper

Reaction score
Hi fellow UUer's! I'm looking for impressions (playability/tone) on the Kanilea KTSP tenor. Background: I'm looking for a "lifetime" ukulele purchase so the Hawaian "K" brands are definately on the list (BTW, it's gotta be a slot head - can't explain why; just want one!). Anyway, I had the opportunity to try a KTSP (~$1700) head to head with a Kanilea K-1T Premium ($1400) and although greatly interested in the KTSP there were a few troubling observations: the visually stunning KTSP seamed slightly muted and offered less projection than the K-1T. Worse, the action seemed way too high (especially in the higher fret area) for an instrument of that calibre. So, I'm interested in any insights those of you who own (or have tried) this instrument might have. Thank you!

I have read that the reduced mass of the slothead affects the volume/projection of the instrument... certainly does with guitars, I would imagine that with the overall smaller dimensions and weight of a uke it would be even more apparent. Take a uke with a regular headstock and strum it hard... now reach up with your strumming hand and grab the head stock... you can feel the vibrations in it and notice what happens to the sound... same effect as reducing the mass by cutting away material. Or so a wise man once told me...

I did want a slot-head for my next uke for purely aesthetic reasons, but this same factor has me reconsidering... although there is more to sound than being the loudest in the room.

The action can likely be corrected with a good set up...

Which Kanilea had the nicest sound (volume aside), which one had the better playability, which one pulled your heart strings more? I am envious of you being able to play them before deciding... a luxury I don't have.

BP

Top Bottom