::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 18!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have taken some photos of my new Eastman concert uke, but I'm not sure how good they are. When I try to preview them on my computer, they are HUGE and require lots of scrolling in order to see them. I think some of them may be blurred, and not worth keeping.

I'm amazed at how difficult it is to photograph a uke with a glossy finish. It seems that no matter how I tried, I couldn't eliminate the reflections on the glossy surfaces. It made it difficult to capture the beautiful grain and figuring of the wood, and may have even masked the true color. The finish is quite red, which I love. The wood is solid mahogany, and the binding is rosewood.

RichM, notice the differences between my prototype and your production Eastman; the shape of the peghead, the binding, the length of the fretboard. I've noticed, also, that this uke has the neck/body joint at the 12th fret, while my Kala concert is joined at the 14th.

Such a beautiful uke, and I don't think the pictures will do it justice....

View attachment 65971View attachment 65972View attachment 65973View attachment 65974

ooooooh ... you got uke oil on the bed! Big trouble!

Re: Google+
Yeah, I used to have a pseudonym on my YT account, but I figured FB has my real name so whatever and just switched it.
I feel your pain Don.

Re: Tubes video
Yeah, those guys were freaks. "Talk to Ya Later" was one of my favorite songs from that era.

Interesting bit of trivia, the keyboard player, Vince Welnick, later became the keyboard player for the Grateful Dead. He was very talented as both a songwriter and performer. He wrote a couple of songs that the Grateful Dead performed which were never released on an album but became favorites of DeadHeads. He was a troubled soul. He ended up committing suicide in 2006, very sad.

Have I ever mentioned that I hate computers? I hate computers!

I just made a short video playing my new uke. My intention was to upload it to YT so that I could post it here. Sounds easy enough, right? Wrong.

Some time back I joined Google+ when folks here were looking for an alternative to the mini-jams. Now, Google+ is trying to change things on my computer, and trying to force me to change my YT username. They are insisting that I use my real name, rather than the name I signed up on YT with.

I have tried and tried to tell them no, but they won't quit. Now, I can't upload anything to YT unless I change my username. Bull$h!t!! I won't do it.

So, I have spent the past half hour trying to cancel my Google+ account. They tell me it will take several DAYS to cancel it. I don't believe them. The little icon of theirs is still on my screen.

Then I couldn't get my webcam software to shut down. Nothing I tried would close it. Finally I had to shut down my laptop, and then restart it.

Have I mentioned that I hate computers? :mad:

That happened a long while back when somebody bought somebody. We all had to do it Don. I was Salukulady on YouTube, now I'm Sally. It's not just you, everyone had to change.

Yes to what Damon said, Pinch don't turn. Makes all the difference. Much better control.

Soo actually lives in Tigard.

I just went by what was in the upper right corner of her posts.

Mine has a 12th-fret join, as appears to be the standard for this model. Mine is also one of apparently quite a few that were built with a fret marker at the 9th instead of the 10th fret. Since most uke players, don't even know there *is* a 10th fret, it really isn't that big a deal. :D

My Bushman has the ninth fret marked. And I do go up there. If I'm making a jump up the neck and have to look, it throws me off sometimes. It doesn't matter if you don't watch the fret board.

I'm surprised the UWC thread has been quiet and no "roll call" thread yet this year.

I'll be there Mike. Don't panic.

I started one for a roll call. Everyone go RSVP.

Linky?

The best piece of advice I got about friction tuners: Pinch, not turn. Also, and this applies to geared tuners as well, but not as critical: Always adjust up to the note and stop. If you tune too sharp, go back to flat and tune up to the note. If there is any "slop" you want the tension of the string to hold the tuner where it is; if you tune down, there is a chance that the tension of the string will pull it to the "Slop-point" and you will find yourself out of tune quickly.

There is a set screw that adjusts the "grip" of the friction tuner. You want it to be tight, but not so tight that you can only make large movements of the peg, too loose and you won't stay in tune. Once adjusted properly (and I promise it really is not at all difficult) they hold really well - my friction tuner ukuleles hold tune very well!

Hmm! That's really good advice and I'm glad you told me. I always tune to JUST over the note...like one tiny yellow sliver on a chromatic tuner...because I always found that as I played it tuned down. I'm guessing that's the wrong way to do it.

Hmm! That's really good advice and I'm glad you told me. I always tune to JUST over the note...like one tiny yellow sliver on a chromatic tuner...because I always found that as I played it tuned down. I'm guessing that's the wrong way to do it.
If that works for you, stick with it! What I meant is the direction you adjust the tuner in - always tune UP to the note instead of starting higher and tuning down. Where you stop is totally up to you, if you stop a little sharp, fine.

GMTA Rich. I remember listening to the Tubes a lot at Webb.
114181328.jpg

There was no band that was more fun to see live than the Tubes. I made it to 5 of their shows. One time I gave a pair of tickets to my brother and his date was an ultra feminist. She was not amused especially when they did Sushi Girl.

Got a Mono M80 case for the Martin. WAY prefer it to the RB Continental I got for the Imua. More solid and a better fit while weighing about half as much. Headlock is smarter. The only places the RB bag excels are handle comfort and outside pocket capacity.

Martin came with a thinly padded gig bag. Not much protection there.

Last night we watched an adult bunny try to face down a young hawk on the ground (the hawk had made a grab for one of the baby bunnies). That was one bad ass bunny!

I'm having a touch of trouble getting used to the friction tuners on my new Eastman. I love the LOOK of them, but I'm not used to using them. I know that I will get used to them over time, so I'm not worried about it.

I have, from the beginning, planned to swap these tuners out for a set of Gotoh UPTs, which are planetary geared tuners. They look like friction tuners, but provide a 4:1 gear ratio. That's my next goal, to save up enough money to order a set of UPTs for my new uke.

It also needs a decent case. It came with a flimsy nylon gig bag, which I won't use. For the time being I will put it in the case from my Kala concert. What I'd like is a nice, black hard case that is faux alligator, kind of keeping with the vintage vibe....

Friction tuners are an acquired taste. I'm used to them, but I'm still not a big fan. UPTs are awesome.

It's a shame about the nylon bag; my production model Eastman came with one of the nicest (wooden) hardshell cases I've seen. But not as nice as the pale blue fiberglass case I had Elderly send Dave Talsma to ship my 3K in... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom