Plans for a New Custom Tenor Build

Brad Beach

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I am interested to know what type of tonewood combination produces a very emotional, sustained voice when played on ukulele. When I say emotional, I am referring to a more melancholic mood, as opposed to exclusively vibrant and happy.

I have spoken to a classical guitar-specific luthier who suggested Cocobolo or Macassar Ebony for the back and sides and Cedar or Sinker Redwood for the top. It was also mentioned that different wood combinations will not affect the sound (of a ukulele) to the point where the ukulele is not worth spending thousands of dollars into. This made me skeptical and now I am throwing this out there for all the uke connoisseurs to ponder over.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Yeah cedar or redwood soundboard. Love my vintage honduran mahogany baritone with nylon 1&2 wound 3&4 strings for a melancholic sound. I have two Griffin tenors, both have old growth cedar tops; one has walnut sides and curly maple back, the other is koa back and sides. there is a big difference in sound and projection with the Koa being much brighter. That meloncholic mood is derived from not only the wood and build , but strings and chord shapes also.

Sounds like a typical guitar luthier who thinks the ukes are just toys and not worth the investment of big bucks. For myself, I have no qualms spending big bucks to get the playability and sound I want. I'd rather spend thousands and get one proper instrument than paying hundreds and buying many ukes trying to get the sound and playability I want. I've been playing stringed instruments for over 55 years so know what I'm looking for in an instrument.

Griffin ukulele sells his tenors for 950.00 and well worth it.

Last edited:
Woods which Myamoe calls Cascade woods are from Northern California -Oregon -Washington. Myrtle and Maple have wonderful sound qualities and colours and grain patterns which are as beautiful as many of the others.Sycamore and black walnut will be my next two custom builts. I do not want to have to carry certification papers of the origin of the wood when I travel anywhere by any means of transportation. There are so many wonderful builders that it makes one dizzy trying to decide to have one of them build something.

I love sinker redwood topped ebony or rosewood.

Big thanks to everyone who gave their input.

I have been thinking more about the Macassar Ebony and Sinker Redwood as these tonewoods definitely appeal to me. I am surprised that no one mentioned anything about Cocobolo. My thoughts also lean towards a Kasha uke. Perhaps I should scour around the forums to read about input and opinions about Kasha ukuleles. Of course, first person I think of is no other than, Eric DeVine. I truly wish I could fork out the $4K+ for a custom tenor, but my wallet does not agree. Plus, Eric has a two year waiting list. That is a lot of invested patience, but I am sure worth the wait.

Regarding tonewoods, I found this site that lists an incredible amount of resourceful information: Tonewood Data Source.

All walnut! And get Kinnard to make it
Thank you for your suggestion! I truly appreciate it. However, I am still leaning with other tonewood species. Speaking of which, what would be the tone difference between Macassar Ebony vs Indonesian Rosewood back and sides with a Sequoia Redwood top? Also, does a uke make much difference in sound if I have Macassar Ebony fingerboard and bridge vs Rosewood? :confused:

Top Bottom